March 29, 2024, 03:11:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Individual settings for clock in/out rates  (Read 1950 times)

jimmy_p

Individual settings for clock in/out rates
« on: August 05, 2015, 09:36:36 pm »
From reading the manual it seems that the setting for the clock rate is applied to both the clock in and clock out, so its not currently possible to feed the Beatstep Pro a clock in of 1 pulse per step, and get 24ppqn from the clock out.

I haven't been able to get into the control centre settings for the Beatstep Pro as I'm in the dark ages of windows XP and Vista, so haven't been able to try this myself yet!

Would this be possible to implement in a future firmware update? I think having the option to change the in and out rates independently would make the device a lot more flexible. 24ppqn should already be getting sent as MIDI clock, so the multiplication is already being done if the clock rate is set to 1 pulse per step.

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
Re: Individual settings for clock in/out rates
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 08:57:08 am »
Hi Jimmy_p,
Actually it's not possible to have a different input and output clock. It might be a future feature but trying to have a good 24ppqn clock from a 1 step clock will result in a not really accurate clock due to interpolation.

jimmy_p

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 12:29:49 pm »
Thanks for the response. I agree it is a tidy solution to have the clock out mirror the clock in, especially considering that what is being sent to the clock in may not be a steady stream of gates.

Unfortunately I'm stuck in 24ppqn for in and out at the moment as my computers are old, so can't test it out fully. My thought was that you must be generating 24ppqn for the MIDI clock, even when being clocked externally with 1 step per clock. I understand what you're saying about the problem of interpolation, but isn't the device dealing with this already to generate MIDI clock, or does it not send MIDI clock when clocked externally?

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 02:18:57 pm »
Yes the device is still dealing with that as it sends MIDI clock generating from 1step clock... but that's not (and never be) a really accurate synch.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines