March 28, 2024, 10:50:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Ableton Live 9 + BeatStep Pro not syncing properly  (Read 18673 times)

playtolive

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Ableton Live 9 + BeatStep Pro not syncing properly
« on: August 29, 2015, 10:50:17 pm »
Hi Guys!,

Basically tried using BSP as slave via USB with Ableton as Master and the BPM meter fluctuates between 130 -132 when ableton BPM set to 131?  So im getting clock from Ableton and sending midi via midi out on BSP to my synths.  Doesnt work properly.  I recorded the output from the BSP into a midi in ableton and the notes start late like on the 2nd 16th note. 

So I made BSP the Master and Ableton as the slave and the BPM is more accurate and the timing when I record the midi is bang on!!! :)  This works but its kind of akward.  I dont want to run entire projects in Ableton using the BSP as the master.

The syncing is clearly off timing.  Im running MAC OSX, Ableton Live 9, Motu Microlite MIDI.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!  ??? ??? ???

playtolive

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Ableton Live 9 + BeatStep Pro not syncing properly
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 03:34:51 pm »
BUMP

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 05:51:41 pm »
Hi playtolive,
The problem you have is normal. First don't worry about displayed tempo if Live is Slave you'll see the same (even worst). We will make an article about that but to summarize it's due to clock interpolation. Every machine work the same but not all of them display tempo.
For the sync problem when BSP is slave, try changing the delay to send clock in Live pref (it depends but like -42ms).
Sorry for the delay it was the we :)

playtolive

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 05:21:25 pm »

Hi Velntin,

Thanks for the reply.  I will play with the delay tonight when I get home.  Another ISSUE i found is when im using the BSP as master and ableton as slave is when I press the stop button on the BSP and then press play it stop sending midi notes to my machines but the sequence is still running?  You hear the synth playing but only for a split second, if I hold the play button the synth makes sound then stop's?  I think this machine is greta but still very buggy.

playtolive

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 05:41:10 pm »
Anybody else experiencing these issues?

thx

dam

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 02:54:39 pm »
I have the same problem with ableton 8. If the ableton clock  is 120 bpm ,the bsp indicate 120...119...121.And I have problem with the sequenceur in midi...firmware 1.1.1.6

playtolive

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 08:11:28 pm »
I have the same problem with ableton 8. If the ableton clock  is 120 bpm ,the bsp indicate 120...119...121.And I have problem with the sequenceur in midi...firmware 1.1.1.6

Ok well good to know its not just me suffering.  Looks like Arturia has some serious problems to iron out!  I hope they get there act together and fix this now.  Its a shame becuase the very idea of the unit, its price and the features it has are amazing.  Arturia please fix these problems!!!

Zymos

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 12:38:46 am »
After many years of syncing up various hardware and software by MIDI, I've pretty much never NOT seen tempo readouts vary by plus or minus 1 bpm. It doesn't mean they aren't synced, it means the tempo being displayed is not always accurate. As Valentin mentioned above.

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 11:02:15 am »

Another ISSUE i found is when im using the BSP as master and ableton as slave is when I press the stop button on the BSP and then press play it stop sending midi notes to my machines but the sequence is still running?  You hear the synth playing but only for a split second, if I hold the play button the synth makes sound then stop's?  I think this machine is greta but still very buggy.

Your issue is strange I don't have it using the BSP as master and Live. It sends MIDI notes until you press stop on the BSP. When pressing play again it stop sending MIDI notes through MIDI DIN ? or also USB?

playtolive

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 04:33:32 pm »

Another ISSUE i found is when im using the BSP as master and ableton as slave is when I press the stop button on the BSP and then press play it stop sending midi notes to my machines but the sequence is still running?  You hear the synth playing but only for a split second, if I hold the play button the synth makes sound then stop's?  I think this machine is greta but still very buggy.

Your issue is strange I don't have it using the BSP as master and Live. It sends MIDI notes until you press stop on the BSP. When pressing play again it stop sending MIDI notes through MIDI DIN ? or also USB?

It specifically with the Evolver Desktop.  Example I have the BSP as master ableton as slave im running a rhythm track in ableton and the BSP is sending midi to my Evolver and when I press stop on the BSP and then press play on the BSP the Evolver stops playing audio????

playtolive

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 04:35:25 pm »
Hi playtolive,
The problem you have is normal. First don't worry about displayed tempo if Live is Slave you'll see the same (even worst). We will make an article about that but to summarize it's due to clock interpolation. Every machine work the same but not all of them display tempo.
For the sync problem when BSP is slave, try changing the delay to send clock in Live pref (it depends but like -42ms).
Sorry for the delay it was the we :)

Well it records late in the midi clip.  I have to play with the settings. But im pretty sure I tried this when you first suggested it and it did nothing for my problem....

mikepro

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 12:29:03 am »
Well it records late in the midi clip.  I have to play with the settings. But im pretty sure I tried this when you first suggested it and it did nothing for my problem....

I confirm that. Spent the whole day trying to figure out if MIDI Clock Delay can help - it didn't.

Arturia, please pay attention to this problem. It's very important, makes it useless for using BSP with Ableton.

rumschreubler

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 02:24:36 pm »
+1

PLease Arturia just give us a hint, whethter these issues will be solved.

I bought this device, so oi can sync and controll all my gear. You promissed me "Plays well with others (very, very well)". Well. It doesnt!!
If you cannot fix the syncing problems I will have to bring it back to the store and get my money back.

the device is of no musical use as it is right now.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 09:15:17 pm »

I confirm that. Spent the whole day trying to figure out if MIDI Clock Delay can help - it didn't.

Arturia, please pay attention to this problem. It's very important, makes it useless for using BSP with Ableton.

OK So away around this problem is not to start recording from the bsp from the start but to let ableton play a few bars before recording the part .
please see screen shots as mine always in time this way.
just set the midi sync delay to about -28ms  midi clock type to pattern.

Hope this helps
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

handsfree

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 04:28:29 pm »
After many years of syncing up various hardware and software by MIDI, I've pretty much never NOT seen tempo readouts vary by plus or minus 1 bpm. It doesn't mean they aren't synced, it means the tempo being displayed is not always accurate. As Valentin mentioned above.

I wish this guy would just leave. Noone cares that YOU don't have any issues mate. Everyone else is stupid but you, we get it.. Take a hike.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines