March 28, 2024, 08:52:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep Pro - Play button over MIDI  (Read 15601 times)

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
Re: Beatstep Pro - Play button over MIDI
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 10:03:45 am »
Hi guys,
I do not see anything to fix. A MIDI sequencer sends MIDI system realtime messages (Clock, Start, Stop, Continue). It could be disabled, but I do not see the point. Usually, it is up to the slaved device to take it into account or not. Does your DAW start if not in external sync mode? -> No. Does BeatStep Pro start if it receives MIDI Start when it is set to "INT" (Auto Sync de-activated)? -> No.
I really think the culprit is the M32, not being able (according to you) to ignore those messages. In this case, an external MIDI filter could be used (e.g.: Miditech MIDI Thru 4 / Filter). Arturia may provide a fix for addressing a MOOG issue, but IMHO, it should come from MOOG.

Regards,
Y.

paulskiogorki

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2018, 08:16:08 pm »
Hi everyone

After some investigation I have found a solution that works for me that I'll share here. Unfortunately it involves some extra gear, but in my case I'm satisfied because I don't need or want to have a computer around.

My solution uses MIDI from either Keystep or Beatstep Pro. I got an iRig MIDI 2 and an iPod running the MidiBridge app (newer iOS devices should use MidiFire app instead - same developer but more features for more current versions of iOS).

When configured properly, the iOS app filters out the MIDI Real Time messages so that only the notes go through when I press play.

This works OK for now, but I did have to shell out $ for the iRig and the app.

Ideally I want a solution using CV but this requires some sort of module that offsets the voltage from Arturia's 0/10V to Moog's -5V/+5V. I guess there are a bunch of modules that do this but I only have the Moog's and not other modular stuff so I'm still looking for a standalone solution for that. Anyone had any luck with this?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 06:56:11 pm by paulskiogorki »

daveisfloating

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 10:07:18 pm »
Hi guys,
I do not see anything to fix. A MIDI sequencer sends MIDI system realtime messages (Clock, Start, Stop, Continue). It could be disabled, but I do not see the point. Usually, it is up to the slaved device to take it into account or not. Does your DAW start if not in external sync mode? -> No. Does BeatStep Pro start if it receives MIDI Start when it is set to "INT" (Auto Sync de-activated)? -> No.
I really think the culprit is the M32, not being able (according to you) to ignore those messages. In this case, an external MIDI filter could be used (e.g.: Miditech MIDI Thru 4 / Filter). Arturia may provide a fix for addressing a MOOG issue, but IMHO, it should come from MOOG.

Regards,
Y.
Sorry for sh*tposting here but this just rubs me wrong.

I'm a software developer and I think that's a pretty crappy attitude to have. If you want a reason how about: Making your product so awesome that is compatible with all kinds of other awesome hardware. I think that's the point of these controllers, right? And isn't that what makes MIDI so awesome as a standard anyway, that its so universal and can work with anything? Seems like a reasonable position to take instead picking a side on whose responsibility it is. I get "separation of concerns" and all that, but really?

From an uninformed and novice user it would seem that we're just asking for the ability to disable the "Pause, Play, Restart" button so it doesn't send a signal out. Seems about as useful as the other 7 configurations in the Transport Settings section of the MIDI Control Center.

For those of you who want an immediate workflow fix, just hit the "stop" button on your Mother-32 right after you hit the play button on your Keystep. Hard to do if both hands are busy but works in a pinch.

(Also note: And this thread has over 7,000 views. I think there's interest in this topic. )
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 10:09:13 pm by daveisfloating »

FuzzTony

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 08:03:50 pm »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just got a BSP yesterday and had a similar issue with my Volca Sample.  The problem is not really the BSP, it's how the other device responds to start/stop messages.  In the case of the Volca Sample, setting it to ignore the midi clock from the BSP solved the problem.  (and I can still sync the sample's sequencer to the BSP's tempo using a 1/8 cable). 

I don't have a Mother 32 but found page 50 in the Mother 32 manual in about 2 minutes: "Programming the Tempo Input".   Please try some of those options, as the manual is very vague, but it may have the effect of essentially choosing another clock source thereby disabling the reception of the start/stop commands.

I do agree that an option in the MCC to actually disable these transport messages from the source would be helpful.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines