March 28, 2024, 05:19:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Vangelis sounds?  (Read 4884 times)

laban77

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Vangelis sounds?
« on: April 09, 2015, 01:45:34 pm »
Not much of activity in this forum. I'm throwing out another question anyway...

Have you found any good Vangelis like sounds in Analog Lab's presets? I mean characteristic sounds often used by the Greek composer, in music from i.e. Bounty, Blade Runner, 1492, and other albums. I know that for instance he used (still using?) Yamaha CS-80 a lot.

Any tips appreciated.

LBH

Re: Vangelis sounds?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 07:27:49 pm »
Not much of activity in this forum. I'm throwing out another question anyway...

Have you found any good Vangelis like sounds in Analog Lab's presets? I mean characteristic sounds often used by the Greek composer, in music from i.e. Bounty, Blade Runner, 1492, and other albums. I know that for instance he used (still using?) Yamaha CS-80 a lot.

Any tips appreciated.

No not much activity in the forum. So just to give you an answer i try this.

I can't tell of any sounds i would call real vangelis signature sounds.
A sound like "Howard Scarr's  - Longhorn" is maybe one of the closest to the Vangelis cs80 signature sounds.

Please keep in mind, that a lot of Vangelis sound also is a result of how he plays and use for instance aftertouch and the ribbon control in cs80 and alike.
Also remember effects and the context a instrument is used in play a role in how a sound sounds.
Play around with the sounds with this in mind, then you maybe find something like what you are searching. Maybe you just need to tweek a little.

I don't know the specific sounds you are looking for.

laban77

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 09:53:53 am »
Ok, I have found a few that are kind of similar (though I don't remember which they are right now). I'll try the one you mentioned too.

Anyway, you're right - it's not just the sound itself, and I'm sure he doesn't leave the sounds as they were preset either. By the way does the CS-80 preset sounds in Analog Lab reflect the original preset sounds in the real old CS-80?

LBH

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 06:55:53 pm »
The presets in Analog Lab is'nt the hardware synths preset's. In the standalone the preset's knobs that in the GUI is the same as on the hardware CS 80 should reflect the originalhardware  presets settings. I'm not sure that's true, as i believe i have heard other sounds too.
You can read about the synth in the Arturia manuals.
You can download the Arturia manuals here: http://arturia.com/support/downloads&manuals

For what i know, i think Arturia CS 80' sound is doing very well. But it's not fully the same as the hardware CS80. But Arturias version is much easier to maintain and don't take to much room and muscles to move. ;)

EDIT: Please remind that Vangelis even when using CS 80 presets did his own settings too for it. Like aftertouch and ribbon's settings with stuff like vibrato, volumen and more to make expression for the sound...

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:51:08 pm by LBH »

Amalgamoth

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 07:19:21 pm »
For what i know, i think Arturia CS 80' sound is doing very well. But it's not fully the same as the hardware CS80. But Arturias version is much easier to maintain and don't take to much room and muscles to move. ;)

Even if it's not fully the same. Us mortals could never afford to buy an original hardware one. I'm trying to regard the CS80V as today's alternative, instead of a perfect replica.
Having said that, I can't help but wonder why Yamaha never considered resurrecting the hardware CS80 with today's technology. Still too expensive I guess.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines