March 28, 2024, 11:35:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BSP feature request: polyphonic sequencing  (Read 15311 times)

OrbitalChiller

Re: BSP feature request: polyphonic sequencing
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 12:47:41 am »
Hello everybody. I personally am fine with monophonic sequences programmed in the Beatstep Pro but i am encountering an issue that is driving me nuts. An issue that isn't directly related to sequences but to polyphony when using an external keyboard controller within BSP midi input. Here is my problem: When a channel is selected to a polysynth, I can play chords using the BSP pads. However, despite that, when i play through my midi keyboard (M-Audio Keystation61, plugged to BSP midi in, set to the same channel, etc.), the input from my keyboard remains monophonic, even if the same synth can play chords on PSP pads. It's ok for recording sequences (which will be monophonic anyway) but if i wanna play polyphonic using my keyboard, performing chords on top of my loops, i can't. Why is that ?!  Is there something i am missing in the -quite cryptic af- MIDI Control Center (i've tried a lot of settings) ? Pls Help ! Cheers.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:08:05 am by OrbitalChiller »

luchod1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 08:02:24 pm »
          ...Also, don't forget, the BSP already has a polyphonic track. You don't need to use it for drums- be creative, and it can send chords to synths....

I use the drum track to play/record notes and chord, I've mapped the pads in MCC in order to get the same 1 octave keyboard layout as seq 2 and 3.
I can also play and record chords via a midi keyboard conected to BSP

But i can't make notes any longer than what's defined by gate parameter, wich is too short.

Any idea on how make ties or longer notes in drum seq?

It's really interesting to use it in this way, my drums come from drumbrute (i'm a loyal customer haha) please make polyphonic in drum seq easier!

menegass

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 01:04:21 am »
Questions:

Is the Beatstep Pro processor capable of handling many more tasks? Because I have the following impression:

1) The processor "chokes" when it saves without stopping the sequencing.

2) Was the program written in an efficient compiler? I imagine that the source code was written in high level language. Or am I wrong?

Does anyone know which processor the Beatstep Pro uses?
The Alesis MMT-8 has a medieval processor and works perfectly. I think it's just a matter of implementation, making Beatstep Pro a sensational sequencer. It can still improve a lot.
============
Menegasso
============

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 12:05:11 pm »
Any idea on how make ties or longer notes in drum seq?

You can't.  You can turn up the release on your synths.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

luchod1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 04:34:04 pm »
Thanks megamarkd, I was getting nice chords stabs and now maybe can record some sustain chord progressions...I'll try it!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 04:05:12 am »
It's nice to move between stabs and pads, only without a hold type parameter as part of your envelope, you won't manage to get long attacks on your pads.  Experiment and find the settings that work best with simple triggers.
Years ago when I only had one sequencer and one drum machine, it was a common thing for me to send the drum part to a synth.  I even made a drum map where the common instruments were occupying the notes of the C minor scale so as to be able to have somewhat of a tune being played on ch10, or at least usable note once the synth receiving was transposed to the key of the piece.  I'm thinking you can do the same here with the drum sequencer's pad map in MCC.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines