April 20, 2024, 03:09:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep Pro and ipad mini not working!  (Read 4383 times)

A.S.

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Beatstep Pro and ipad mini not working!
« on: July 16, 2015, 08:34:01 pm »
Hi,

got my BSP today and the only reason i bought it was to sequence my ipad synths with it. if i plug it in the ipad i get the message that it needs more power and can not be used. I tried to use the y cable to power it (cause its made for this purpose) but it does not work. Tried to connect it with my itrack dock but nothing works. This is really poor i have to say. Cause on the product page its written it will work. Sorry but this is total ....

Please at least the arturia people can respond if something is broken or not.....

Thx. A.S.

Zymos

Re: Beatstep Pro and ipad mini not working!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 09:37:56 pm »
I have no idea what I'm supposed to even do that y cable, the only thing I have that uses those mini USB connectors is the BSP itself.

But anyway, a powered hub will work with BSP and iPad.

A.S.

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 10:41:03 pm »
Ok.
just ordered a hub.

hope it works.

Thanx.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 11:01:08 pm »
Hi all , the Y adaptor was meant for ground loops  and may not work on an iPad .  i don't have the correct adaptor here to test but i know other ppl have got it working .
have you tried powering from the iPad only

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

A.S.

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 11:09:46 pm »
yeah.  i tried to put the bsp directly into the ipad with the original apple usb to lightning adaptor. then u get the error message i mentioned above.

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 03:41:17 pm »
Hi :)

The only solution that works for me in these situations (USB controller too power hungry for the iPad) is to use a powered USB hub, like it was already mentioned.

The Y-Cable included with the BSP seems to only work as a solution for the ground-loop issues some might have with it driving CV devices while connected to a computer through USB.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 03:48:24 pm by Koshdukai »

StutzJr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 10:41:31 am »
As per my other post here, I also have had no luck connecting to my iPad 2 using either the y-splitter or via an external powered USB hub (or both).
I did come up with a working solution which I've detailed in the other thread (i.e. cheap USB to midi cable on the ipad camera adapter)

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 05:05:27 pm »
I just checked again with a 7-port USB 2.0 Sitecom hub powered by a 5V/2A AC Adaptor connected to an iPad 2 through the Camera Connection Kit.

It's able to power the BeatStep Pro and an Arturia KeyLab 88, btw :) ...so both the BSP+KL88 are controlling the iPad with no issues.

william.duignan

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 12:31:10 am »
Hey BSP Fans,

I found this thread really helpful, but I'd like to amend it a little, to reflect my needs and outcome.
You don't need to buy a powered hub. Any cheap, self-powered hub will work.

I wanted to use my iPad with iMPC Pro, to use the DRUM sequence as a sampler. But I got the same message after using the y-cable. I live in New Zealand, and, personally, I don't have the $50 NZD I'd need to buy an entry level powered USB hub. (I just spent $480 NZD on a BSP!!) I needed to find a cheap solution.

Through my research, I found a video on YouTube that said you didn't need a powered HUB at all to bypass the iPad's error message. Just a self-powered hub. Coupled with the y-cable, everything would still get power, and Arturia's reputation would stay in check.

So, I found this locally: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=HUBUNI0032&name=UNITEK-Y-2028-USB-2.0-4-Port-Hub-Bus-powered-480Mb
Something similar in the US could fetch around $5 USD.
And it WORKED! I was able to bypass the error message. I use SEQ 1 for a Moog Minitaur, SEQ 2 for Moog Animoog, and DRUM on iMPC Pro. I had some issues with one MIDI channel interrupting another, but zero latency. And some cool glitchiness with the BSP's looper.

This technique would work with any hardware that has an external power supply, although I'm not sure how many devices you can use at the same time.

Hope this helps future iPad problem solvers! :P

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines