April 19, 2024, 11:51:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Getting Beatstep Pro setup with Volcas  (Read 27951 times)

ThoungPounder

Getting Beatstep Pro setup with Volcas
« on: May 16, 2016, 01:50:41 am »
Helllooooo everyone,

I recently got two Korg Volcas, a Pocket-Operator(Rhythm) and the Beatstep Pro. I was instructed to buy a Beatstep Pro in order to coordinate the sync with all of the synthesizers and be able to have them operate together in tandem. But to be brutally honest I have no idea how to set them up just to function at a basic tempo sync'd level. I really need guidance as i want to learn how to make this work and be able to play what i record on the synths together. I looked at google images for feedback, watched Youtube videos to see if there was any way i could mimic how other people are setup but i just haven't been able to find anything substantial.  :-\

Below is a very basic image with the outputs showing. If someone could guide me through using the legend on what goes to what, or even make their own photo to share i would love to get some feedback of how to get started.

Much obliged!

-Thoung Pounder

jasonvezina

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Getting Beatstep Pro setup with Volcas
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 07:44:25 pm »
Are you looking to control the midi for the Volcas/POs? Or just the clocks?

I've used my BSP with a Volca Bass and Beats through midi with success. In my case I'm going midi from the BSP to a Quadra-thru midi splitter, and then that goes to the two Volcas. Then I make patterns on the BSP for the Volcas to play (rather than using the patterns saved on the Volcas).

If you're just looking to do temp sync I think you could go Clock Out from BSP into Clock in on one of the Volcas, then Out from that Volca to the In of the next Volca, and then send that to the Pocket Operator (I have no experience with those so I don't know how that works).

Hopefully that makes sense? Let me know if I can do anything to clarify or if I've misunderstood what you're looking to do.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 09:33:24 am »
I own a Beatstep Pro, a Volca Beats and a TE PO Office.  I'm running only the midi clock into the Beats (using an Akai ME30P to only send midi clock to the Beats) and then I clock my PO from the Volca gate trig out.  This ensures the tempo for the PO is in sync with the midi clock.
The is no way to remotely operate the PO's, they can only be synchronised via a unique analogue trigger pulse (2ppq) only used by Korg and TE... It's a little annoying, but at least there is a way to get the PO's to sync with midi without having to wait for 25 years (like I did to get a midi sequencer that could sequence my MS20 with more than 8 steps and was actually affordable).
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

StutzJr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 04:57:16 pm »
I haven't been following these Arturia forums in a while, but I have come up with a solution that works for me to convert the BSP clock output into my Volca Sync In.
I have used a little PatchBlocks unit to convert the clock signal using this patch and now the bsp clock output controls the volca tempo + start/pause via the volca sync input.  This allows me to use all of the midi sequencers in the bsp separately on other gear AND use the Volca's internal sequencer in sync with the bsp :)
I will continue to add features to this patchblocks patch as necessary and based on any feedback from other users.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 04:04:09 am »
I've thought about this in the past but have not had the chance to sit down and program it.  I was also thinking of setting up the Patchblock to be able to vary the pulse rhythm, like add swing for example or run at a different division.  Have you uploaded the patch to the Patchblock site?
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

StutzJr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 09:43:25 am »
@megamarkd yes I linked to the patch I posted on the patchblock site above (http://patchblocks.com/groups/patch/synchronise-beatstep-pro-volca)

I'm currently experimenting with the bsp clock output options to see which would work best with a patchblock to implement something like your suggestion i.e. swing or changing division.
So far I think that if you change the swing setting on the bsp it does not appear to change the signal output when set to "1 step".  If I come up with any significant improvements I will post back here.

smutek

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 07:19:51 pm »
I'm curious, why not use Midi cables to connect the Volcas?

I have my Volcas plugged into a Midi Solutions Quadra Through. They work really well with my BSP. I have a bunch of stuff hooked up, but if it were just the Volcas -

|---> Volca
BSP -->| Quadra-->|---> Volca
                            |---> Volca
                            |---> Volca

This way you're not just getting clock, you can sequence your Volcas from your BSP.

Alternately, you could run Midi out of the BSP, into one of the Volcas, then Sync out from that Volca into the others. Set the Midi synced Volca to a channel the BSP isn't using if you don't want the sequencer. Now the midi synced Volca will receive clock and start stop from the BSP, and the other Volcas will receive clock from the first Volca in the chain - and you can still use the BSP sequencer for other stuff, like VST's or whatever.

BSP <--|--> USB <----> Computer / DAW / VSTi's
           |--MIDI--> Volca 1 --Sync Out --> Volca 2 --> Sync Out --> etc.

Is that helpful?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:22:06 pm by smutek »

Jorge Mills

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 11:29:01 am »
Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to Beatstep. Hope you can help me out a bit!

I'm trying to control my Volcas with Beatstep via MIDI Quadra Thru as suggested by "smutek". This is my set up:

|---> Volca Beats
BSP -->| Quadra-->|---> Volca Bass
                            |---> Volca Keys
                            |---> (empty)

PROBLEM: for some reason the Volca Keys and Bass are both in MIDI channel 1 so they both play the same notes AND the same sequence. That is, they both respond to and play only sequencer 1 (SQ1). I cannot use the Beatstep's SQ2 no matter what I do. I have checked the configuration of the Beatstep's MIDI channels in the MIDI control centre and SQ1 is assigned to MIDI channel 1, SQ2 to MIDI 2 and Drum is assigned to MIDI channel 10 (this is the default setting for the Beatstep according to the manual).

Funnily enough, my Volca BEATS works alright via MIDI channel 10.

Might this be a problem with the Quadra Thru that isn't splitting the MIDI signal? I don't think so because the issue seems to be that no signal is being sent for SQ2 via channel 2 OR ANY OTHER CHANNEL (I did try setting the SQ2 to other channels but was useless).

How did you guys set up your Volcas with the MIDI Solutions gear? PLEASE, HELP!

BillyBegonia

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 11:42:14 am »
change the mini channel of your volca : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55m-m0NMDwc

korhanerel

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 12:04:00 am »
Having recently played my first-ever techno performance using a Beatstep Pro, a Volca Sample, a MFB Tanzmaus and an Organelle, I can see one benefit of syncing the Volca to the BSP over sync. It's a benefit that will probably not apply to many people, but here it is:

With the Organelle, you can modify incoming MIDI data and generate new MIDI data. In my current setup, I use the BSP also as a controller for the Volca Sample, where I send MIDI to Organelle (out of the knobs on BSP) that get transformed to various MIDI CCs for the Volca SAmple (that runs using 10 MIDI Channels). This means I can change the Length of three sounds at the same time with one BSP knob while the same knob also changes the Hi Cut. This is impossible to do on the Volca itself obviously. However, this setup has (or had) one problem. I have to route the MIDI clock from the BSP to the Volca Sample over the Organelle, which can be problematic (though I haven't really noticed an issue yet). After writing the first version of this post, I realized Arturia did add the Korg sync feature, so now I can sync the Volca with one cable and send MIDI to it from the BSP over the Organelle!

Controlling the Volca Sample over an Organelle or some other small computer that can generate MIDI turns it into something entirely different. Granular synthesis, amazing textures, etc are all possible with realtime control. Highly recommended. Turns the Volca into something more than a sample-based drum machine.

I do also use a MIDI Thru box to sync everything else and works just fine.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 12:25:58 am by korhanerel »

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 07:13:18 pm »
Hi all,
BeatStep Pro now supports sync with volcas (2ppq), since firmware v2.0

Best,
Y.

BodoBrute

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 02:18:44 pm »
A new post in an old topic, I know. But I think it fits in here:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2016/06/15/volca-vibes-budget-midi-splitter/

The video features Nick Batt and Gaz Williams and thus is reliable :D.

I received the Belkin splitter last week, and additional BSP MIDI adapter yesterday.

I need three of those adapters in total for my setup: One to connect the E-RM MIDI Clock to the BSP's MIDI-In, and two to connect the Volcas (Bass and Beats in my case) from the MIDI-Out.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 03:37:45 am »
A new post in an old topic, I know. But I think it fits in here:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2016/06/15/volca-vibes-budget-midi-splitter/

The video features Nick Batt and Gaz Williams and thus is reliable :D.

I received the Belkin splitter last week, and additional BSP MIDI adapter yesterday.

I need three of those adapters in total for my setup: One to connect the E-RM MIDI Clock to the BSP's MIDI-In, and two to connect the Volcas (Bass and Beats in my case) from the MIDI-Out.

Dude, buy a proper MIDI router and do it right.  Reign in the spiderweb to only one, not three.  iConnectivity make an awesome range of MIDI routers that are really well priced and can create a more organised studio space.

I do wish that Sonicstate would take that video down.  They know it's slightly misleading to say that an unpowered fiveway headphones distro can work as a MIDI splitter.

This trick is not reliable won't work if you try to split the MIDI signal any further than two ways.  Notice in the video that they never run more than one device at once, even though they have 3 plugged into the splitter.  Go to the YouTube video address and notice in the comments section the number of people saying "it doesn't work once I plug a 3rd Volca in!".  Do a search on the internet to find out the exact reason it doesn't work, or just take my word on the fact that splitting a digital signal using a simple audio splitter will result in multiple weak signals that can't transmit complete data (randomness ensures, which some my find a use for).

Other things to note about the Belkin headphone splitter; it has some form of leveller.  I use one for when I want to combine signals and have noticed an auto-levelling effect occur when I monitor what happens as successive devices are activated.

In the end, if you want to split or combine a MIDI signal, get a purpose made splitter/merger.  Use audio tools for audio not digital information transmission.  Yeah it works to an extent, but not too well and you will end up back here saying "I spent money on this thing so I could get around buying the proper thing and it's not working with all the things running at once. Why won't it work? Do I need to buy seven of them?"......Just get the correct tool for the job and spend more time playing music and less time playing technician.

BodoBrute

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 04:25:47 pm »
won't work if you try to split the MIDI signal any further than two ways.

That's perfectly OK for me. And easier than buying a third Kenton MIDI Thru 5  8).

spend more time playing music and less time playing technician.

Please don't tell me what I should do. I can decide for myself.

I generally like what and how you post, but actually think you went a little over the top this time.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:48:06 pm by BodoBrute »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 08:47:03 am »
won't work if you try to split the MIDI signal any further than two ways.

That's perfectly OK for me. And easier than buying a third Kenton MIDI Thru 5  8).

spend more time playing music and less time playing technician.

Please don't tell me what I should do. I can decide for myself.

I generally like what and how you post, but actually think you went a little over the top this time.

Sorry, I didn't mean for that sentence to sound like I was telling you how to suck eggs, it was a general statement regarding trouble shooting vs playing music with no malice intended.  I do enjoy the technical challenge of using electronic instruments, but can get rather fed-up if I have to play technician for longer than I am expecting when I sit down to play music.  After bodging may things over the years, I am now very much a fan of buying the correct tool for the job and encourage others to do the same in good spirit.  My MIDI woes did reduce exponentially when I replaced a Phil Rees V3 and a Kenton Merge4 (and a bunch of Novation controllers with multiple assignable MIDI outs) with a MIDI patchbay/router.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines