March 28, 2024, 06:37:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to start and stop sequencer with DAW  (Read 7587 times)

karmakarmakarma

How to start and stop sequencer with DAW
« on: October 19, 2015, 07:17:22 pm »
Hi,

I've searched this forum and others trying to find a way to start the Modular V sequencer with my DAW (specifically Ableton Live 8).  I have followed the process of setting midi sync to "on" and assigning the input below the sequencer start button to "external sequencer start", but that does not work.  I have found that if I assign the sequencer stop button to "external sequencer stop", I can stop the sequencer if it is running by pressing the stop button in Live twice.  One press does nothing... two presses stops the sequencer.

Wondering if I am overlooking something obvious. 

Thanks

LBH

Re: How to start and stop sequencer with DAW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 12:17:44 am »
Hi,

I've searched this forum and others trying to find a way to start the Modular V sequencer with my DAW (specifically Ableton Live 8).  I have followed the process of setting midi sync to "on" and assigning the input below the sequencer start button to "external sequencer start", but that does not work.  I have found that if I assign the sequencer stop button to "external sequencer stop", I can stop the sequencer if it is running by pressing the stop button in Live twice.  One press does nothing... two presses stops the sequencer.

Wondering if I am overlooking something obvious. 

Thanks

FWIW - My DAW Studio One 3 start and stop the sequencer with one press only.

But is there a way to get the sequencer to play from where it was stopped when pressing start? To me it seams like pressing start allways reset the sequencer to step 1. Would be nice if there was an option about this. Perhaps Arturia could make this?

I'm not an Modular V sequencer expert, so if anyones knows anything please join in.

ben arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 09:33:43 am »
Hi,
In order to start/stop sequencer with your DAW start you must select external sequencer start as trigg input of the Oscillator in sequencer module.
Pressing play with your DAW will engage sequencer.
Pressing play always restart the sequencer.
I will list this feature in our base.
.......testing.......

gnolo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 02:28:09 pm »
Hi,

I'm having the same problem. The Sequencer of the Modular is properly set up BUT when I use the START TRIGGER with EXTERNAL SEQUENCER START nothing happens (tested with Logic X 10.2.2 and Live 9).
Any Ideas if there is some internal set up inside the DAW that could solve my problem ?

karmakarmakarma

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 04:59:53 pm »
I never could get "stop" to work as it should.  I can start a sequence by placing a note in the DAW's midi note sequence, but stopping the sequencer with the DAW transport is a total mystery.  Damn shame too... the sequencer in the Modular V is good and creative.  Wish it worked with Live.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 10:26:34 pm »
What triggers are your envelopes using?

Try to make your envelopes use the sequencer trigger if they don't do that allready.

If your envelopes for instance are using keyboard on trigger, then they only trigger if you play a key. And in that case if your sequencer use both the external sequencer On and Off  triggers you only hear the sequence if your DAW is runing while you press a key.

Hope this helps you.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 10:30:00 pm by LBH »

gnolo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 01:51:19 am »
On my side, the VCA Enveloppes are trigged by the Sequencer. When I launch the sequencer manually using the start button, it works fine: only the sequencer controls the gate and pitch of Oscillators.

For me the real problem is the Modular V doesn't receive the start/stop control from my DAWs.

LBH

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 03:49:29 am »
In my DAW Presonus Studio One Professionel on windows 10 it works when i have external sequencer trigger on/ off on the Sequencers on/ off and use Modulars internal sequencer trigger for my envelopes.

It looks like that's how you do it gnolo.
Perhaps there is a problem between Modular and some DAW's and/ or OS. What OS version do you use? The info might help Arturia if they can do something about it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 03:55:39 am by LBH »

gnolo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 11:07:50 am »
I am using Mac OS X 10.11 If it can help.

I've read on another forum that it works fine with Studio One, I will try with a simple patch (mono Oscillator only) from blank.

edit: I've just tried on Ableton Live and it's still not work. I noticed then that when I stop the DAW It activates the red light on the top of the VST but not when I press start but and it's not stopping the Sequencer.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:18:25 am by gnolo »

LBH

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 03:12:35 pm »
I know many have had issues of different kind using music production software on El-Capitan. Have read one calling it El Crapitan. But i actualy don't know. I thought things had been fixed. But perhaps not everything it seems.
I guess you have all your things updated. Else you can try that.

Also in the last couple of years i've been hearing about many different issues with Ableton. Perhaps it's hard for software developers to keep up if OS's and DAW's get many changes that affect the plug-ins way to behave.

There are reports with issues using different Operation systems and DAW's.

I don't have any red light. I guess it most be something in your DAW, and that it's indicating some kind of activity is going on.

I understand Arturia follow this forum. However to be sure it's perhaps best if you contact Arturia support about this, and give them all the informations.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines