March 28, 2024, 09:01:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sequencers triggering drum samples  (Read 5502 times)

granville

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Sequencers triggering drum samples
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:01:45 pm »
I'm having a weird problem, not sure if it's user error or a faulty unit, hopefully someone might be able to help.

My sequencer channels are both kicking out midi which causes unwanted triggering of drum samples. I want to use the sequencer channels via cv/gate/velo out jacks (IE no midi output) and use the drum sequencer via midi to trigger drums in my DAW.

Changing midi channels doesn't make any difference. The behaviour is the same in both DAWs I have tried. Is there some setting I have overlooked?

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
Re: Sequencers triggering drum samples
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 02:34:15 pm »
Hey !

It seems that in some cases , the Randomness and Probability were both defaulted to 50 in the factory. Thus unwanted trigs and random notes !

To change this, clear any running sequence, and set both Random & Probability to 0 using their knobs, then make sure to save this on every projects (hold the Project & Save button, and click on the first step to save it on Project 1, as well as all the other steps, so that this is saved on every projects)

granville

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:42:41 pm »
Hey !

It seems that in some cases , the Randomness and Probability were both defaulted to 50 in the factory. Thus unwanted trigs and random notes !

To change this, clear any running sequence, and set both Random & Probability to 0 using their knobs, then make sure to save this on every projects (hold the Project & Save button, and click on the first step to save it on Project 1, as well as all the other steps, so that this is saved on every projects)

Wrong thread?

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 03:22:48 pm »

Wrong thread?

Hmm from what I understood, you have unwanted notes that are triggered even if not written, so I assumed it was related. Correct me if I am wrong though ! :)

siseturist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 03:50:48 pm »
So you're telling that your DAW isn't able to receive different midi ch for different instruments? Perhaps your drum player in your DAW is set to receive all channels - which it isn't supposed to do.

granville

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 03:52:04 pm »
Hi

Sorry, I'm maybe not explaining myself very clearly. The notes are not random, I am basically receiving the midi notes from Seq 1 and Seq 2 in my drum instrument in Logic. It's as if the drum instrument is receiving midi on all channels even though it's not setup this way.

I've got things working as they should in Ableton now (drum rack was set to receive all midi channels) so I think there's something weird going on between BSP and Logic. Very likely it's just me being stupid!

Any ideas?

siseturist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 04:13:49 pm »
I use Logic Pro 9. The way I have set it up is that in environment (cmd+8) select Click and Ports and from there make sure that Sum is not sent to Input Notes. There make a new Monitor and from Physical Inputs drag line from Beatstep Pro to that new Monitor window you just made. And then create new transformers and with them you can have different options - I have it so that one only receives ch1, the other one ch2 but limits everything else. Then from those transformers click on the arrow on the right while holding down Alt button and then you can route the data directly to any instrument you have within Logic.

That's a screenshot from my setup. I have named things in Estonian, but I believe you get the point. If you don't know how to use environment, then you really should learn to. It's a really powerful tool.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5er8bwe4uzuku2/2015-07-23%2005.23.30%20pm.png?dl=0

And if you want to record some sequence, then you have to route your beatstep inputs to Input notes or directly to Sequencer Input

Make a template for yourself!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:19:08 pm by siseturist »

granville

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 04:41:46 pm »
I use Logic Pro 9. The way I have set it up is that in environment (cmd+8) select Click and Ports and from there make sure that Sum is not sent to Input Notes. There make a new Monitor and from Physical Inputs drag line from Beatstep Pro to that new Monitor window you just made. And then create new transformers and with them you can have different options - I have it so that one only receives ch1, the other one ch2 but limits everything else. Then from those transformers click on the arrow on the right while holding down Alt button and then you can route the data directly to any instrument you have within Logic.

That's a screenshot from my setup. I have named things in Estonian, but I believe you get the point. If you don't know how to use environment, then you really should learn to. It's a really powerful tool.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5er8bwe4uzuku2/2015-07-23%2005.23.30%20pm.png?dl=0

And if you want to record some sequence, then you have to route your beatstep inputs to Input notes or directly to Sequencer Input

Make a template for yourself!

Wow thank you! I have no idea about the Environment so this looks incredibly complicated to me. Why can't we just set the mini input channel in the inspector like in other DAWs?

Will see if I can get it working the same way as you have. Thanks.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 05:15:49 pm »
Hi granville did you check out the tutorial in the forum for setting up the bsp in logic.

I too use the environment to connect the bsp still think ing of making a video as my way works quite well

regards

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

granville

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 05:45:40 pm »
Hi granville did you check out the tutorial in the forum for setting up the bsp in logic.

I too use the environment to connect the bsp still think ing of making a video as my way works quite well

regards

Terrym

Please do a video on setting up the BSP in Logic environment, I'm totally lost!

Jezza

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 07:23:59 pm »
Did you check the Auto-Demix is enabled, I had the same issues as you and a soon as this setting is enabled all worked correctly.
File > Project Settings > Recording

granville

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 08:02:44 pm »
Did you check the Auto-Demix is enabled, I had the same issues as you and a soon as this setting is enabled all worked correctly.
File > Project Settings > Recording

That doesn't make any difference here unfortunately.

granville

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 08:17:27 pm »
OK so mucking around in the environment I've found something that works like I wanted it to which is to 'filter matching events' unequal to the drum midi channel. Any reason why that is a bad way of doing it?  ???

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 08:49:06 pm »
Hi I'm uploading to the tube a video soon will post here

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 09:58:25 pm »
And here it is for logic x

https://youtu.be/I12WB1jWB6c

enjoy

TerryM

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines