March 19, 2024, 02:45:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: The Synclavier V... sampling missing ?  (Read 23093 times)

jackn2mpu

Re: The Synclavier V... sampling missing ?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2016, 07:17:12 pm »
Hi,

The Synclavier V does not allow to import your own samples in the time slice engine, you are right.
We've considered the option of integrating this feature in the software.
But we've chosen to focus on the FM and Additive engines which already offer a crazy wide range of sound design possibilities, especially combined with the time slice feature.

This said, if that's really what the Synclavier V users want, we may reconsider including the resynthesis engine in a v 2.0.
At least give it a try now if you are interested by this synth, you might be surprised.
Thanks for the explanation but the sampling/resynthesis is as much of a part of the soul of the Synclavier 2 as the additive and FM synthesis. It's what helped them compete against the Fairlight CMI and other systems out there. To see that it's not included is sad. There was only one other synth (the Farfisa) in V Collection 5 upgrade that would make me part with my cash for the upgrade. Now I have to think long and hard about purchasing this as it now stands.
I personally do not care functions Sampler in Synclavier Arturia. And I think you are rather unfair to the team that emulated the legendary synthesizer and worth a fortune. I for one thank them because it can get really complex, evolving timbres, and with a sound that sounds. It's a great plugin.
Sure it's a great a plugin for those that don't have knowledge or experience with the original hardware. To those of us that do it's only half of what could be a truly great plugin. Forgive us or not for being passionate about this - that's up to you. Until we get this we're going to keep on hammering Arturia here and elsewheres until it's a working reality. You may not care about it but we do.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

wintersunproject

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2016, 08:32:34 pm »
THIS !

[/quote]Sure it's a great a plugin for those that don't have knowledge or experience with the original hardware. To those of us that do it's only half of what could be a truly great plugin. Forgive us or not for being passionate about this - that's up to you. Until we get this we're going to keep on hammering Arturia here and elsewheres until it's a working reality. You may not care about it but we do.
[/quote]

deb76

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2016, 11:39:17 pm »
jackn2mpu ==> Sure it's a great plugin to For Those That do not-have knowledge or experience with the original hardware.
True, but I have never worked with the original. What interests me is not before but what I can do with this Synclavier Arturia and obviously I can do many things. Then it's a matter of working, I work with very few samples, and I prefer to create my sound via synthesis, additive and FM here.

PS : What I like is that I started music in 1981 and VAX computer on PDP11 with Music 10 at IRCAM and some Synclavier sounds remind me of some digital sounds of musical Station IRCAM 4X. Enough to my pleasure.

Sorry for my bad english.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2016, 12:17:13 pm »
jackn2mpu ==> Sure it's a great plugin to For Those That do not-have knowledge or experience with the original hardware.
True, but I have never worked with the original. What interests me is not before but what I can do with this Synclavier Arturia and obviously I can do many things. Then it's a matter of working, I work with very few samples, and I prefer to create my sound via synthesis, additive and FM here.

PS : What I like is that I started music in 1981 and VAX computer on PDP11 with Music 10 at IRCAM and some Synclavier sounds remind me of some digital sounds of musical Station IRCAM 4X. Enough to my pleasure.

Sorry for my bad english.
Just because you don't work with many samples and prefer to create your sounds from scratch is okay and I'm not dissing that. We each work different and it's not an either/or situation as some of us create sounds using both samples, FM and additive methods. Using samples allows one to go beyond the static waveforms a developer has in their creation. It's just that there are those of us that do work a lot with samples and for Arturia to call their Synclavier a 'faithful' recreation of the original Synclavier 2 and leave out the sampling/resynthesis feature isn't right.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

LBH

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2016, 03:34:15 pm »
First - Feature requests is okay.

Is this what's all this is about?

3.1 - Synclavier - Video Cassette - [ The SAMPLE-TO-DISK System ]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPzBFcXC2G8
3.2 - Synclavier - Video Cassette - [ The SAMPLE-TO-DISK System ]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK04cjS55wA

Could the samples be modified to sound completely different from the original sample. That perhaps could be something. But it's not shown in theese videos as i can tell.
Don't need another "simple" sampler or more soundfiles to fill my drives.

Being able to import different soundwaves could be somthing i could use. Or a sor a sort of wave tables for the harmonics would be very nice. Only the normal waveforms like sine, square etc., is pre programmed now in Synvlavier V.
Could samples be used like a waveform like that in the origianl Synclavier 2?

Harmonics in therory can create any waveform if you know how to. Okay just 24 harmonics is used in Synclavier V, but still. Don't think that make to many audioble limitations.
Am i wrong?

Why is this sample feature that important? What will it add? Just asking.

And perhaps someone find the videos amusing.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 03:38:41 pm by LBH »

csbyron

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2016, 10:32:38 pm »
Yes, we users really need that sampling Resynthesis option put into the synclavier.
Such a huge part of the software.
I hope you guys can start to implement it within the next 6 months...
There is a need in the market for a vintage sampler with Resynthesis.
There are none!!

Hagen11

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2016, 10:15:10 am »
yes, please do.

drpgleeson

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 11:49:51 pm »
Re "missing" resynthesis: my recollection (I was an early Synclavier adapter back in the day) is that while NED promised resynthesis, there never was a program doing actual resynthesis, which requires two parts: an analysis method of the input waveform and a reproduction method to create the synthesized output waveform. The analysis, to be useful, would have to be more than static -- it would require analyzing many samples of the actual instrument. I won't even get into blown or bowed instruments, which are relatively trickier. But even a resynthesized piano would probably need at least 50 loudness levels (and some classical pianists claim that they have 100 loudness levels at their command). Each of these levels would have a different overtone profile varying over time. You'd have to capture that in some way -- either laboriously analyzing the original waveform many times--every millisecond would be, I'd guess, pretty much the minimum -- or else figuring out some clever way of building an algorhithm that produced an analogous dynamic overtone change based, for instance, on the overtone decays subsequent to the vibration of a taut metal string.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that actual resynthesis has never been successfully managed. I've owned a couple of instruments that purported to produce resampling and they were only able to approximate a "toy" version of the original -- toy flute, etc.

But it's probably more interesting and a whole lot easier to resynthesize a waveform statically -- in other words, reproduce it's overtone series at a single moment of time -- then figure out "interesting" rather than "accurate" ways of dynamically changing it: FM, AM, periodic or aperiodic manipulation of individual overtones or groups of overtones, , overtone frequency shifting, etc. For instance, you could resynthesize an mf piano, then arrange a way of shifting the overtone series from the usual one for most melodic instruments to the overtone series for a struck rod. If this were available as a dynamic modulation using a mod wheel, listening to the transformation could be musically and conceptually pleasing.

Having said this, I doubt that Arturia's going to spend a lot of money developing a resynthesis capability (although I'd love to be wrong); for one thing, not many musicians really want to dive into the complexities of a resynthesis program.  Or any synthesis program, for that matter. One of the guys at Sequential Circuits told me that almost all the original Prophet 5s that came back for service still had all 40 of the original factory patches, without the slightest alteration.   

jackn2mpu

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2016, 01:10:56 pm »
Re "missing" resynthesis: my recollection (I was an early Synclavier adapter back in the day) is that while NED promised resynthesis, there never was a program doing actual resynthesis, which requires two parts: an analysis method of the input waveform and a reproduction method to create the synthesized output waveform. The analysis, to be useful, would have to be more than static -- it would require analyzing many samples of the actual instrument. I won't even get into blown or bowed instruments, which are relatively trickier. But even a resynthesized piano would probably need at least 50 loudness levels (and some classical pianists claim that they have 100 loudness levels at their command). Each of these levels would have a different overtone profile varying over time. You'd have to capture that in some way -- either laboriously analyzing the original waveform many times--every millisecond would be, I'd guess, pretty much the minimum -- or else figuring out some clever way of building an algorhithm that produced an analogous dynamic overtone change based, for instance, on the overtone decays subsequent to the vibration of a taut metal string.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that actual resynthesis has never been successfully managed. I've owned a couple of instruments that purported to produce resampling and they were only able to approximate a "toy" version of the original -- toy flute, etc.

But it's probably more interesting and a whole lot easier to resynthesize a waveform statically -- in other words, reproduce it's overtone series at a single moment of time -- then figure out "interesting" rather than "accurate" ways of dynamically changing it: FM, AM, periodic or aperiodic manipulation of individual overtones or groups of overtones, , overtone frequency shifting, etc. For instance, you could resynthesize an mf piano, then arrange a way of shifting the overtone series from the usual one for most melodic instruments to the overtone series for a struck rod. If this were available as a dynamic modulation using a mod wheel, listening to the transformation could be musically and conceptually pleasing.

Having said this, I doubt that Arturia's going to spend a lot of money developing a resynthesis capability (although I'd love to be wrong); for one thing, not many musicians really want to dive into the complexities of a resynthesis program.  Or any synthesis program, for that matter. One of the guys at Sequential Circuits told me that almost all the original Prophet 5s that came back for service still had all 40 of the original factory patches, without the slightest alteration.   
Somehow I have trouble believing this when it come from someone who's said they're going to use a cracked version of Arturia s/w in this thread: http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=82293.msg111520#msg111520
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

LBH

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2016, 09:48:42 pm »
Hi all,

I found this about sampling and re-synthesis. Is this what you who wan't the resynthesis feature in synclavier want?
http://electronicmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Resynthesis
http://electronicmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Fourier_transform
http://electronicmusic.wikia.com/wikai/Fast_Fourier_transform
http://electronicmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Walsh_functions

As i among other things wrote in this thread: http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=87690.0
"Being able to import different soundwaves like a sort of wave tables for the harmonics would be a thing i could use. Only the normal waveforms like sine, square and saw is pre programmed in Synvlavier V now.
Harmonics can in therory create any waveform if you know how to. And some kind of wave -/ harmonic table could make that easier. So some kind of wave -/ harmonic table is a feature i request."

How should the sample based resynthesis make a better option for Synclavier V?

If the feature was such a vital part of synclavier, why can't anyone that want the feature supply an example of some kind that can make me want it? It would really help me understand.

Best

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:51:46 pm by LBH »

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2016, 05:08:00 am »

Yes, as seen @30:42

or as described here:
Resynthesis on the Synclavier Audio System

or from the July 1984 preliminary version (scanned into a PDF) here: RESYNTHESIS ON THE SYNCLAVIER - THE SFM ANALYSIS PROGRAM

The sampling capability together with the analysis capability would allow us to more easily and rapidly make timbre frames (time slices) based on "real" (or whatever) sounds (samples) which would add another level of frame/slice creation instead of painfully doing it by hand/synthetically (which is just half of the fun).
It would be easier to make more time-based dynamic sounds based on more natural sounding timbre frames (time slices).

IMHO, it would allow us to both have a more complete experience (i.e. the "other half") of dealing with a Synclavier emulation while also allowing us to take full advantage of something that's already in the current Synclavier V version: the timbre frames (time slices), but through the sampling+analysis=>resynthesis angle (because we can already do resynthesis but "manually", by painstakingly creating every time slice by hand).

Re "missing" resynthesis: my recollection (I was an early Synclavier adapter back in the day) is that while NED promised resynthesis, there never was a program doing actual resynthesis, which requires two parts: an analysis method of the input waveform and a reproduction method to create the synthesized output waveform. The analysis, to be useful, would have to be more than static -- it would require analyzing many samples of the actual instrument.
Not sure what you're calling "actual resynthesis". There's many levels of resynthesis and quality. It's like saying an 8bit 8KHz sample isn't a sample, because it's missing a lot from the original. It's always a sample, a low quality one, but a sample, nonetheless.

I think no-one here is asking for high-fidelity high-dynamic resynthesis like you describe.
What's "missing" is exactly what the original Synclavier allowed in 1984 i.e. "automated" creation of timbre frames (time slices) through sample analysis. That's it.

That's, to me, the only "big feature" currently missing ...besides "pure/simple" sample playback... but only as a side-effect bonus of going to the trouble of adding audio (Sample) support in Synclavier  V :)

jackn2mpu

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2016, 01:03:32 pm »

Yes, as seen @30:42

or as described here:
Resynthesis on the Synclavier Audio System

or from the July 1984 preliminary version (scanned into a PDF) here: RESYNTHESIS ON THE SYNCLAVIER - THE SFM ANALYSIS PROGRAM

The sampling capability together with the analysis capability would allow us to more easily and rapidly make timbre frames (time slices) based on "real" (or whatever) sounds (samples) which would add another level of frame/slice creation instead of painfully doing it by hand/synthetically (which is just half of the fun).
It would be easier to make more time-based dynamic sounds based on more natural sounding timbre frames (time slices).

IMHO, it would allow us to both have a more complete experience (i.e. the "other half") of dealing with a Synclavier emulation while also allowing us to take full advantage of something that's already in the current Synclavier V version: the timbre frames (time slices), but through the sampling+analysis=>resynthesis angle (because we can already do resynthesis but "manually", by painstakingly creating every time slice by hand).

Re "missing" resynthesis: my recollection (I was an early Synclavier adapter back in the day) is that while NED promised resynthesis, there never was a program doing actual resynthesis, which requires two parts: an analysis method of the input waveform and a reproduction method to create the synthesized output waveform. The analysis, to be useful, would have to be more than static -- it would require analyzing many samples of the actual instrument.
Not sure what you're calling "actual resynthesis". There's many levels of resynthesis and quality. It's like saying an 8bit 8KHz sample isn't a sample, because it's missing a lot from the original. It's always a sample, a low quality one, but a sample, nonetheless.

I think no-one here is asking for high-fidelity high-dynamic resynthesis like you describe.
What's "missing" is exactly what the original Synclavier allowed in 1984 i.e. "automated" creation of timbre frames (time slices) through sample analysis. That's it.

That's, to me, the only "big feature" currently missing ...besides "pure/simple" sample playback... but only as a side-effect bonus of going to the trouble of adding audio (Sample) support in Synclavier  V :)
Perfectly stated and thanks for the work.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

LBH

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2016, 06:43:45 pm »
Hi Koshdukai,

Thanks for your post and the links.

Maybe i'm slow, but i can't see it's simple, easy or don't demand that much of the software to use samples.

As i understand it, then it's not just importing a sample, and then everything works automatictly to use it for resynthesis.

Reading in the PDF you have posted a link to, then it looks like you have to extract several waveforms using harmonics to build a sound using timeframes like you describe. Also the links i posted suggest so.

Even if it looks like Synclavier for some things could read 128 harmaonics, then all functions only worked when reading 24 harmonics to create timbres to use in timeframes just like you can ceate a harmonic waveform for each frame in Synclavier V.
24 harmonics is what Arturia Synclavier V have to form waveforms. The original Synclavier did not have this feature. It used only Sine waves i believe.

So to me it looks like what the original Synclavier did when extracting waveforms was the same you can do using the harmonics in Synclavier V and you even have more modulation possibilties in Synclavier V.

To me it looks like it's much easier and much better to use the harmonics in Synclavier V.
My feature request is to have more preprogrammed harmonic waveforms availble in "wavetables". Those waveforms could for example even be Brass blow attack, Brass sustain, Brass end and many more like you could/ would/ should do when extracting in the original Synclavier.
My Requested feature can be extended to be able to import harmonic waveforms.
Then one can extract a waveform from a sample using a different software that do this well, and then import it in Synclavier if one want to do so. Why should this feature be a part of Synclavier V that has harmonics to use? I still see it as a optional feature.

I don't know, but i can imagine there is allready waveforms based on 24 harmonics availble somewhere. You can find waveforms to use in wavetables, so why not 24 harmonics waves.

As i asked - what can samples do that the harmonics waveforms can't?
That question is for me essentiel to be answered. The answers i in my current understanding have for this now, is . nothing.

Also i understand it's not the normal sample feature people posted that is interesting. That other samplers can do well today. This feature i would think will be exspensive if it shall match other quality samplers out there.

And apparantly it's not just to import a sample and manipulate the samples sound that is requested either.
So to me the Harmonics - added a "Wavetable" with lots of harmonics waveforms and added a wave import feature is way better and easier to work with. And then you can use another program to extract waveforms from a sample of yours if you wan't to. If such a progrm don't cost that much, then it's okay if Arturia add that to the arsenal. But again - why do it need to be a part of Synclavier V? AM i still missing something? If so  - what?

Best

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2016, 07:39:52 pm »
[...] i can't see it's simple, easy or don't demand that much of the software to use samples.

As i understand it, then it's not just importing a sample, and then everything works automatictly to use it for resynthesis.

[...] why do it need to be a part of Synclavier V? AM i still missing something? If so  - what?

Being able to load a sample into Synclavier V would give us 1 of 2 possibilities:
1) Use Synclavier V as a regular sample player, just like the original Synclavier allowed once upgraded to such.

Being able to do Analysis on that loaded sample would give us the 2nd possibility:
2) To take (24 harmonic) spectrum snapshots at user-defined points in the sample, "automating" the spectrum designing of each of the time slices based on each user-defined point in the analysis process. That alone would use Synclavier's already existing ability to morph those spectrum based time slices through the timeline of the note.

That's all I would like to get out of a feature improvement of Synclavier V which is (AFAIK) what a fully equipped 1984 Synclavier would allow.
I'm basically saying the same as what's described in the linked documents:

«These sound 'pictures' are then spliced together into a series of timbre frames that crossfade from one to the next. (A timbre frame could be thought of as an individual partial timbre with it's own unique set of harmonics, volume, possibly it's own pitch, and several other parameters which you will see as you use the software). The enormous power for RESYNTHESIS then places these automatically computed timbre frames one after another, giving you many, many sets of harmonics in succession as you play the note. In some cases it would be as though you had as many as 64 different partial timbres flying by as you play each note.»

If I'm not mistaken, Synclavier V allows 50 frames per Partial, so if needed and as an extreme, we could have a 50x12=600 frame based 5min (speaking of a sequence of "pictures", then I will call it a) "movie" of a sound. That would be your resynthesized version of the original sample.

If the Analysis process isn't improved, the user would have to manually place/set all those 50 analysis points.
...12 times, 1 per partial for its own 1/12th section of the sample, if you wanted to achieve the maximum accuracy of 600 slices/frames instead of 50.

If improved, this process could also easily be helped with data point rule-based auto-distribution tools, somewhat similar to the kind of improvement Arturia did with the harmonic design tools in the Slice screen.

If I understand it correctly, Synclavier's Resynthesis process only uses the Additive part of its synthesis engine, not the FM part, so the modulator now being also additive in V would be irrelevant for the above... unless you then wanted to manually mess with the additive-based resynthesized sound, through FM :)

If you want to speak of Wavetables, then consider each slice as an additive-based wave and a sequence of those slices to be your additive-based wave "table" but more powerful because the (time) "distance" between each of the waves in this "wave-table" is naturally variable and not artificially controlled by a (often linear) modulator, as usually is in wavetable synthesis.

The Synclavier concept is truly so powerful (and it's all there already in Synclavier V except sample loading+playing) that it really needs a lot of computer-aided guidance (and a well designed UI) to take advantage of its original/current possibilities.

In the current version, the only "computer-aided" layer we have is the Harmonic drawing tools and waveshape spectrum presets together with the Harmonic Select options.
There's a lot more layers that could be added to the existing time-sliced Additive+FM synthesis engine capabilities of Synclavier.

The Sample (loading)+Analysis is just 1 of many of those "computer-aided" layers that can be added to tackle what we have in Synclavier V.
NED was in the right path of technical feature evolution, adding to the time-based Additive+FM the digital sampling capabilities and then merging those 2 into Resynthesis by using the already existing computational power in the instrument.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:22:41 pm by Koshdukai »

jackn2mpu

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2016, 08:19:00 pm »
Hi Koshdukai,

Thanks for your post and the links.

Maybe i'm slow, but i can't see it's simple, easy or don't demand that much of the software to use samples.

Reading in the PDF you have posted a link to, then it looks like you have to extract several waveforms using harmonics to build a sound using timeframes like you describe. Also the links i posted suggest so.

Even if it looks like Synclavier for some things could read 128 harmaonics, then all functions only worked when reading 24 harmonics to create timbres to use in timeframes just like you can ceate a harmonic waveform for each frame in Synclavier V.
24 harmonics is what Arturia Synclavier V have to form waveforms. The original Synclavier did not have this feature. It used only Sine waves i believe.

So to me it looks like what the original Synclavier did when extracting waveforms was the same you can do using the harmonics in Synclavier V and you even have more modulation possibilties in Synclavier V.

To me it looks like it's much easier and much better to use the harmonics in Synclavier V.
My feature request is to have more preprogrammed harmonic waveforms availble in "wavetables". Those waveforms could for example even be Brass blow attack, Brass sustain, Brass end and many more like you could/ would/ should do when extracting in the original Synclavier.
My Requested feature can be extended to be able to import harmonic waveforms.
Then one can extract a waveform from a sample using a different software that do this well, and then import it in Synclavier if one want to do so. Why should this feature be a part of Synclavier V that has harmonics to use? I still see it as a optional feature.

I don't know, but i can imagine there is allready waveforms based on 24 harmonics availble somewhere. You can find waveforms to use in wavetables, so why not 24 harmonics waves.

As i asked - what can samples do that the harmonics waveforms can't?
That question is for me essentiel to be answered. The answers i in my current understanding have for this now, is . nothing.

Also i understand it's not the normal sample feature people posted that is interesting. That other samplers can do well today. This feature i would think will be exspensive if it shall match other quality samplers out there.

And apparantly it's not just to import a sample and manipulate the samples sound that is requested either.
So to me the Harmonics - added a "Wavetable" with lots of harmonics waveforms and added a wave import feature is way better and easier to work with. And then you can use another program to extract waveforms from a sample of yours if you wan't to. If such a progrm don't cost that much, then it's okay if Arturia add that to the arsenal. But again - why do it need to be a part of Synclavier V? AM i still missing something? If so  - what?

Best
Samples can give way more complexity to the sound than just harmonics ever can. You would have to have an infinite amount of harmonics to re-create what a sample can do/sound like.

Let me ask you a question: why does one need to extract a waveform from a sample? A sample IS a waveform; a complex waveform but still a waveform.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines