April 27, 2024, 02:49:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MIDI mappings for TR8…  (Read 3511 times)

dananimal

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MIDI mappings for TR8…
« on: October 14, 2015, 11:05:23 am »
I've started off working with the default chromatic drum map and a Roland TR8 which is an odd pad layout.

Attached is the pad layouts for the BSP's Chromatic and GM Drum mapping and how the TR8's voices fall in each mapping.

Using the BSP's chromatic mapping isn't ideal, obviously having two lines of the same snare isn't great nor the odd gaps. The General MIDI mapping is worse for TR8.

I'm interested in adopting a better layout for these voices. Are there any existing mappings being used for the TR8? And I can't decide if I should overlap the common drum voices with the CV gate enabled row of pads or not.

I figure I better get this sorted sooner than later as I don't suppose there's an automatic way to transpose drum patterns between pad layouts/ MIDI mappings. (and I now have a bunch of patterns in this layout)

Aldo87

• Apprentice
Re: MIDI mappings for TR8…
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 08:47:26 pm »
Hi, I need to expand this topic because I have some problems with my tr08 also.

I can trigger the drums in control mode but not on the drum sequencer.

Would you help me to set up the midi messages correctly please?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: MIDI mappings for TR8…
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 10:57:39 am »
I've started off working with the default chromatic drum map and a Roland TR8 which is an odd pad layout.

Attached is the pad layouts for the BSP's Chromatic and GM Drum mapping and how the TR8's voices fall in each mapping.

Using the BSP's chromatic mapping isn't ideal, obviously having two lines of the same snare isn't great nor the odd gaps. The General MIDI mapping is worse for TR8.

I'm interested in adopting a better layout for these voices. Are there any existing mappings being used for the TR8? And I can't decide if I should overlap the common drum voices with the CV gate enabled row of pads or not.

I figure I better get this sorted sooner than later as I don't suppose there's an automatic way to transpose drum patterns between pad layouts/ MIDI mappings. (and I now have a bunch of patterns in this layout)

Missed this post way back when the BSP was a youngun.  I don't recall if it has a custom drum map option back then but that is the answer to the issue.

For the sake of having the info up here, this is what is needed:

Open MCC and select Device Setting tab.  Scroll down the Drum Map settings and select custom.  Enter the different MIDI note numbers to the desired pads and assign them the same MIDI channel your TR8 is running on (CH10 out of the box).

Hi, I need to expand this topic because I have some problems with my tr08 also.

I can trigger the drums in control mode but not on the drum sequencer.

Would you help me to set up the midi messages correctly please?

Sounds like you have the wrong You will need to make sure you have the same MIDI channel assigned to the BSP as the TR-08.  On the BSP, select the DRUM track then press and hold the CHAN button to show what channels the different tracks are assigned to.  The step lit in purple will indicate the DRUM channel.  From there you can change the channel to that required.  Now, you say that the TR-08 is being triggered in CONTROL mode which tells us that the CONTROL channel is the same as your TR-08 which is the step lit in red.  So while you are holding the CHAN button in DRUM mode, select the step that is lit in red to match the MIDI channel of the TR-08.  If all is good, you will now be able to trigger your drum machine using the BSP pads while in DRUM mode.

You may find that your pads don't exactly match your TR-08 so you are going to need to check up on that and fix it if that is the case.  To check this, it is the same as what I described for setting-up a custom drum map in MCC (Device setting tab, scroll down to drum map).  Here is a link to the TR-08 MIDI implementation chart and instrument note number assignments: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/TR-08_MIDI_Imple_Chart_eng01_W.pdf
When you swap the drum map from Chromatic (default setting) to Custom, check that the note numbers on there match those on the chart.  Notice that there are a few instruments that have two numbers next to them in the second list.  They will eat some of your access to addressing all the instruments on the TR-08, so you may want to create a custom drum map by copying the numbers from the first list.  Set the channel to Drum Channel and you will be all set!

Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines