April 26, 2024, 04:16:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: What's a really good VST plugin drum kit for the BSP  (Read 6657 times)

padbury

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • You can twist perceptions. Reality won't budge.
What's a really good VST plugin drum kit for the BSP
« on: March 28, 2016, 12:43:25 pm »
I'd like to know if there are any perfect marriages out there between a particular drum plugin and the BSP.
Prophet-Modular-Mini-Jupiter-CS80-ARP2600-Spark-Wurlitzer-SEM
M-Audio Venom 49 key Synth&Vyzex editor
"The Player" 25 key keyboard
Alesis SR18beatbox
SoundBITEmicro
TraktorAudio2
Live9-Sibelius7
M-Audio MobilePre A2DInterface
MOTU micro MIDI & ClockWorks
Alienware M11x Core i7 1.5GHz-8GB RAM-Win7x64

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: What's a really good VST plugin drum kit for the BSP
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 06:37:29 am »
Not a software user myself, but I'd really think that Spark would be a perfect match being an Arturia product and all.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

padbury

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 07:49:45 am »
Actually I'm finding Spark to be a pain to use with the BSP, so I am looking for alternatives with less hassle.
Alesis SR18beatbox
SoundBITEmicro
TraktorAudio2
Live9-Sibelius7

faster

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 02:34:32 pm »
Battery 3 by Native Instruments is a Perfect marriage ...(or Battery 4) costs more...

Plays great in standalone or VST, interesting thing is that in standalone mode ALL 3 sequencers trigger notes. (Being multichannel)
So you can mute or solo or assign certain notes to other sequencers...
FUN, picked up mine for 25€....
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 04:44:54 pm by faster »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 09:57:22 am »
Interesting Spark is not a good fit with BSP.
I remembered after reading this again I have used Waldorf Attack in the past and it was a great drum vst.  It comes in the Waldorf Edition 2 pack they have for sale.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

padbury

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 01:49:55 am »
Battery 3 by Native Instruments is a Perfect marriage ...(or Battery 4) costs more...

Plays great in standalone or VST, interesting thing is that in standalone mode ALL 3 sequencers trigger notes. (Being multichannel)
So you can mute or solo or assign certain notes to other sequencers...
FUN, picked up mine for 25€....

Battery looks interesting. Could you please explain what happens to the channels when inside a DAW as opposed to standalone?
Alesis SR18beatbox
SoundBITEmicro
TraktorAudio2
Live9-Sibelius7

faster

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 10:52:49 pm »
Battery 3 is a masterpiece Sampler from NI.
 Firstly, what changes when loaded into a DAW as VST, is that you can choose MIDI channel, so you can direct ch.10 into Battery.

There is no sequencer, it is the most advanced SAMPLER in VSTs . As a standalone or VST it's excellent.
There is a deep editor per sample...global, too much to describe...you can make templates, map assign, etc...
It is now discontinued (still supported), and can be found second hand for a good price...
Don't worry about the original DVDs in case they are bad. I got a download link from NI.

padbury

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 01:17:44 pm »

Battery 3 is a masterpiece Sampler from NI.

Thanks for the tip, I tried Battery and agree with you that it is awesome with the BeatStep Pro.

It is amazing how Battery integrates between the BSP and Ableton Session View.

After 20 minutes template creations in MIDI Control Centre, Ableton and Battery, I got 16 Stereo drum channels playing out of BSP sequencer 3,
through 16 Battery drum "cells" and into Ableton Session view to 16 separate stereo channels for recording / mixing / effects / playback.

I also used the BSP metronome MIDI channel for the main kick drum - for another stereo drum channel out of Battery.

BSP Sequence 1 & 2 are also happily playing whichever drum the MIDI note points to in Battery, if I take the time to figure out
which notes play which drums I could have another 2 stereo channels, different from the other 17 "fixed drums", because Seq 1 & 2 are
not limited to one drum per channel, instead can play as many different drums as there are note changes in the pattern. This is very cool.

BSP MIDI output records into Ableton nice and easy, then plays back from Ableton through Battery flawlessly.

Can't remember the last time I fired up a new VST that had so many good impacts on my rig.

Certainly makes the BeatStep Pro come alive.

Anyone interested in my Spark Creative Drum Machine? I don't think I need it anymore!
Alesis SR18beatbox
SoundBITEmicro
TraktorAudio2
Live9-Sibelius7

faster

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 05:16:39 pm »
Very happy to hear that it worked out for you and obviously you went even deeper with your configuration. ;)
It really is the best sampler.

the "VST" can be "copied" and you can run several instances of Battery-3, with different samples/kits on different midi channels...if you want...

And under the hood adjustment per sample is fantastic...assignments, mapping, FX, strokes, rolls,...plays loops...etc..
Then you save the kit with a name for future BSP use....

I don't quite understand what you're doing in the MidiControl Center?...And why or how you use that editor. I never use that thing... I do everything in Battery.

What I don't understand about Arturia is their lack of support for their OWN products, which is incredibly lame.
They made iSpark for iOS iPad use and it's NOT compatible...So I got refund.
 Way to do business Arturia...
All companies that I know make sure that their hardware is compatible with software so you integrate...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 05:29:36 pm by faster »

lolp

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 01:11:00 pm »
This is not the first time i have heard about the compatabilty between the BSP and and Battery. I use both but the wondererd is somone could clear somthing up for me?

After i have mapped the BSP encoders in control mode to Battery, if i changed to a different kit i loose al the settings. is there any way to stop this happening?

padbury

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 01:21:22 pm »
Yes you can drag individual new samples in from the library to replace the existing samples without losing the mapping. Can't do it at a kit level, at a sample level.

This is not as bad as it seems. As there are only 16 active samples. One example I have used is to create three 16 sample kits all from the same large kit, arranging like for like with the types of samples like three kicks, 3 snares. I then play the bsp once and mix three channels each with a different kit on the same midi note into one output
Alesis SR18beatbox
SoundBITEmicro
TraktorAudio2
Live9-Sibelius7

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines