April 20, 2024, 04:12:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: USB connector problems  (Read 5834 times)

paulshillito

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
USB connector problems
« on: March 13, 2016, 12:08:06 am »
I would like to say although its a bit late now that i wish they had used the full sized square USB connector (like on the MiniBrute etc) on the BeatStep Pro because the micro type versions are just not up to the job and are very easily damaged, especially when this is the only way to power the unit and transfer data.

I have had to hard wire the connector cable directly to the PCB when the connector broke off completely and my BeatStep just sat around normally but must have had a knock to the USB connector at some point which will happen unless you set it up and never move it.

Unless you are handy with the soldering iron and stripping the BeatStep Pro down this is not a practical solution for most and sending it back for repair is their only option but hard wiring does fix this design flaw of using poorly chosen components for a key operation of the whole device because a repair will just give to back the same problem again in the future.

I see that the KeyStep has both USB and power connectors and whislt they still use the micro USB connector you can power it a normal power supply when you dont need to transfer data, they should do that with the BeatStep Pro too if they update it and that would make it more robust.

There would be enough room to add a power connector even if they couldn't use a full sized USB port as is proven in the KeyStep, then we would have a much better operation for the sake of a few pence in changing one component.

jose

Re: USB connector problems
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 11:04:01 am »
Hello! Just noticed that my ABSP has a damaged connector.. if you would be kind could you please provide at least some detail which circuits to use in order to hard wire the USB connector?

I am lame at circuit repairing, but I think I could do it with a little help here 

paulshillito

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 03:36:38 pm »
Well, it's quite easy but really fiddly because the micro USB connector is very small and so are the tracks to hard wire it to.

What i did was to cut the end of the original USB lead but keep the ferrite bead in the big white blob at the end of the cable. You have to disassemble the beatstep pro so you have just the PCB then remove the USB connector, if it has not already fallen of as it did with mine.

If you look up the wiring of a USB connector they are the same for the big ones as well as the small ones so its a case of just seeing where the wires would go if the connector was in place.

The +5v is at one end of the connectors and GND is at the other end so its easy to solder those to the board, the data + and data - connectors can then be traced back to a couple of surface mount components, I soldered the leads to those but they are very small and i had to use a jewellers eye piece to see I had done it with out any solder bridges.

I cut a slot in the the plastic of the top case so then when it when back together it would drop over the cable which was in place.

All in all a fiddly arse job but it worked and the result is a fully working beatstep pro and no connector issues. :-)

Ryan V

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 12:30:41 am »
I once had to repair my Minilab MK2. But instead of sending it in for repair I purchased a replacement jack board for the square USB whatever type it is. Alas, here I am again needing to replace the replacement jack board. Though I am trying to find a quicker retail option to acquire it.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines