March 29, 2024, 05:46:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Using the same knob for two different instruments in ableton 9  (Read 2724 times)

albertoperez

Using the same knob for two different instruments in ableton 9
« on: September 05, 2015, 01:17:19 pm »
Hi there!

I have recently adquired the MiniLab midi controller. I've had no serious problems so far but i'm stuck with something I can't sort out. My question is the following:

How can I ( if possible) assign the same knob to two different instruments in ableton 9 ? I got to assign the same knob, that's not the issue. The problem is that anytime I use the knob, it modifies the parametres in both instruments and not only in the ableton channel which is selected.
So, my question is:   Can I assing the same knob to change the parametres of two (or more) instruments but only modify the ones on the channel which is selected?

I know it must not be so complicated, but I can't figure it out. I've searched in forums, but can't find any specific post on this issue.

Thank you in advance

DonovanBartish

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Using the same knob for two different instruments in ableton 9
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 09:25:24 am »
Try using different MIDI channels on your MiniLAB when assigning and using the knobs in Ableton.

One really cool thing about the MiniLAB is that you can switch the channel on the fly using the SHIFT button and the first sixteen keys on the keyboard.
They are labeled as such above those keys.

When you use MIDI learn in Ableton, it remembers what MIDI channel it was. The same knob learned on channel 1 is different than channel 3.

You can get really creative doing things this way, and effectively gives you 256 knobs (16 x 16) you can play with in Ableton.

A pretty simple but reliable solution, provided you can keep track of what is assigned to what MIDI channel.

It can help to keep certain MIDI channels related to certain tracks.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

8) Donovan 8)

stefan.o

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 02:25:22 pm »
I would suggest not using Ableton Live to configure the instruments but use their own assignment/MIDI learn feature instead. The 'problem' with Ableton's implementation of MIDI assignment is that (1) it arrogates the assigned controller for use exclusively with what it is assigned to and (2) the controller remains active regardless of whether the relevant channel is armed.

If you use the VSTi's own MIDI learn feature it will respond to the controller only when the channel is armed. This may be a pain where the instrument does not have a MIDI learn feature or where there is one but it is irritatingly implemented, but for most modern VSTis it's easily done.

romiaz

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 11:37:10 am »
Try using different MIDI channels on your MiniLAB when assigning and using the knobs in Ableton.

One really cool thing about the MiniLAB is that you can switch the channel on the fly using the SHIFT button and the first sixteen keys on the keyboard.
They are labeled as such above those keys.

When you use MIDI learn in Ableton, it remembers what MIDI channel it was. The same knob learned on channel 1 is different than channel 3.

You can get really creative doing things this way, and effectively gives you 256 knobs (16 x 16) you can play with in Ableton.

A pretty simple but reliable solution, provided you can keep track of what is assigned to what MIDI channel.

It can help to keep certain MIDI channels related to certain tracks.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

8) Donovan 8)
hi donovan!! your response is very brilliant and was very helpful to me...and its not present in any explication or manual by arturia...so i would to know where you can find such thinghs...like i want to understand the other possibilies that you have in the midi controller centre interface...such what can i do with MMC..Switched control...Patch change most of all...how can i use the different channels in global parameters and so on...i really want to use the minilab at his best but i dont have any resourse to look at!!so if you have any hint please let me know
cheers roberto

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines