March 29, 2024, 08:00:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: I need help with sound design.  (Read 5875 times)

Icy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I need help with sound design.
« on: November 11, 2015, 10:35:57 pm »
Hello dear users of these amazing plug ins :)

I kinda need your help to figure out specific synth patches i came across and i know that these producers use these synths in order to create them.First patch would be this one : (i just started learning synthesis so i am kinda new to this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFl8L8pYXAI Synth starts from 3rd min.

Second one starts :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVp-UOEur6Y 3:15

And last one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDplc6-VwXs !:50

I can what is happening in this sounds (there is a lot of filter automatisation etc) but i really tried to get something similar but i failed numerous times.So if someone can assist me to make these patches i would be most grateful but i need more direct and detailed explanations.Even better would be if someoen could recreate these patches and upload them here ( i could even pay that person one like 5euros via paypal so he can get some beer , ice cream coffee or whatever as sign of appreciation )

Icy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: I need help with sound design.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 03:00:28 pm »
Bump

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 03:53:30 pm »
Great production in these clips, lots of compression on the drums, nice and tight. I think if you work your way around the Arturia Mini V, especially the recent chord presets, you'll find what you are after. These sounds are all about layers, so try to add them together detuning and slightly changing the filter cut of of each layer.

Hope that helps

Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

Icy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 04:49:05 pm »
Thanks for reply.

These tracks are mixed and mastered by Hannes Bieger who has a lot of experince in mixing electronic music + he has really nice collection of analog compressors.Thats why they sound really nice and tight.

As for sound design, if i need to use more voices and have a good control over them , i should probably use Oberheim SEM (because of programmer) ? And just out of curiosity and for the sake of learning new stuff, when i turn on polyphony on Mini V, how i can have control over each voice ? I know on Oberheim there is voice programmer but i never have seen somethign similar on Mini V. These are maybe noobish questions but i really want to learn as much as i can about synthesis... i dont want to rely on presets.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 05:58:10 pm »
Best place to start is presets. You can then edit them and hear what is being done to the sound. Then relate that to another sound. Synthesis is a big subject, give it a google.

There are template presets in the Mini V that give you a basis for a sound, you can then build it up. Then move on to something like the ARP or the modular where you can patch things together. It's a very big subject and the best advice is really to play around with it, there are no right or wrong ways to do it.

The moog doesn't have voices in the same way the Oberheim does, it's a mono unit but the software version has made it a poly unit. Poly meaning more than one note at a time (Polyphonic as opposed to MonoPhonic) the numbers which drop down are the number of notes that can be played polyphonically, 1,2,3, 4 8, 16 and 32

Stuart   
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

LBH

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 07:57:58 pm »
Hello dear users of these amazing plug ins :)

I kinda need your help to figure out specific synth patches i came across and i know that these producers use these synths in order to create them.First patch would be this one : (i just started learning synthesis so i am kinda new to this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFl8L8pYXAI Synth starts from 3rd min.

Second one starts :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVp-UOEur6Y 3:15

And last one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDplc6-VwXs !:50

I can what is happening in this sounds (there is a lot of filter automatisation etc) but i really tried to get something similar but i failed numerous times.So if someone can assist me to make these patches i would be most grateful but i need more direct and detailed explanations.Even better would be if someoen could recreate these patches and upload them here ( i could even pay that person one like 5euros via paypal so he can get some beer , ice cream coffee or whatever as sign of appreciation )

The art in sound design is the use of for instance:
1. Noise - (Blend with noise or use noise to modulate parameters.)
2. VCO3 as a modulator in the audioble zone. (Change for instance sound when the filter modulation is on.)
3. Waveforms (Blending waveforms creates many variations. Also depending on the mixer settings.)
4. Mixer (Volume settings - the balance - can change a sound character.)
5. Envelopes (Important. Subtle changes can mean a lot.)
6- Glide (Can also change the character of the sound.)
7. Modulation Matrix and LFO and other modulation forms in different synths - (Lots of modulation possiblities.)

Other things also give possibilities including the use of soft clipping also when used together with the external input (feedback).

The way you play a sound is also very important.

Don't be afraid to use preset's. But it's good to learn some synthesis. Also to change a preset. If you want to learn, then i can only suggest you use the needed time to experiment with the MINI V and other synths to get a felling of what you have to do. You have to experiment. Noone can say that sound then you do this and that, unless they have allready created the sound. You don't learn if anyone else make the sounds. That's like using presets then. Also it can be very hard to recreate a specific sound 100% if possible at all without knowing the original synth and parameter settings.
Remember it can take a lot of time to create a good sound. A recreation of a sound can take even more time.

For instance noise, envelopes and other modulations of both filter parameters and tuning parameters is essentiel in the 3 sounds you ask for. Very nice sounds BTW.

Hope this can help.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 08:21:26 pm »
+1

You'll have to edit even the best presets as they will be set for the input of that particular part. This is never going to match the audio you use, his goes for plug ins and instruments. In a mix, sounds that sound great on their own could sound terrible in the mix.

As said up there, play around and experiment.

Thanks, Stuart 
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

Icy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 03:27:41 pm »
Thanks for the help guys, i now understand the synthesis is just an art (and science) and you need play around :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines