March 29, 2024, 01:34:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Spark Sparking (what it does best)  (Read 1020 times)

jasonduerr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Spark Sparking (what it does best)
« on: January 27, 2016, 03:41:23 pm »
Spark has (was) an integral part of my setup. I've purchased all the expansion kits, and there is a lot of disappointment.
The expansions are not useful. They are kind of instant remix, sounds good as a demo, but not terribly useful.

Spark should do what spark does best: Be a drum set.

here is an example of a Spark operating in that space...
https://fkillmary.bandcamp.com/track/pain-high

To the Spark maintainers... please, no more 'samples', just give us good clean drum kits. We'll do the rest.
Thanks!

oopsi

Re: Spark Sparking (what it does best)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 11:21:33 pm »
I am sort of in agreement here as I do not need more samples and prefer to make my own. But having some instant patterns in midi is handy as a starting point and is kind of the point of having a drum machine in the first place. Would love to see more use of the analog and physical modelling engines. So +1 for moving away from sample expansions with limited flexibility and more quality kits/projects from Nori Ubakata as expansions please!     

jasonduerr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Spark Sparking (what it does best)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 07:24:06 pm »
!! yes !!
It's also difficult to start fresh and build your own sets.
All of their stock kits have a ton of EQ, settings, trims, whatevers.
Only real option is to use an existing set as a template to build your own.

That stuff aside, Spark does something incredibly fantastic...
The fact that you don't have to save. When you close ableton, and open it back up, everything is right where you left it.

Other workflow gripes...
It probably exists, but is not immediately obvious how to copy one pattern to another when your hands are on the hardware.
It would also be nice to have a 'dump' button that pushes all MIDI patterns for your current set (A1-A16) to the Ableton strip.
Similarly, I have to ensure I never have data in pattern 1 so i can do playback without data 'adding' to the mix.

The 707, Studio Drums, 80's and Jazz kits are killer. The rest of them can basically die.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines