March 29, 2024, 09:29:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep Pro and compatibility with TR-8  (Read 7882 times)

zsquaredplusc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Beatstep Pro and compatibility with TR-8
« on: July 26, 2015, 11:47:04 am »
Everything seems to be working fine with the BSP and I am hugely pleased with it, with one exception, and this is probably down to the TR-8 but I can't verify. Both velocity lane and shift lane work as expected but for the life of me I cannot get the gate lane to affect the drums, has anyone else hooked this up to a TR-8 and if so are you experiencing the same of lack of gate control or is it working on yours? TIA

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: Beatstep Pro and compatibility with TR-8
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 04:28:39 pm »
Hi, I don't think gate is possible on the tr8  . i cannot gate on my tr8.

regards

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

zsquaredplusc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 07:27:14 pm »
Ah well, shame about that, I fancied some nice gated 808 kickdrums (must find another way) ... thanks terrym.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 09:34:54 pm »
you can automate the decay on the tr from your daw or use a gate plugin or assign controller 23 (bass drum tr8 decay)to a control pad

I setup 2 pads  with controller 23 one set at 20 and one at 127  while the tr8 was playing i could change the decay playing the 2 pads

hope this helps

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

zsquaredplusc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 10:08:46 pm »
While all this would apparently work I don't use a DAW just hardware, I'd also like to be able to automate the decay time in the same manner as the velocity lane, as far as manually adjusting the decay time I'd prefer to use the TR-8 controls as opposed to a pad. On a side note I was pleased to discover that you can still set an effects step lane in the tr8 whilst sequencing with the BSP, though this goes awry when you change the BSP pattern direction, velocity works well although you can't access the accent lane of the TR-8.
Are you aware of whether Arturia will implement independent pattern direction for the sequencers and/or pattern direction change at the end of pattern, proving difficult to keep things in sync as well as I don't always want the drums going backwards along with the melodies. TIA

CJMOR1804

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 01:00:25 am »
Are you aware of whether Arturia will implement independent pattern direction for the sequencers

it's already possible to change pattern direction separately. i.e. drums forward, sequencers backwards. that's what you meant right?

Steinberger

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 01:34:05 am »
I use a Volca Beats and same thing with the gate. The MIDI for the Velocity output of a pad in the BSP Drum Sequencer/Drum Map cannot be modified to another CC value like part volume level either so I can't just hit a kick on beat 1 and send a MIDI level 0 with the magic knobs to that part to silence it on beat 2 then return it to 120 or whatever on the next beat. This is odd because you can do this with CV/Gate on a modular drum machine by sending the Velocity (just another CV output) to a drum tracks level control. I think they should allow us to change MIDI assignment in Drum Map for each pad to either the CC value for Velocity or whatever CC value we want so we can cable it in a MIDI way just like it can be cabled in a CV way. In fact I think they have a lot of work to do with the drum sequencer. It's pretty fantastic if you have the drum machines they siloed it to but if you don't it's just a big tease. Could be the best drum machine made in a long long time. Missed it by thaaaat much!

zsquaredplusc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 09:50:00 am »
Yeah, I realised once I'd written that that it is capable of independent direction, forgot to edit it, I mean more to focus on pattern change/direction change at the end of the pattern rather than instantly (it was late, I was exhausted).

dananimal

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 08:11:23 am »
So far as  can tell everything works well between BSP and TR8. Inputting beats with the BSP pads is great.

By default they start and stop each other so I have a blank pattern on the TR8 which allows for synced beat effects on the TR8 to work with the sequences from the BSP (I did have a moment of 'why are there extra notes playing…' before making myself an empty TR8 pattern and tripped myself up knocking the TR8 into Instrument Record mode and having its' sequencer record the BSP's MIDI :). You could mix and match sequencing of the TR8 between BSP and TR8 to your heart's content. As I mentioned you can use the BSP as an input device for the TR8 sequencer whether playing just the pads or a sequence.

TR8 maps it's voices to midi notes in an odd way compared to BSP. Which I ignored and now am looking at how to transpose my existing drum patterns to a better BSP mapping for TR8.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 06:09:31 am »
you can automate the decay on the tr from your daw or use a gate plugin or assign controller 23 (bass drum tr8 decay)to a control pad

I setup 2 pads  with controller 23 one set at 20 and one at 127  while the tr8 was playing i could change the decay playing the 2 pads

hope this helps

Terrym

Nice fix.  I was thinking something the same, but assigning CC23 to a knob instead.  I think the button solution would be easier to use though.  Several steps could be set to different buttons for more levels of decay/gating.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines