April 19, 2024, 07:04:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to output LFO CV ?  (Read 3664 times)

ArguZ

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
How to output LFO CV ?
« on: October 17, 2015, 01:00:33 am »
hi there,

i am looking for a way to generate some trippy and interesting LFO signals and output them through the CV ports.
How would one do that ?
Any idea for BitWig or Logic ?
i kinda would like to avoid Eurorack modules as i think digital solutions are much more versatile, and we have CV outs em masse.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: How to output LFO CV ?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 07:32:34 am »
Hi, the BSP doesn't actually process midi information besides note value, velocity and gate time.  It leaves all other data alone so even if you were to get an LFO to be transmitted via midi it wouldn't be passed through to the cv outputs.

BUT, if you are happy to sacrifice one of your BSP note sequencers, you can use it as cv modulation source by plugging the note or velocity output into the cv input of your synths's filter cutoff, or any other cv controlled parameter.  Create a pattern setting the note values to mimic an LFO, eg: sst step onet at C0 then uniformly increase the value of each step following 8 steps if you are only running a 16 step 'LFO' (half your sequence length) then bring them back down to C0 again from step 9 to 16..  Set the gate time to slide to smooth the stepping.  Change the note division for the sequence to dramatically increase or decrease the 'LFO' speed.
You can do the same using the velocity track but you can't smooth it out at all.

Have Fun.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

oopsi

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 11:18:57 am »
Good explanation thanks I will try this asap.  8)

RadicalAns

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 03:58:52 pm »
Note that creating a LFO this way will result in the voltage being stepped rather than smooth. If you want a smooth change in voltage you will have to run it through a slew limiter like Make Noise's Maths or Function.

RadicalAns

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 04:01:44 pm »
Though, upon further thought, would having the notes tied together avoid stepped voltages?

Bernhard

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 01:21:31 pm »
BUT, if you are happy to sacrifice one of your BSP note sequencers, you can use it as cv modulation source by plugging the note or velocity output into the cv input of your synths's filter cutoff, or any other cv controlled parameter.  Create a pattern setting the note values to mimic an LFO, eg: sst step onet at C0 then uniformly increase the value of each step following 8 steps if you are only running a 16 step 'LFO' (half your sequence length) then bring them back down to C0 again from step 9 to 16..  Set the gate time to slide to smooth the stepping.  Change the note division for the sequence to dramatically increase or decrease the 'LFO' speed.
You can do the same using the velocity track but you can't smooth it out at all.

Have Fun.

Hi,

I'm very curious to how far this can be taken... can I do this FOUR times, independent for each of the 4 CV outputs:  Pitch 1, Velocity 1, Pitch2, Velocity 2 ?   

(4 times, not 6:  I assume gate 1, gate 2 are just that, not scalable in voltage)

Thanks!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines