March 29, 2024, 01:57:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Getting double notes from pads on Nord Drum 2  (Read 12555 times)

Digitali

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Getting double notes from pads on Nord Drum 2
« on: July 19, 2015, 10:28:31 pm »
So using the drum gate cv connections, I was getting double notes on both pads and stepped sequences. I was able to solve the issue on the steps by reducing the gate down below 15 on the sequenced drum track for each drum part.

But I don't see any option to reduce gate for pad hits. If I press the pad I get a sound on the down press and again on the release and sometimes multiple on the down press as it picks up velocity info? If I press and hold the pad it doesn't stay lit as with the seq1/2 parts which work fine over midi, but rather I get a strobe effect. You can see the issue in the first part of the vide below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqNo9Q6W_ws

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: Getting double notes from pads on Nord Drum 2
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:38:14 pm »
HI, do you have latestest firmware . if so have you tried clearing all patterns before using as there could be  corrupted patterns. also have you tried lowering the gate in the drum s section .
Looking at the video it seems the gate is triggering on and off pulses so you'r getting double hits .This maybe due to too high voltage for the gate out into your equipment. and you adjust this in your equipment.

regards

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

Digitali

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 10:43:59 pm »
I did up to the latest firmware.

As I mentioned, I was originally getting the double hits on both stepped drum tracks and keypad hits as you see in the video. I did figure out that bringing the gate down to under 15 using the knobs helped the sequenced track. Meaning when you hit play and have notes in. But when you are using pad mode only, ie not pressed play, I still get the double hits, and I see nowhere to change the gate for this kind of playing? I did see a post about taking the thing apart and changing the defulat cvs? I am not going to do that.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 10:57:17 pm »
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

bemushroomed

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 12:28:44 am »
Did you try changing the input threshold and input sensitivity on the ND2?

I also have the ND2 and i will get the BSP this week sometime.. Hopefully this can be solved. I did have problem with double triggers on the ND2 (from one of my modules), i could never solve it, had to make another module send the triggers.

Digitali

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 01:25:40 am »
Hi just found out it may be the nord

have a search on the net
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91580&start=10&sid=d6fc74841fab6f4eda4be414ab565e25

Thanks for the link. Link says to try changing to evenvelope sends. I am going to make sure my ND2 has the latest firmware first and see if that fixes anything. Then I will try sending evenlopes instead. That would be an annoying solution but may be better than having to change the gate from 50 to 5 for every knob.

Digitali

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 07:40:05 am »
Did you try changing the input threshold and input sensitivity on the ND2?

I also have the ND2 and i will get the BSP this week sometime.. Hopefully this can be solved. I did have problem with double triggers on the ND2 (from one of my modules), i could never solve it, had to make another module send the triggers.

So I updated the the ND2 to OS 3.0 and still in the same boat. I tried every combination of threshold and input sensitivity. I tried all the trigger types. Nothing is getting the double trigger to drop to single.

Here is what makes things odd. The BSP is triggering my other synths just fine. So this leads me to the ND2 being the problem. But triggering the ND2 from Cubase via an original Beatstep as the interface, everything is fine.

I think the problem has to do with how the ND2 handles pad technology because the pads on my ALesis midi controller do not trigger sounds properly either. They trigger very soft even if i tap hard. I have a theory that the solution would be to change the trigger type to the Nord Pad hand option. But that is not available without the Nord pad itself.

I havent tried the solution posted in the other forum to change the sends to envelope sends because I cant figure out how to do that in the midi control center. If anyone would tell me how to do that I will test it out.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 07:44:40 am by Digitali »

bemushroomed

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 12:33:12 pm »
well i just go my BSP and the ND2 does not double trigger unless i hit the sides of the pads (and only if i'm a bit too slow, the sides are more sensitive it seems). If i hit the pads in the middle there's never any doubling (unless very slow to remove my finger).

I can reproduce what you are doing in the video though - holding down a pad, and then letting go, that will double trigger (since it's gate outs and not single triggers perhaps, i mean a gate would stay open until you remove your finger, unlike a trigger). Imo it's not a problem since that's not really how you would use it anyways to record drums, at least i don't see why you would record drums in that way. If i hit the pads fast (drumming on them) then no problem, with my ND2 at least.

These are my first ~10 mins impressions. I'll update if i notice any odd behavior other than double triggers when hitting the sides and if holding down the pads for a moment.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:46:00 pm by bemushroomed »

Digitali

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 04:26:43 am »
well i just go my BSP and the ND2 does not double trigger unless i hit the sides of the pads (and only if i'm a bit too slow, the sides are more sensitive it seems). If i hit the pads in the middle there's never any doubling (unless very slow to remove my finger).

I can reproduce what you are doing in the video though - holding down a pad, and then letting go, that will double trigger (since it's gate outs and not single triggers perhaps, i mean a gate would stay open until you remove your finger, unlike a trigger). Imo it's not a problem since that's not really how you would use it anyways to record drums, at least i don't see why you would record drums in that way. If i hit the pads fast (drumming on them) then no problem, with my ND2 at least.

These are my first ~10 mins impressions. I'll update if i notice any odd behavior other than double triggers when hitting the sides and if holding down the pads for a moment.

How about when step sequenced? Are you getting double hits at setting 50? I have to bring down every knob to under 20 which is an annoyance.

If I hit the pads very fast then no problem as you pointed out. But that leaves little room for error.

bemushroomed

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 04:38:25 am »
Nope, didn't touch the gate setting. Sequencing works great with no double triggers.

bemushroomed

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 01:55:49 pm »
I came across a patch that would basically always double trigger, really annoying. It was easily fixed though, when i changed trigger type to "t.Ac3" it went away, so try that.. just remember to save afterwards.

Most of my own patches has that setting so i guess that would be the reason why my ND2 seems less sensitive to double triggering..

olaims

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 09:23:50 am »
New owner of the Nord Drum 2 getting double notes. Here is my "status"

• Without changing anything I was getting double notes
  • I changed the trigger modus to t.Ac3 and the double notes "on play" were gone, but I´m still getting two notes when I press a PAD, one on press and one on release
  • If I change all the gates on the BSP to 10 or less I get this "double" press/release note not so often, but it still happens....

Another question, I´am triggering it with six cables from 6,5 Mono to 3,5 Stereo. Maybe the Stereo on the 3,5 could generate problems on the triggering?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:35:38 pm by olaims »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 06:37:20 am »
I'm using 1/8" trs to 1/4" tr with no issues on any gear I trig with them, but I don't have a Nord Drum 2 (was condering getting one though, so this is of interest to me).
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 09:22:17 am »
Hey guys!

We had other customers with the same issue and apparently the Nord drum is designed to receive "trigger" signals (very short pulse) and not gate like sent by the BSP.

So it is normal that they may not be fully compatible; however I did not know about the t.Ac3 option so thank you very much, will keep it in mind for other people coming at us with Nord drum 2. :)

olaims

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 10:20:10 am »
The only solution which I found is to go MIDI.... but it loses some of the CV dynamics and speed  :-\

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines