March 19, 2024, 10:12:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: The Synclavier V... sampling missing ?  (Read 23105 times)

wintersunproject

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
The Synclavier V... sampling missing ?
« on: May 21, 2016, 03:09:41 pm »
Really love the idea of the synclavier V and its sound, but the biggest part of this machine was the way it handled samples..
If i could import a wav and make sounds from there then that would make me want to upgrade and buy it, at present it seems half a project to me, sorry to not sound too positive but it seems a bit odd not to add this to the synclavier suite.
Or maybe I'm missing something here ?

CC4

• Beta-testers
Re: The Synclavier V... sampling missing ?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 05:02:58 pm »
The new Synclavier is pretty sweet.  It sounds incredible and complex evolving sounds can easily be created since they kept with the Synclavier idea of keeping the interface simple to use.  I was also hoping for the sampling capabilities though.  I'm sure that adds a whole other level of difficulty on the programming side of things, but imagine the power that would put in our hands!  Hopefully sampling capabilities are considered on their roadmap for the future of this product.

terrablue

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 05:50:27 pm »
And where is the big silver dial?

jackn2mpu

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 08:57:44 pm »
They left the sampling out? Ouch. Got to see one played back in the 70's/80's and the sampling was a big draw for a lot of people. This was one of two new synths I am really jazzed about in VC5 (the other being the Farfisa) but to read sampling is missing? Looks like I'll be holding off on buying the VC5 upgrade for now.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 11:28:09 am »
They left the sampling out? Ouch. Got to see one played back in the 70's/80's and the sampling was a big draw for a lot of people. This was one of two new synths I am really jazzed about in VC5 (the other being the Farfisa) but to read sampling is missing? Looks like I'll be holding off on buying the VC5 upgrade for now.

This synth is based on the synclavier II  not the 9600 which had the sampling feature.

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

jackn2mpu

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 01:27:08 pm »

This synth is based on the synclavier II  not the 9600 which had the sampling feature.

Terrym
I think you're wrong as shown in these two links: http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/synclav.php and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synclavier
They both show the Synclavier 2 as having sampling (first as an option and later as standard). Arturia needs to do a better job on their research. I know because I've seen the original Synclavier 2 back in the day and it had sampling.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 01:30:24 pm by jackn2mpu »
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 03:11:55 pm »
Im sure the synclaveir II only had sample to disk added in 1983 or so but they changed to RAM in 1984 with the new vpk and sampling tower 3200,6400, and the 9600.

regards

Terrym

TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

CC4

• Beta-testers
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 05:06:29 pm »

Take the Synclavier for a test drive.  I'm not sure of the demo limitations, but I think it sounds pretty damn amazing.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 10:39:58 pm »
Im sure the synclaveir II only had sample to disk added in 1983 or so but they changed to RAM in 1984 with the new vpk and sampling tower 3200,6400, and the 9600.

regards

Terrym
No matter the sample method the Synclavier 2 DID have sampling and for Arturia to leave that out is not right. At least give us the ability to fly in our own samples.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

jackn2mpu

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 10:41:58 pm »

Take the Synclavier for a test drive.  I'm not sure of the demo limitations, but I think it sounds pretty damn amazing.
I've been playing with Synclavier 2 from inside the upgraded Analog Laboratory 2 and it is amazing. A lot like what I remember the sound was and more. But there are other issues with V Collection 5 that I can't stomach and to debate that here would take the thread too far off topic. PM or email me and we'll talk.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

Baptiste Arturia

• Administrator
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 10:22:45 am »
Hi,

The Synclavier V does not allow to import your own samples in the time slice engine, you are right.
We've considered the option of integrating this feature in the software.
But we've chosen to focus on the FM and Additive engines which already offer a crazy wide range of sound design possibilities, especially combined with the time slice feature.

This said, if that's really what the Synclavier V users want, we may reconsider including the resynthesis engine in a v 2.0.
At least give it a try now if you are interested by this synth, you might be surprised.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 12:38:15 pm »
Hi,

The Synclavier V does not allow to import your own samples in the time slice engine, you are right.
We've considered the option of integrating this feature in the software.
But we've chosen to focus on the FM and Additive engines which already offer a crazy wide range of sound design possibilities, especially combined with the time slice feature.

This said, if that's really what the Synclavier V users want, we may reconsider including the resynthesis engine in a v 2.0.
At least give it a try now if you are interested by this synth, you might be surprised.
Thanks for the explanation but the sampling/resynthesis is as much of a part of the soul of the Synclavier 2 as the additive and FM synthesis. It's what helped them compete against the Fairlight CMI and other systems out there. To see that it's not included is sad. There was only one other synth (the Farfisa) in V Collection 5 upgrade that would make me part with my cash for the upgrade. Now I have to think long and hard about purchasing this as it now stands.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

wintersunproject

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 01:01:59 pm »
I think its a missed trick, theres a massive gap in the market for a vintage sampler workstation i think ?
If its going to happen as a version 2 then count me in.
A virtual fairlight would be brilliant too or a virtual emulator II.
Any of these i would use every day, but at the moment its a case of using crappy kontakt sample lkibraries or UVI stuff, which isnt ideal.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 01:41:11 pm »
I think its a missed trick, theres a massive gap in the market for a vintage sampler workstation i think ?
If its going to happen as a version 2 then count me in.
A virtual fairlight would be brilliant too or a virtual emulator II.
Any of these i would use every day, but at the moment its a case of using crappy kontakt sample lkibraries or UVI stuff, which isnt ideal.
So you've encountered the UVI 'Fairlight' emulation then I gather? Not even close. I remember reading in the last year or so that there was a move on to build a new hardware version of the Fairlight CMI. Problem at the time was the D/A converters weren't up to the job spec-wise but they've gotten better since then.

I actually experienced both machines back in the day; they were marvelous then and can still kick butt today given the chance.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 10:51:04 pm »
if that's really what the Synclavier V users want, we may reconsider including the resynthesis engine in a v 2.0.
Please ;)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines