March 29, 2024, 09:23:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to calculate a scale in a certain key?  (Read 2577 times)

janglesoul

How to calculate a scale in a certain key?
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:36:16 am »
Hi,
I bought my Beatstep used really cheap, so I'm not going to complain about its limitations. I know there is a Pro model, but I'd love to read more tricks how to workaround the shortcomings of the OG, to make the most of it in my workflow.

I often write songs on guitar. So when it's time to write a melodic synth sequence (ostinato) or a bassline I want it to match the key of my song. So my question is, what would be the best way to do that without opening up Midi Control Center.

Let's say I want to match a song i D-minor. And I'm starting from a random template with random notes. I can of course set the Beatstep to a minor scale. But is there any way to set it to D-minor straightaway? For example, if I tune a pad to D - can I then ask Beatstep to calculate the correct scale based on that pad?

I find this section (below) in the manual, but don't see that it answers my question.

Any help much appreciated!

6.2.3 How the root note of a sequence is determined
The actual note sent by a BeatStep sequence at any given moment is the sum of three parts:
1. Thenotethatwasselectedforthecurrentsequencerstep
2. The setting of the Overall Transpose parameter, which may be changed either by editing the value in the MIDI Control Center or by simply turning the big encoder while holding the SHIFT button
3. The lowest incoming USB MIDI note currently playing in the DAW track that matches the Sequencer Channel. This note will transpose the sequence based on its relationship to middle C (C3). For example, an incoming C3 won't transpose the sequence, but an incoming D3 will transpose the sequence +2, etc.

allnight

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: How to calculate a scale in a certain key?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 05:09:47 pm »
In my DAW {Ableton primarily, but the principle should be the same) I'd create a new midi track, select Beatstep as the input, go to midi effects insert the pitch device, change the root + or -, on Beatstep pick the scale.
On the Beatstep track output send to the device or instrument you'd like to use.
Or on your instrument track select the Beatstep midi channel as the input, I'd guess you could do this with multiple instruments and don't focus the Beatstep output.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:34:19 pm by allnight »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines