March 28, 2024, 08:49:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Minibrute SE - Can't Connect to Editor Software  (Read 3992 times)

reevus

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Minibrute SE - Can't Connect to Editor Software
« on: May 17, 2015, 01:46:00 pm »
I have looked at the other threads here on the Forum related to connection and/or firmware update problems with the Minibrute, but thought I might start a fresh one here.

I just bought a new MB SE and have downloaded the latest Firmware update from the Arturia website.  I am running Windows 7, 64 bit.  Anyway, when the USB cable is plugged into the MB and the laptop - the Editor software doesn't see the MB.

I have tried all of the suggestions I see here in various threads (holding down the octave buttons, ignoring the "can't connect.." message and updating, etc.) but nothing works.  Even forgetting about trying to update the firmware - I can't use the Editor software at all and I would like to (I can't really be sure what firmware version I have since I can't connect).

Also - in one thread there is a comment that one person's MB needed to go back to the factory for a "firmware reset".  Hopefully that isn't the case here.  But other than what has been written - anybody have any suggestions based on the latest issues that have been determined with this process?

I know from other gear that sometimes the hardware/software interface isn't always smooth, but this seems a bit weird to not have any connectivity at all (again, here not talking about trying to update anything - just using the Editor connected).

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

LordVampyre

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Minibrute SE - Can't Connect to Editor Software
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 11:04:40 pm »
have you tried changing out cables? Ive had that problem in the past.

reevus

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 02:30:40 am »
Yes - I have a couple of USB cables, one being new and one that has worked with something else.  Neither worked.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 07:53:14 pm »
Do you have any midi cables plugged in?

Remove all midi cables, attach a known good USB and you should be good to go. When midi cables are connected, Mini Brute doesn't connect to the brute connection app.

Hope that helps

Thanks, Stuart 
Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

reevus

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 09:49:59 pm »
Stuart - thanks much for that thought, but I haven't had any midi cables attached while trying to connect.

Again, it seems sort of weird to me that - assuming my MB SE has whatever the initial Firmware was (1.0.1?) - that it wouldn't be able to work at all just from a connection viewpoint to 1.0.3 (forgetting about updating). 

Anyway, I"m not there yte and it's fairly frustrating that it isn't sort of a no-brainer thing to do.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 10:24:15 pm »
Hi,

I do remember having similar issues and thought that this carried on but i found that removing midi cables solved my later issue. I do seem to remember holding down both octave buttons but I can't recall exactly. Have you the latest software

Cheers, Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

reevus

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 10:50:06 pm »
Stuart - thanks for the idea, but there weren't any midi connections at the same time, so it's something else.

reevus

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 07:34:53 pm »
Kind of stunned - but believe I figured out the problem, and the update worked smoothly.  I went to try one last time, and after staring for awhile at the zipped files that were downloaded for the update from Arturia - it dawned on me that it appeared that the actual file for the update (one of three in the download) was in the folder with program other than the Editor program set up to open it.  I think this was the case due to the file extension.  As well, after extracting the files from the zipped status that one file remained setup with another program on my computer associated with it (to open it).  This became somewhat apparent when I tried to open it directly and the other non-Arturia program attempted to open it.

As such, when the Editor program tried to open it for the update, it didn't see it.  At least this is what I think was happening (I'm not a technician).  So what ended up fixing this was that once I had extracted the three files from the original downloaded zip file - I highlighted the extracted update file and "opened it" with the main Editor program.  This then opened the file properly, now I was connected to the MB, and in executing the update it took hardly any time at all - and all functions from the Editor software worked thereafter.

So basically, it appears the problem was how the update file was downloading from Arturia - not that the file was bad, but because Windows was associating it with another program on my computer. 

Anyway - I feel pretty good about figuring it out, and having the machine work as it should (up-to-date as well).  Thanks for the responses received above.  My faith was restored a bit this afternoon.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 07:37:52 pm »
Good to see it working

Have fun with it, it's a monster synth!

Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8