https://forum.arturia.com/Themes/arturia/images/img/Community.jpg
Home    Arturia Forums    Harware Legacy versions    Origin    Origin Presets & Templates Zone    : If a tree falls in a forest « previous next »
Carre bleu  If a tree falls in a forest
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: If a tree falls in a forest  (Read 12102 times)
hermitnerd

Paul Schilling

WWW Email
« on: September 25, 2015, 07:34:15 »

Just curious - is anyone still looking at the Templates Zone here? I want to post some more programs and multis but... if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? :-)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 08:48:50 by hermitnerd » Logged
tomoe97

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 10:46:56 »

I still check this forum periodically. Additional multis for the Origin would be most welcome! Thank you!
JacksonP
Beta-testers

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 11:51:24 »

Me too. Your Multis have been really the best. Take Kraftwerks Robots bass sound for example... Amazing stuff!
dwp2659
Apprentice
Apprentice

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 04:43:45 »

your stuff is awesome - i love playing them and i learn much from them
pstnotpd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 05:02:19 »

I'm quite new to the forum and I'd like to see more sharing as well.

bigbrass
Apprentice
Apprentice

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 03:47:58 »

I know it seems like this origin community is dying off, having been abandoned by arturia, but I think we're all  longing for more of your origin stuff. It rocks!
BTW, I've skimmed through your presets on matrix12 V, and they're excellent as well.

tertior

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 11:20:20 »

Paul you are the source of origin; Origin  without you   is dead . I like wildly  the Dervish preset  and i'm waiting the news.
tertior

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 11:25:52 »

For this everyone had a karma
hermitnerd

Paul Schilling

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 04:22:58 »

There is still life in the forum! :-)

I'm still committed to the Origin. I have a keyboard AND a desktop version (desktop in living room, keyboard in basement studio).  I have a lot more Multis (and many more planned), buy haven't had the time to record good audio demos for them in the last 2 years but I think I will just post the .ogs files and worry about the soundcloud demos later.
pstnotpd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 09:15:45 »

@hermitnerd

Good!

Unfortunately another sequencer knob had died on me, so I'm preparing for a soldering session to replace the encoders with the bourns parts.

Vampyre
Apprentice
Apprentice

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 02:25:38 »

These are gold for me!
paulshillito
Apprentice
Apprentice

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 03:14:46 »

But at least the other trees in the forest will hear it.. :-)

And I'm just putting in my Origin back to a working condition after 4 years of sitting in the corner with knackered encoders, so finding these templates and patches just reminded me of how good the Origin is.

There was a time before encoder death that it was my go to synth for almost everything and now after trying and owning quite a few more synths I'll be glad to get it back up and running again, so I for one would love to here see more templates and patches, thin if they are just .ogs because i want to know how you did it, other than being a genius sound designer that it of course :-)

One more thing, as you have a keyboard version how much does the pitch strip add to the usability, i would have thought for CS80/Vangelis type stuff it would be invaluable, you hardly see Origin desktops come up for sale let alone the Keyboard versions but it would be a toss up between that and a Waldorf Q keyboard because of the more unusual synth/wavetable engine the Waldorfs have.
hermitnerd

Paul Schilling

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 10:46:17 »

But at least the other trees in the forest will hear it.. :-)
And I'm just putting in my Origin back to a working condition after 4 years of sitting in the corner with knackered encoders, so finding these templates and patches just reminded me of how good the Origin is.

There was a time before encoder death that it was my go to synth for almost everything and now after trying and owning quite a few more synths I'll be glad to get it back up and running again, so I for one would love to here see more templates and patches, thin if they are just .ogs because i want to know how you did it, other than being a genius sound designer that it of course :-)

One more thing, as you have a keyboard version how much does the pitch strip add to the usability, i would have thought for CS80/Vangelis type stuff it would be invaluable, you hardly see Origin desktops come up for sale let alone the Keyboard versions but it would be a toss up between that and a Waldorf Q keyboard because of the more unusual synth/wavetable engine the Waldorfs have.

Hi Paul! Thank you for the kind words. I have the "erratic big knob" issue on my desktop module as well but I have learned to work around it for now (turn it slow, spray some contact cleaner every once in a while...)

It is still my favorite synth. I do have the keyboard version as well (no big knob issue on that one) but it has been collecting dust of late. They did do a very good job with the design of the ribbon. And a few weeks ago I would have said there aren't really any great alternatives, but recently I bought the Linnstrument, which works very well with Origin.

It senses and transmits polyphonic aftertouch with beautiful sensitivity (which the Origin supports), and pretty much makes the pitch bend wheel obsolete since you can now do bends and vibrato with horizontal movement of your fingers. And it has a mode where the bottom row acts as a pitch ribbon while you can use the rest for normal playing. Linnstrument is quite extraordinary. People have been waiting for controllers like this since the early days of synthesis, they are finally here. I will post some videos of using it with the Origin at some point.
pstnotpd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 08:53:24 »

Hi Paul,

Just a heads up. I managed to nurse my desktop with seemingly dead encoders back to health with a combination of deoxit 5% spray and 100% pen. The treated encoders now have noticably less resistance which might put you off but they work fine.

B.t.w. I've connected a QuNexus which also allows bending using key pressure. It's a bit easier on the wallet :)

Cheers,
Patrick
paulshillito
Apprentice
Apprentice

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 01:25:46 »

@hermitnerd
I had a look at the Linnstrument and it looks quite interesting, i'm a bit hesitant because i'm a terrible keyboard player at the best of times and it looks good in the hands of someone that can use it.
Every time i seem to get something i think would be a god send to me it turns in to a bit of a disappointment and at £1200... oouch that's a lot, its pity they don't rent the things out to really let you try them. Seen a few videos on youtube so i'll have to just keep watching and pondering unless one pops up on ebay cheapish, unlikely though.

@Patrick
I've taken the slightly more drastic step of replacing all the encoders, seeing as they cant really be relied upon and the replacement Bourne ones, (which i think is what they probably designed the unit to use but then used the cheaper Chinese ones because the the boards are made in china) are really quiet cheap at about 1$ a piece.

So 33 encoders plus shipping & VAT to the UK from Digikey in the US cost about $70. I'm going to make a video of what involved for any one else who has the same wonky encoder issues and is looking to replace them seeing as Arturia are more interested in all the new toys they are temping us with than fixing the older stuff.

I tried the contact cleaner method but the Jog wheel was so far gone it made no difference. About 5 others where showing signs of flakiness and the cleaning method didn't really make much difference there either, so i thought that whilst i have the thing apart i might as well do the lot.

The Bourne ones has a rotational life of > 100K where as the chinese ones are rated for only >30K rotations.
The ones on mine have done hardly anything and I cant see 30K on the jog wheel either, the overall quality of the factory fitted ones seems to be the main issue.

We#ll see in a few days or so how that works out :-)

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Division cadre
Jump to: