March 28, 2024, 10:44:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Origin discontinued  (Read 8101 times)

nickg117

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Origin discontinued
« on: June 23, 2015, 04:57:22 am »
No longer available from arturia store, sweetwater, musicians friend.  Looks like the Origin is officially dead.

Syndromeda

Re: Origin discontinued
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 10:41:39 am »
A real shame!!!
Life is music and music is life.

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 08:18:11 pm »
From the positive side, we are the lucky ones to have it! In my opinion it's kind of a classic already.

As said thousand times, let's hope that our instruments keep in condition. If it has been very difficult and frustrating to get help from Arturia service and I'm afraid things won't get better now when it's discontinued...

ASch

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 07:53:21 pm »
Now I really wish I'd bought a second hand Nord G2X instead... as you say, let's hope it just keeps working  :-[

pstnotpd

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 06:53:35 pm »
Well I'm going to take the plunge and try to revive a desktop with some unresponsive sequencer encoders which I can pick up for a good price. I want to hear those sounds for myself...

First I'll try some deoxit which worked well on the wonky encoders of the poly evolver. If that fails I'm going to try to replace them with the bourns parts.

Question to those who've tried replacing them: Anything I'll have to watch out for?

As I understand it these three encoder types could be used for replacements. Correct?

PEC16-4220F-S0024
PEC16-4220F-N0024
PEC16-4020F-N0024

I saw the schematics mentioned a custom shaft lenght for the soundwell parts. Will that be a problem? I.e. is the shaft lenght of the bourns parts correct? (20mm I believe from the part number)

goldenanalog

• Beta-testers
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 04:18:05 am »
NovaMusik apparently has (1) left:

http://www.novamusik.com/arturia-origin-keyboard-virtual-analog-synthesizer-studio-kit.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=art-originkeybordstk&gclid=CjwKEAjw8e2sBRCYte6U3suRjFESJAB4gn_gwzSmCrYZLXxcb0SfNDyLaLVRgz4_6qxOf2bfPlow_xoChZzw_wcB

To the risk taker: This might be the time to negotiate/buy one if interested - we have access to Origin's service manual material (Bless Arturia's heart) so there is a reasonable chance that we can collectively keep them running, at least for a while -

I personally think that the Origin keyboard is one of the most impressive-looking keyboards of all time - it looks like an art object to me -

pstnotpd

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 07:28:56 pm »
Well, it's in and apart from the 2 unresponsive sequencer knobs it looks ok. I've tried some deoxit but apart from sometimes appearing to spring to live the knobs don't budge. Looks like I'll have to try to replace them.

There is no way other way to edit sequencer steps is there?

Perhaps I'll just leave it and connect up a beatstep pro....

I've seen in the maintenance docs that opening the origin up requires a torx key. Is that the "special tool" Philippe mentioned? As far as I know I can get those in the hardware store. And the bourns parts are available from digikey.

B.t.w. sounds awsome as expected!

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 08:53:56 pm »
^ The internal sequencer is pretty special, being analogue-style with freely assignable CVs and so on - IMO, it would be worth getting those encoders for it going...

As for the discontinuation, that's a pity, but the day had to come. I suppose the chances of seeing one last firmware update  is rather slim now.

pstnotpd

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 07:49:23 pm »
Happy to report my deoxit treatment brought the 2 unresponsive knobs back to life. I've got a fully functional Origin now and it sounds great. The sequencer is indeed very good when it's fully functional.

I really hope it keeps on going but if the encoders finally give up I'm going to try the repair. Any help would be appreciated.

emilshere

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 06:45:20 pm »
I'm sure they are going to support the origin for repairs....Every company I have ever heard of continues to support repairs on discontinued items. I think it may even be illegal not to, or at least it would be a very bad move for their customer relations.

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 06:59:27 pm »

It would be a shame to completely bypass the Origin's sequencers and just use a BS Pro...as awesome as it is, it is no match for the Origin's!

Philippe

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 02:00:58 pm »
I'm sure they are going to support the origin for repairs....Every company I have ever heard of continues to support repairs on discontinued items. I think it may even be illegal not to, or at least it would be a very bad move for their customer relations.

Yes, we will support origin repairs. And yes, it would be illegal not to do so at least for a certain number of years after having officially declared the product as discontinued. As far as I know, Origin has *not* been officially discontinued so far.
Origin Lead  Developer

Philippe

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 02:16:08 pm »

It would be a shame to completely bypass the Origin's sequencers and just use a BS Pro...as awesome as it is, it is no match for the Origin's!

Yes, BeatStep Pro would not replace the Origin sequencer. In order to take advantage of a BS Pro we would have to provide analog CVs inputs on the Origin which is not doable without a lot of hardware addditions.

Phil
Origin Lead  Developer

Vampyre

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 09:09:02 pm »
Wish all the features that were promised were released, but I am happy to have the Origin.  I am sure used prices will rise!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines