April 19, 2024, 01:01:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: I made an album sequenced from the BSP  (Read 2373 times)

atte

• a773.dk
I made an album sequenced from the BSP
« on: February 29, 2016, 10:56:39 pm »
I spend february making an album with my modular, sequenced from the BSP

https://a773.bandcamp.com/album/songs-from-my-modular

Hope you enjoy it half as much as I enjoyed making it  :)

faster

Re: I made an album sequenced from the BSP
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 10:36:46 am »
Sure did, thanks for sharing, excellent  :)

atte

• a773.dk
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 11:15:32 am »
Thanks. Means a lot!

I had a PM with questions about how this was done and how much I used the BSP. Thought I might as well post the answer here, in case anyone cares :)

Almost everything is made with the BSP.

Most tracks started out as a one or two section groove with only the BSP and my modular (no drum machine). This would have the main elements going, drums, bass, some additional noises, some melody-ish thing. I especially love the random features in the BSP. After working that out, I recorded each part (mostly 1-4 bar loops, sometimes just single hits of some modular noise) as samples my DAW (renoise), typically 6-10 tracks, with the BSP synced to renoise. I recorded lots of variations on each part, having the BSP do its random stuff, and maybe wiggling a few knobs along the way. These "alternatives" were stacked and are selected randomly from renoise to preserve as much randomness as possible.

Then I did some arranging in renoise, laying out the basic structure of the track (they are quite song-like in structure, hence the album title), stuff like intro, a, b, solo, build, interlude, outro. Then I added more layers, little details, additional melodies either syncing the BSP to renoise or by sequencing from renoise, using the BSP as a midi-to-CV interface.

The chopped up beats on a few tracks are breakbeats mangled in renoise (which is great for this) and the piano is me playing my acoustic piano, recorded into renoise "live". Besides that almost everything else is coming from the modular.

BTW: Here's what my modular looked like when working on the album:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:20:41 am by atte »

Amalgamoth

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 12:11:20 pm »
You had me fooled thinking that all this was a product from the Arturia Modular V and the Beatstep. That would've been awesome. So it isn't, but I still think your modular gear looks awesome anyway. Lots of bleeps going on, man!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines