April 16, 2024, 09:00:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Release of sound cut off rather than faded - bug?  (Read 4121 times)

rasmusviking

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Release of sound cut off rather than faded - bug?
« on: April 14, 2016, 11:12:02 am »
Hi all,

New forum user here.

I've noticed an annoying bug when creating a new sound from the initial single patch. I've got ENV2 modulating VCA2 as standard, and not much other modulations going on (patch screenshot attached) The issue is that the release of a sound is always cut off rather than smoothly faded to zero, regardless of the ENV2 release parameter setting. I've attached a short sound file to illustrate what I mean, the only processing done is normalising the level so you can clearly hear the sound being cut off.

I might very well be doing something wrong ,so would be grateful for any suggestions, or in case this is a verified bug, for a fix to be issued. I've loaded a couple of factory presets but haven't been able to hear this behaviour there, even with effects turned off, so I'm fairly certain there must be a setting that I've forgotten to activate.

Many thanks,
Erik

LBH

Re: Release of sound cut off rather than faded - bug?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 02:21:31 pm »
In the MOD page you have set VELOCITY to control VCA2. That's the problem.
Try to set the VELOCITY to control the VCA1 instead if you need a control like that.

There are some more informations in the original hardware Matrix owners manual. My first link is dead i just realize. But perhaps you can find the manual on the web, Perhaps here it looks like: http://www.daveporter.tv/jason/Oberheim%20Matrix-12%20manual.pdf

Velocity modulation for a VCA is recommended to do on VCA1 unless you wan't something like that you are hearing. If you turn up both VCA1 and VCA2 you here sound constantly bypassing the ENV control of VCA2, so i assume the explanation  is, that when you set Velocty on VCA2, then you just open VCA2 for a time period relative to the amount of Velocity send to the VCA2, and then it just close and stops sound after that time period. When having Velocity to control VCA2 directly, then you are not using a envelope like you do when you let Velocity control the ENV that control VCA2.

Looking at your MOD section, then perhaps what your are trying to do is achieved by letting VELOCITY control ENV2AMP -  as ENV2 is controlling VCA2 in the MOD page that is the default setting.

Hope that helps you.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 03:04:31 pm by LBH »

rasmusviking

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Release of sound cut off rather than faded - bug?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 03:05:59 pm »
Hi LBH,

Thank you, that most certainly would be my mistake. I'm probably still a bit confused by the two VCAs, and will try changing the mod destination tonight to see that it works. Thank you also for providing the link to the original manual, very thorough and explains a lot of matters.

Regards,
Erik

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines