March 19, 2024, 03:51:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Filter envelope behaviour when playing fast  (Read 4580 times)

jeffbart

Filter envelope behaviour when playing fast
« on: August 29, 2015, 11:58:36 pm »
When playing fast on Mini v, in monophonic, it sometimes sounds like the filter cutoff gets higher and higher, as if the envelope level is cumulative when it's triggering over and over again quickly (without finishing the whole envelope cycle). i.e. you trigger a note and if it has a long filter decay on it and you retrigger before the decay has completed, the cutoff sounds higher than if you waited for the decay to finish.
Is this standard behaviour on the original hardware?  I never owned one so can't tell.
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
the amazing Modartt Pianoteq
Arturia things
tc electronic konnekt 24d

stickman393

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Filter envelope behaviour when playing fast
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 05:09:41 am »
I have noticed this behavior also, I assumed it was a bug. No other "minimoog" VST acts like that. I've never played a physical minimoog so I can't comment as to whether this is expected behavior.

LBH

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 04:40:11 pm »
There are some threads about this in the forum.

The behavior is in some extend a original minimoog behavior. A characterictica for the synth. It has to do with the "Contour".

I also at first felt the behavior was more than the original do. But i'm not sure after trying to recall. I still think the behavior in MINI V sometimes is more out of control and do it more than the original. But not as much as i first thought. However i do believe the MINI V can be polished. Also in this area.
(For instance the softclip unfortunately create attach and release clicks on some sounds. But that's another story.)

By the way - Avid9736 has posted this in another thread: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov99/articles/synthsecrets.htm
Modify message

jeffbart

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 07:13:03 am »
An experiment - all oscillators off, filter emphasis set to self resonate, both keyboard control of filter switches set to off and small amount of contour - it's really easy to check the behaviour. It seems to be influenced by the decay time of the loudness contour as well, which is surprising, as I assumed the filter contour and loudness contour would be independent. With small amounts of loudness decay, the filter cutoff jumps around quite erratically when notes are played quickly. As the loudness decay is increased the cumulative change to the filter contour is smoother, more predictable.
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
the amazing Modartt Pianoteq
Arturia things
tc electronic konnekt 24d

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines