March 28, 2024, 07:28:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Origin & BeatStep Pro  (Read 5873 times)

Burnart

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Origin & BeatStep Pro
« on: August 25, 2015, 12:48:06 am »
I recently got a BeatStep Pro which I naturally wanted to hook up to my Origin desktop module but have found a couple of ways that the 2 items don't play well with each other.  Thought there might be some Origin users who are interested to know.

Firstly, there is a problem with the Origin's delay sync - it smears the delayed notes when the BSP first starts running. The delay seems to fumble its initial timing from the BSPs clock. This can be solved by turning off the Origin's delay sync and just adjusting the virtual knobs to the right position but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a delay sync I would have thought! Presumably this is also a problem with other gear that people connect to their Origin?

Secondly, the longer the BSP is running the more likely it is to pick up sustained notes which I found I could only clear by changing patches on the Origin. My experience is that this does not happen with the small amount of other gear I've tried it with, only some people in the BSP forum have reported it while using it with a Roland synth for example but probably isn't a universal problem. Sad that it should effect Arturia's own stuff though.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:16:21 am by Burnart »

Philippe

Re: Origin & BeatStep Pro
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 04:42:36 pm »
Could you post a small sound snapshot of the Delay smearing?

Concerning the BSP, could you describe what you're doing? I mean what are you outputting from your BSP (midi notes I presume) and on which MIDI channel(s)? Also what is the preset loaded on your Origin when you have these stuck notes?

[EDIT]: I talked with the support guys and it seems there is a bug in the BSP like the one you mention. This bug is currently being analysed (they have not been able to reproduce it in a predictable way it so far).

Thx
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:02:08 pm by Philippe »
Origin Lead  Developer

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 07:26:21 pm »
The "delay smearing" effect happens when running with internal clock/sequencers as well, I believe. I have several multis that have sequencers running with sync'd delay and it usually takes the delay a few beats to "catch up" with what the clock speed is after starting the multi and/or the sequence. Same when I change the internal sequencer / clock speed. I regard this as normal behavior for a sync'd delay.

Just a few days ago Arturia came out with a new firmware version for the BeatStep Pro, with a ton of bug fixes. So I would definitely upgrade to the new firmware and see if the other issue goes away.

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:41:11 pm »
the problem with the delay it's the time it takes to be really ON, i don't know if it's related to "smearing" ?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines