March 28, 2024, 03:18:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sysex filtering?  (Read 4806 times)

john

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Sysex filtering?
« on: August 04, 2015, 06:29:19 pm »
Sysex data doesn't seem to be traversing my Beatstep Pro's MIDI ports.

Configuration:
Windows 7 laptop ---USB---> BSP ---MIDI---> Microkorg
BSP updated to yesterday's firmware release.

What works:
- Note events, aftertouch from BSP to computer (running MIDI-OX) and Microkorg
- Note events from Microkorg to BSP (recording notes into sequence and transposing) and to computer (MIDI-OX monitor and simple MIDI synth)
- Note events from computer (MIDI-OX keyboard) to BSP and Microkorg
- MCC talks to BSP, successfully updates firmware, and syncs settings etc

What doesn't work:
- Microkorg Editor can see two output MIDI interfaces and two input MIDI interfaces but neither work--there is an error when starting the program.
- Sending sysex data from MIDI-OX to Microkorg
- Receiving sysex data from Microkorg with MIDI-OX (no activity seen in MIDI monitor)

I suspect BSP is filtering out sysex data, but I'm an analog synth guy so I don't have a ton of experience with this. :-)

john

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Sysex filtering?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 06:02:55 pm »
No one from Arturia can confirm or deny whether the BSP passes sysex?  ???

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 09:35:20 am »
Hi John,
the BSP does not transfer Sysex messages that are not assigned to him so yes it's filtering.

john

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 04:39:10 pm »
Hi John,
the BSP does not transfer Sysex messages that are not assigned to him so yes it's filtering.

Thanks for the response.

It would be really nice if the MIDI ports could act as full featured USB->MIDI adapters, hopefully this will be addressed in a future firmware release.

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 09:39:48 am »
We think about it but the BSP is not infinitely extensible. We will see what features are the most important.

john

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 10:03:32 pm »
We think about it but the BSP is not infinitely extensible. We will see what features are the most important.

Relaying sysex is approaching the realm of the infinite?

RichMakeGame

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 03:09:13 am »
maybe filtering sysex saves processing power for the bsp. There's only so much power in the hardware, so removing filtering would mean less available for other features, so they need to pick and choose what to change carefully. That's a total guess about why there is filtering, just making an example.

john

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 03:19:28 am »
maybe filtering sysex saves processing power for the bsp. There's only so much power in the hardware, so removing filtering would mean less available for other features, so they need to pick and choose what to change carefully. That's a total guess about why there is filtering, just making an example.

I'm a programmer and a hardware guy, thanks.  :)

The MIDI interface should not be billed as full featured if it doesn't transmit normal MIDI data.

RichMakeGame

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 12:32:47 pm »
I'm not arguing against your feature request just saying Valentin makes a valid point; no one feature request is in the realm of the infinite, but doing them all is. Regardless of processing capability Arturia surely has limited programmer time it will allot for updates.

grit

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 04:26:21 pm »
Not sure how this ended, is this solved yet? I have the Retrokits RK-002 cable to use the Beatstep Pro in making sequences for the Volca Sample but the configuration of the RK-002 goes via Sysex messages. (https://www.retrokits.com/settings/kvs ) It is such a shame that you have a midi interface on the PC to change settings (BSP), have a powerful midi sequencer (BSP) but can't use it as a full MIDI interface - now you need an extra MIDI interface to send sysex messages or figure out the RK-002 NRPN messages which are a lot less friendly because it's midi channel specific.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines