March 28, 2024, 06:41:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Minilab keyboard selection problem  (Read 4615 times)

Rfaith

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Minilab keyboard selection problem
« on: September 04, 2015, 02:12:59 pm »
I have had a long series of problems with SparkLE controller but for some reason I still bought the MiniLab keyboard rather than the Akai equivalent (I know, I know). The SparkLE problems pale into insignificance against the MiniLab.

Arturia (anyone?): What I would like to know is this. In Analog Lab I go to SETUP, then AUDIO MIDI SETTINGS, and in "MIDI devices" I uncheck everything except the "Arturia MiniLab" that shows in the drop-down list. Yes, the computer sees the MiniLab and so does the Analog Lab software (it's a miracle!). I close the dialog box and click on the SYNC button but the keyboard remains dead to the software (same problem I have with SparkLE, just a little less often these days).

I go back to SETUP -> AUDIO MIDI SETTINGS and scroll down the "MIDI devices" list. Everything I unchecked remains unchecked, but the "Arturia MiniLab" is now unchecked again! I can't get that damn box to remain checked!

If I use the "MIDI control center" it can't "see" the device either. Or rather, it knows that the keyboard is connected because it appears in the list of connected devices, but if I try to do anything with the MiniLab keyboard in the "MIDI control center" it tells me that the device is being used by something else (it certainly isn't, because I can't get anything to use it, not even the "proper" software!).

I still have time to return this thing to Thomann, but that time is finite. If I've not fixed this within the week it has to go back and I will buy the Akai instead (that's not a threat, it's simply what I will have to do, because working with the MiniLab is an anti-musical experience - I want to play, not become a computer tech).

I've tried running it all through ASIO4ALL and also through the Realtek ASIO, not to mention Windows audio and Directsound, thinking that some of those might be to blame, but no matter what changes I make there, things remain broken.

So, PLEASE, Arturia, can we at least fix this one thing? It might even make some of the other problems go away!

Yours, in desperation...

Rfaith

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Minilab keyboard selection problem
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 03:49:33 pm »
I should add that this is in standalone mode (both for Spark2 and Analog Lab) - neither see their respective controller. The system uses Realtek default sounds and a small Dell soundbar (the programs didn't work even before I started using the Soundbar) and usually didn't work when I was using the Focusrite 2i2 that I have either. System sounds are off, by the way, although the hardware itself is active, and things like Firefox are not running. This is running just the Arturia software for each controller.

And that's the problem. for less than 1% of the time these devices actually work - I've even had them working together! I reboot the system or let it hibernate and the next time they try to connect, no joy. The setup is far too unreliable to be usable, I waste vast amounts of time just trying to get the controllers to talk to the software, and it shouldn't be this way.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:53:29 pm by Rfaith »

Rfaith

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 05:57:39 pm »
Minilab connection through one USB port creates a MINILAB entry in the USB devices and the Sound Conrtollers (show hidden devices in Device Manager, you'll see them). If you connect it later to another port, it creates a second MINILAB entry in both these places, but if you switch ports back, it doesn't always recognise that the Minilab was collected to it previously and creates a THIRD instance of the keyboard and so on until 9 entries (when I stopped). The SparkLE has been doing the same, so Windows is filling up with "hidden devices" that are all instances of Minilab and SparkLE connections that are no longer used.

While this could be argued to be a Windows problem, other devices don't do this and in the case of things like USB mide, the entry is deleted and recreated each time, keeping the device list tidy.

I suspect that Spark2 and Analog Lab are getting confused by all these devices (perhaps they don't check that the device is active/connected) and just try to use one that is not in use, which means constantly replugging USB cables and playing the lottery about connections.

If this is the case then Arturia software is all in need up an update to make sure that the controller is either not present at all, or is connected and active, and not assume that an old device entry in Sound or USB sections of the device manager interface is the one to use. That's my guess.

I have an RMA in with the vendor for my MiniLab, so it may not benefit me, but for the avoidance of doubt, I connect a great many USB devices to this laptop (Focusrite, Korg, TASCAM, as well as the usual computer-related things like USB HDDs, mice, etc, as well as hubs) and it is ony the Arturia ones that are leaving behind all these junk entries. I really think this is a clue as to why connections for me, and many other people to judge by the comments online, are so flaky.

I hope this helps.

Rfaith

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 08:36:03 pm »
One more thing to add. The list of events shown against MiniLab in Device Manager (Sound, Video and game controllers section) runs as follows (in order of occurence)...

Device Installed
Driver Service Added (usbaudio)
Device not migrated
Device install requested

The MiniLab's General Tab says that the device is working properly (I know it isn't, so far as Analog Lab is concerned it doesn't exist) but the "device install requested" is Windows' way of saying that the device "requires further installation" (no sh*t Sherlock).

This is on a 64-bit system and has been a problem under Windows 8, 8.1 and now 10 (which I migrated to in the hope it might actually fix the problems). It seems to me that the drivers for the two Arturia hybrid things I presently own will not function for Win 8/8.1/10 64-bit. If that's the case and Arturia don't address this, the market for their hybrid devices will begin to dry up. My Intel chipset drivers are up-to-date (just checked with the Intel driver update utility), so in terms of USB abilities, my system is as good as it gets, at least for the moment.

Still reckon Arturia should stop depending on built in drivers (a.k.a."shifting sands") and write their own...

Everything else I have that "plugs and plays" every time, has manufacturer-supplied drivers (just sayin').

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines