March 28, 2024, 11:19:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sound quality vs original  (Read 11417 times)

sbDigisound

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Sound quality vs original
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 05:46:33 pm »
Have you matched old and new factory presets?  To me, they sound they same.  I've been unable to recreate my old ones accurately though.  Some lack a certain punch and I'm finding it's because the knob positions don't completely correspond to the older version.

No, not really matched factory presets -  hadn't actually realised they were the same?
I am working on a user modified factory preset I adapted and despite modification to the filter parameters don't seem to be able to get the same quality of filer response.

sbDigisound

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 05:58:24 pm »
Just got a bit closer -  passable replication now.
Big issue is the representation of the "Notch" filter type knob in V2 - pointer doesnt seem to match indicated type.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 06:11:58 pm »
Have you matched old and new factory presets?  To me, they sound they same.  I've been unable to recreate my old ones accurately though.  Some lack a certain punch and I'm finding it's because the knob positions don't completely correspond to the older version.
As I mentioned above in post 11 I spent a good deal of time trying to match up presets once I figured out the name changes between the old and new ones. Some patches are close but there are noticeable differences with some of the newer ones having a bit of a 'sheen' to them the originals don't have. This is not just in the SEM but in others as well.

Disappointing to say the least.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

CC4

• Beta-testers
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 08:29:30 pm »
Just got a bit closer -  passable replication now.
Big issue is the representation of the "Notch" filter type knob in V2 - pointer doesnt seem to match indicated type.

Yeah; I submitted that as a bug.  The VCF Mode knob visually snaps from Low-pass to Band-pass mode, but the Low-pass mode itself doesn't seem to kick in until the knob is rotated to the .088 position.  To me there also doesn't seem to be any way to currently fine tune the oscillators (unless I'm doing something wrong). They can be adjusted in semitones, but using the CNTL-key doesn't seem to control the cents. I can't recreate any old patches without that being fixed, but perhaps I'll just wait for the upcoming patch utility.

I opened the old and new SEM patches side by side and the Portamento knob, decay knobs, and the VCF Frequency knobs don't seem to correspond to their old settings.  Most SEM patches seemed to sound similar to me except that maybe the volume levels have all been a bit better balanced on the new version.  It wasn't too long ago that I beta tested the first SEM, so I doubt that much was changed with this particular instrument.

(My big complaint with the new version is the extremely tiny font size in the top panel.  I like the 60%-70% size setting and my aging eyes struggle to read the text).

LBH

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 09:15:00 pm »
I can agree and confirm. That need to be fixed.

Also that there don't seem to be any notchfilter working.

Big GUI's was to be able to see things. The font's used is to small.

I find there is quite a big sound difference. I'm not sure i'm thrilled about the direction the sound is going. Seems more bright and thin.
Would be nice to compare to the real thing on certain characteristic unique sounds for the synths. I miss that in VC5 too.

Seems to me the values in the display perhaps not allways reflect the correct value.
And it's not so good to have the display in the bottom. It disapears when opening other modules so you have to resize the GUI smaller. So the very tiny Fonts get even smaller. And it's bad workflow.

CC4 - I can fine tune if i use right mouseclick. That's good. But i can't see the fine tuning values in the display.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 09:29:39 pm by LBH »

jackn2mpu

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 02:13:27 pm »
I can agree and confirm. That need to be fixed.

Also that there don't seem to be any notchfilter working.

Big GUI's was to be able to see things. The font's used is to small.

I find there is quite a big sound difference. I'm not sure i'm thrilled about the direction the sound is going. Seems more bright and thin.
Would be nice to compare to the real thing on certain characteristic unique sounds for the synths. I miss that in VC5 too.

Seems to me the values in the display perhaps not allways reflect the correct value.
And it's not so good to have the display in the bottom. It disapears when opening other modules so you have to resize the GUI smaller. So the very tiny Fonts get even smaller. And it's bad workflow.

CC4 - I can fine tune if i use right mouseclick. That's good. But i can't see the fine tuning values in the display.
Not nuts about values being displayed in the lower panel and in some instances they're hard to see with my aging eyes (yep me too CC4). Why can't we have them as floaters like tool tips night next to the control? Or even a pop-up windowlet?
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

Andrew Montreal

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 01:37:35 pm »
I realize that it has been a year since the last post. I just had to add my two cents. Last night I compared the old and new versions of the Mini and the Prophet on my studio system. To put it lightly, they are MAJOR improvements... More definition, greater depth, more engaging filters. Everything. Going back and forth, I couldn't believe how much smaller the older ones sounded... and I really love the Mini v2. And this is even when favouring the older one level-wise. Ignore the patches and simply create a basic sound with the oscillators and filters, you will hear it. THANK YOU ARTURIA!

That being said, I am disappointed that the new Mini uses lower note triggering. I prefer the higher note triggering of v2.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 02:01:04 pm by Andrew Montreal »

jackn2mpu

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 02:07:34 pm »
I realize that it has been a year since the last post. I just had to add my two cents. Last night I compared the old and new versions of the Mini and the Prophet on my studio system. To put it lightly, they are MAJOR improvements... More definition, greater depth, more engaging filters. Everything. Going back and forth, I couldn't believe how much smaller the older ones sounded... and I really love the Mini v2. And this is even when favouring the older one level-wise. Ignore the patches and simply create a basic sound with the oscillators and filters, you will hear it. THANK YOU ARTURIA!

That being said, I am disappointed that the new Mini uses lower note triggering. I prefer the higher note triggering of v2.
I don't remember but can't that triggering be changed? It may be called a different name in the new version.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines