March 29, 2024, 02:01:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: pro won't record legato properly! help!  (Read 7459 times)

drfireball

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
pro won't record legato properly! help!
« on: July 19, 2015, 03:41:59 pm »
I have no problems recording in the step mode but I cannot record from the pads - it's almost as if it is applying quantising while recording. I have updated to the latest firmware and it makes no difference whether I record via USB or midi. Basically if I play the pads like a keyboard the results are never what I played in the first case.
Anyone else having issues like this?
I have scoured the midi control centre for a setting I may have inadvertently enabled and use ableton (although I have used it in standalone mode and the same issue remains)

Hope someone out there can help me

Thanks

S

CJMOR1804

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: pro won't record legato properly! help!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 05:03:50 am »
It won't record pad playing in realtime. It only does step recording, which is why it quantizes. I believe they talked about this in their tutorial videos. The first link @ about 0:12:00 they mention how slide (legato) works.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/O_3pnbTq26o
https://www.youtube.com/embed/gv4iqlOknyc

drfireball

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:00:55 pm »
Thanks for your reply - what I am struggling with is the real time recording as per 7.45 on the melodic sequencing video. I realise I probably didn't explain what I meant very well. Instead of getting mimims or semibreves I get dropped notes all over the place. I guess this might be a consequence of sloppy playing as it does have 16th note quantise record on all the time.

RichMakeGame

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 06:21:57 pm »
I noticed the pads have weird behaviour playing legato. Normally on a synth if you press a second note while one is held, then you let go of the first but keep the second pressed, the new note will continue to sound.

However on the bsp, the note will only sound as long as the first pad is pressed. So when you release the first pad expecting the second one to sustain the sound it cuts out.

Steinberger

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 09:30:35 am »
I noticed the pads have weird behaviour playing legato. Normally on a synth if you press a second note while one is held, then you let go of the first but keep the second pressed, the new note will continue to sound.

However on the bsp, the note will only sound as long as the first pad is pressed. So when you release the first pad expecting the second one to sustain the sound it cuts out.

I'm having this SAME issue but only when using SEQ2 with CV/Gate. MIDI does not produce the same result. In fact MIDI console output indicates the exact output as SEQ1. But with CV/Gate I play and hold down 2 or more notes then lift off one pad it will turn off all notes. Did A/B testing between two synths between on both sequencers and it's only SEQ2. It's got to be a firmware glitch.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:33:54 am by Steinberger »

drxcm

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 10:54:52 am »

I'm having this SAME issue but only when using SEQ2 with CV/Gate. MIDI does not produce the same result. In fact MIDI console output indicates the exact output as SEQ1. But with CV/Gate I play and hold down 2 or more notes then lift off one pad it will turn off all notes. Did A/B testing between two synths between on both sequencers and it's only SEQ2. It's got to be a firmware glitch.

Good find.

I can confirm SEQ1 legato records properly, and SEQ2 doesn't.
Exactly as you describe.

Hopefully this is a simple bug fix....

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:01:30 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for reporting this. We're working on it and it will be fixed in a future firmware update. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Best

Zymos

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 05:40:41 pm »
I know it been mentioned before here, but a sticky of known bugs and documented features that are still unimplemented, would save time and hassle for both users and support team.

drxcm

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 12:37:55 am »
Hi,
Thanks for reporting this. We're working on it and it will be fixed in a future firmware update. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Best

Great!
S

Steinberger

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 08:10:10 am »
@Valentin

So a fix for this was not made in 1.1.1.6. Understood bug fixes have to be prioritized. Any ideas where this is on the to-do list in a date format? It's kind of a PITA.

Thanks

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 10:50:00 am »
Hi,
legato is now working with pads but there are optimised for sequencing, drums playing and so the easiest way to record legato melodies properly is to plug an external midi keyboard. Moreover the BSP sequences your melodies and if you change notes just after a step you'll have some sound cuts due to sequencing.

RichMakeGame

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 03:33:33 pm »
legato is still not working on sequencer 2 with the update. Since sequencer 1 works perfectly it's hard not to conclude it's a bug

here are steps to reproduce:
on seq 1, control minibrute via cv (for example). use sustain only in adsr. press a pad to initiate a note, while still pressed, press a new note. Release only the first pad. Notice the new note continues to play

now, using seq 2: follow the same procedure, and notice that upon releasing the first pad, the note cuts out.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 03:36:56 pm by RichMakeGame »

Steinberger

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 03:41:05 pm »
@Valentin

You've already acknowledged an issue that was being worked on. As @RichMakeGame indicated, still not fixed. Seq1 works, seq2 doesn't. if this is by design why do the two sequencers behave differently? Sorry it's still an outstanding bug.

This is not only a note stopper. It's a show stopper.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 03:48:04 pm by Steinberger »

Steinberger

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 05:48:06 pm »
@Valentin

Do you guys think you might have fixed it because you tested with MIDI? Did you test using the CV/Gate outs on a module that's at least duophonic or paraphonic capable? This is where you see the issue.

Lay down three notes on the pads using SEQ2 and listen as each new note cuts off the previous one. Now switch to SEQ1 and do the same thing and it works fine. You don't even have to be running the sequencer.

SEQ1 works nicely. SEQ2 is terrible. This really needs to be fixed.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 05:53:42 pm by Steinberger »

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 09:16:58 am »
Hi Steinberger,
You're right, I didn't have the good firmware. This issue was fixed but not implemented in the last firmware it will be in the next one (I can't promise but it should be around august 15th).
Sorry for the inconvenience

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines