March 28, 2024, 12:34:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep Pro and iPad Powering Issue  (Read 12063 times)

Ringleader

Beatstep Pro and iPad Powering Issue
« on: July 15, 2015, 08:58:18 pm »
Hi all. Just got my new shiny BSP today to use with my iPad but I am running into some powering issues.

I have applied power to the BSP through the included splitter cable with a 5v@2.1A power supply and it powered up fine. But when I connect the PC side of the splitter cable to the iPad with a USB to lightning adapter, I still get an error message that the BSP requires too much power.

I am using an iPad Air 2 on iOS 8.4 and I just updated the fw on the BSP to the latest (1.1.0.3 IIRC). Does anyone know what might be the issue as to why this isn't working? The included manual states that the splitter cable should be used for tablets so I am stumped. Thanks in advance!

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: Beatstep Pro and iPad Powering Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:41:39 pm »
HI , i have not tried this setup . i thought the y adaptor was for ground loops . what page of the manual states using this . have you tried to power from the iPad .

regards

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

Ringleader

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:53:45 pm »
HI , i have not tried this setup . i thought the y adaptor was for ground loops . what page of the manual states using this . have you tried to power from the iPad .

regards

terrym

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have tried powering from the iPad but get the same message. At the bottom of one of the quick start guide pages describing the anti ground loop adapter there is a statement about using it with tablets if the tablet cannot provide enough power.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:24:43 am by Ringleader »

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 03:41:53 pm »
Hi :)

The only solution that works for me in these situations (USB controller too power hungry for the iPad) is to use a powered USB hub.

The Y-Cable included with the BSP seems to only work as a solution for the ground-loop issues some might have with it driving CV devices while connected to a computer through USB.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 03:48:04 pm by Koshdukai »

StutzJr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 02:53:19 am »
I'm only a beginner here but I just picked up a shiny new beatstep pro myself last night.
I also had problems getting it working with my iPad but I have found at least 1 working solution, and have a few more ideas I haven't tried yet (eg. iRIG MIDI).

I was NOT able to get my iPad 2 (iOS v. 8.3) with a camera adapter to talk to the BeatStep Pro ("bsp" fw v. 1.1.0.3) using a powered USB hub: "Accessory Unavailable: The attached accessory uses too much power"...

However, I WAS able to get it to work by powering the bsp with an external battery pack attached to the bsp USB port and a USB MIDI interface cable attached to the midi out port of the bsp.  The only problem with this setup is it leaves the iPad running on internal battery.  I have to do some more research into iPad camera connector tricks to find out if there is a workaround for this.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 02:56:31 am by StutzJr »

StutzJr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 01:58:31 pm »
Another problem with using the BSP MIDI-out to the iPad is that it ties up the MIDI out so it cannot be used with other devices without a splitter.  Seems a shame when the USB midi is right there, but is probably an apple issue that cannot be resolved within the device itself.

Supercalafragalistic EDIT: I can confirm iPad will talk to the BeatStep Pro using USB via the Y-splitter and an UNPOWERED USB hub, thus freeing up the MIDI port to talk to Volca et al.

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 05:27:56 pm »
Wow, cool that it works for you but it's rather strange.

I just tried it now, with an unpowered hub between the camera kit and the "PC" port of the Y-cable while its "PWR" port is connected to the iPad charging brick.
The BSP powers up fine but the iPad still complains about that unpowered hub, like it does whithout it.

Like I said, in my case, simply using a powered hub works fine :)

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 05:54:58 pm »
To use BeatStep Pro with an Ipad (Y cable version)
1/ plug the BeatStep Pro using the Y cable.
1.a / Make sure the Ipad is sending DATA to the BeatStep Pro
1.b / Make sure the other part of the cable is well connected to a computer or a powered device.
2/ Power off the BeatSTep Pro
3/ Press Shift + Stop Button, then power up
4/ BeatStep Pro should be detected by the IPAD

To use BeatStep Pro with an Ipad (Powered Hub version)
1/ Plug the BeatStep Pro to your powered hub
1.a / Plug the ipad to your powered hub
DGDGDGDGDG

KeithT

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 04:35:50 pm »
Just got my BSP! Awesome..

Slowly figuring it out but found this really useful and successful :

3/ Press Shift + Stop Button, then power up
4/ BeatStep Pro should be detected by the IPAD