March 28, 2024, 08:56:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: The road to version 2.0...an invitation for all to discuss  (Read 35242 times)

omissis

The road to version 2.0...an invitation for all to discuss
« on: January 27, 2005, 12:40:56 pm »
Hallo all cs80v users.

As dedicate CS-80Vist my wish is to see this wonderful thing improved day by day to such a level of perfection that it would become definitely the ultimate soft-synthesizer for musical expressiveness and timbrical power.
That's why I would like to make this thread a confrontation yard and a place to share informations between CS-80V users and Arturia developement staff ,wishing  all the occasional  bugs would be fixed as well as any sound improvement made.

Actually, the most significant bugs I found are:

1. unpleasant sound artifact when using the ringmodulator at low modulation amount ( the harmonics change like some kind of "flanging" or sync or pulsewidth modulation )

2. the ringmod A-D levers don't work in real time

3. the ringmod modulating sine needs a subtle improvement ( on the CS-80 the sine looked like something between a regular sine and a triangular )

4. There are some annoying quantization stepping when moving especially the ring modulator levers

5. the ribbon controller has an "audible" pitch return when releasing the control , unlike the original where the pitch switched immediately to the starting point

The above bugs, although don't compromise the overall quality of this instrument , need some cure .

Now , here are a couple of wishes I hope there will be included on an hypothetical version 2.0:

First of all this thing needs free running oscillators as soon as possible!next....

1. A Microtuning page with 16 (sixteen) microtuning trimmers ,one for each virtual voice card . I think this would hit a fundamental center in this emulation : the original suffered from the problem that , even with the higher tuning accuracy , the voice cards weren't perfectly tuned almost ever, so each note sounded slightly different from the other and, by layering the synthesis lines there could have been  some differences ,e.g in  detuning, from one note to the other....
By summing up this feature with TAE could put the "V" shockingly close to the sound of the original!

2. An External Control Input to use as a Sub Oscillator Wavform (as on the original )

3. To have the RM as a Destination choice on the Matrix : yes I know it is mono and global for all the voices but I would be happy even with fixed assignation e.g. Velocity to RM-MOD or (Channel)Aftertouch to RM-MOD

4. Some subtle cosmetical fixings, for example to restore a correct "colour code" to the panel presets , e.g. :all the "FUNKY" presets on GREEN buttons and "GUITAR" presets in Yellow and substituing the "12" writing with a "P" for Panel settings.

5. Useful to add more keyboard and pckey shortcuts for example to recall a panel preset on the fly while playing rather than using mouse

6. A general re-design of the patch storage seems needed: the ability to save a patch per synthesis line rather than a general patch saving would be much more respectful of the original character

These are my wishes. Now I would be glad to have your opinion ;-) !

Cheers
Max
Max

a CS-80Vist

omissis

About the micro tuning table
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 09:12:43 am »
Hi
I think the trimmers should have a maximum range of a quarter tone,unless people doesn't want to play with a completely out-of-tune CS-80V synthesizer ;-) !!
Max

a CS-80Vist

Nimmy

CS80V
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 11:12:12 am »
On the original, the oscillators could be driven down into inaudibility using the ribbon. Adding this would bring the CS80V another step closer to the real CS80.

omissis

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 02:19:39 pm »
Hi
The Linear mode is already implemented in version 1.2By setting the pitch knob to zero you can have down pitching to 0 Hz. An useful little correction could be made in the GUI ,by the way, allowing the 0 Hz down by starting when you click the mouse in the right end of the virtual ribbon, and allowing the 1 Octave pitch up only by clicking on the left end.

What should be best would be to remove the audible pitch return which doesn't exist on the original.

I think that, with any pitch controller the 0Hz can be reached easily...
Max

a CS-80Vist

Man-Machine

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 11:37:48 pm »
I would like to first see improvements on things that make it more analogue like the mentioned free running oscillators. Also, there's no interpolation on parameters like filter cutoff. When I'm sending CCs with my controller, you get the dreadful zipper noise on some patches, very digital sounding.  Maybe I'm too spoiled with my Creamware vintage emulations :)
L8er Osci8ers

MarkGriffiths

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
CS80v 2
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 06:29:19 am »
Hi, something to stop the annoying changes to the patch selection in Cubase SX2, and anything to make the sound more faithful to the hardeware version. Mark

omissis

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 02:29:56 pm »
HI

I think that the suggestions put in my above first post can give the synth a definite analog character (especially combining Freerun VCOs with the 16 microtuning trimmers function ), and by removing the digital stepping and noises we can have a tweaked to perfection synth....I talked once I would even pay for such updates, and I still believe I would do...however if them should have been released freely I won't complain at all 8)  :wink:  !

BTW: an Open Standard Control support would give the CS-80V the opportunity to be played with 32-bit resolution ,and tweaking it with things like the upcoming Cycling'74's "Lemur" would give a shocking analogue feel....but I think this could only be a dream.... :(
Max

a CS-80Vist

f.massara

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 02:47:09 pm »
Unfortunately, I didn't get any chance to put my hands on a real cs-80, so I trust the requests that Max and the other guys are doing.

About the problem with patch changes, since it's not only cs-80 related, I hope Arturia will be able to fix it soon. I'm sure they're working on it, and at the moment (together with the digital zipping noise tweaking some parameters) it's the most annoying issue of an otherwise INCREDIBLY powerful products line :-)

omissis

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 03:31:27 pm »
You're right, this is the most inspiring synth that I've ever came across, and I don't matter at all it's heavy at CPU, it could be heavier the double to me , for such this quality sound....and  together with a good programming, it does also a very good TB-303 simulation :wink:  !!!
Max

a CS-80Vist

bg

• Beta-testers
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 03:07:47 pm »
Thanks for starting this thread, Max.

My suggestion is to add MIDI channel 1-16 to the CC Learn box.

There are over 100 controls on the CS-80v front panel, not counting the Modulation Matrix or Multi Mode pots, which are also controllable.  Also, when  a new Multi mode voice is made active, it requires new CC assignments.  This raises the potential number of CC assignments into the hundreds!

I use a UC-33e and Peavey PC-1600x for CC control, both of which can store multiple layouts using different MIDI channels.  Currently, using both boxes there aren't enough controls to cover the basic CS-80V panel.  Adding MIDI channel to the Learn function would solve this.

omissis

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 03:28:42 pm »
hm why not?

Anyway, the first thing remains, to me, the vco work and the big bug-artifacts fixing work plus some maquillage to the GUI...Actually the principal controls I like to have under my fingers are the Performance Controllers on all, and with a little patience I 'm gonna have a new ribbon controller with relative zero point which is about to be produced by an Italian manifacturer.
Max

a CS-80Vist

FabP

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 04:55:45 pm »
Hello,
we are glad to see all these requests,
and we hope to implement all of them in the next versions of the CS.
I'll talk with Xavier about these points.
We thought too to improve the display of the CS-80 to a selectable bigger version.
Fabrice PAUMIER
ARTURIA Marketing Manager

omissis

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 10:46:45 pm »
Thanks to you Fabrice, if you people at Arturia will take note of our suggestions! :wink:
Max

a CS-80Vist

marinedalek

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 12:17:52 pm »
I thought I'd make my first post on this forum one that I've thought about for a while.

There seems to be a bug with the ADSR implementation, particularly with notes played in fast succession. For example, if you select the Sinusoid preset from the templates section and play a single note repeatedly, the attack varies a significant amount. In the preset it is set to 0 ms (AFAIK) but it can sound anything up to 10 or 20 ms.

Also, when a longer attack has been selected (150+ ms) and you play reasonably quick notes sometimes the attack drops to 0 ms (no change in the slider setting).

Perhaps this could be fixed in the next release?

Also, just a small GUI issue, when you click the preset button the option directly under the mouse is "Delete". This isn't very handy because one accidental double click later and you can say goodbye to the preset bank you were working with. (This has happened to me quite a few times now!)

Thanks

omissis

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 05:59:49 pm »
I already have reported this bug but I'll post it there anyway...

When HPF and LPF are active , the synth won't produce sound when attack time on the Filter envelope is set under 1ms.

This happens in VST mode, @16 bit, 44.1kHz
Max

a CS-80Vist

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines