April 20, 2024, 01:45:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Clock only analog (DIN) MIDI - can it be done?  (Read 2801 times)

Shardik

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Clock only analog (DIN) MIDI - can it be done?
« on: June 04, 2015, 10:30:26 pm »
I have a drum machine (a BeatBuddy) with analog (DIN plug) MIDI out.  I wish to clock sync the sequencer from this, but not the notes played.  Is this possible?

Shardik

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Clock only analog (DIN) MIDI - can it be done?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 12:06:07 pm »
I realise I may have been unable to describe the problem properly.  It seems the BeatBuddy sends clock signals AND playable notes on MIDI. I want to use it as a master clock. Using HOLD on the sequencer, I want to be able to have a continuous sequence playing synchronised with the beat. I want to use the keyboard to transpose the sequence on chord shifts. The latter is unfortunately impossible as long as the Microbrute trigger keyboard notes on the MIDI port.

Is there a way to make microbrute use the MIDI port for clock sync only?

Bacon

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:49:53 am »
Set the BeatBuddy so send MIDI notes on a different MIDI channel than the Microbrute receives on. As MIDI clock isn't restricted to any MIDI channel, the Microbrute receives any MIDI clock that is sent over the MIDI cable, no matter what channel the synth is set to receive on.

Shardik

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 04:17:45 pm »
Set the BeatBuddy so send MIDI notes on a different MIDI channel than the Microbrute receives on. As MIDI clock isn't restricted to any MIDI channel, the Microbrute receives any MIDI clock that is sent over the MIDI cable, no matter what channel the synth is set to receive on.
Thanks.  I will try that.  I believe the Beatbuddy is locked to channel 1, so I'll try to configure this in the MicroBrute. 

I was not aware that the MIDI clock signals aren't restricted to a channel. 

I  did, however try some different settings on the MIDI in channel selection, apparently without success, but I may not have tested it systematic enough.

Shardik

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 12:15:10 am »
Thanks again!  Got around to trying it (changed the receiving channel to #2).  That fixed the problem! :-)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines