March 28, 2024, 05:55:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: I am THIS close to returning this thing...  (Read 8556 times)

brandonpturner

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I am THIS close to returning this thing...
« on: March 05, 2015, 04:07:36 am »
...which sucks because I really like how it feels. The problem though is that how it feels is the extent of its utility to me.

Perhaps I'm overreacting. Maybe one of you kind souls can steer me in the right direction, here.

Setup: Logic Pro -USB> Beatstep -MIDI> MS20 Mini -SignalOut> Interface -USB> Logic
Beatstep: SEQ + EXT SYNC

The biggest problem I have right now is that it will not perform one of its most important tasks... keep time. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the Beatstep is supposed to receive time from logic, sequence in that time, and "play" the MS20 mini back into Logic. So here are some issues:

Beatstep does NOT play at correct tempo. I set the MS20 to the lowest attack and decay so that it essentially clicks and listen to that along with the metronome clicks in Logic. They match up for just a moment and then drift like car blinkers at a left turn. So I figure whatever maybe I can just force the tempo, but if I tap the tempo into Logic (whether it be accurate or not), the Beatstep goes into some weird almost dotted-sounding rhythm where certain steps are held for a just a bit longer. These time issues along with having to unplug and plug it back in all the time have got me at the end of my rope here.

Does anyone have any ideas that could save this beautiful little piece of kit?

Thank you!

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: I am THIS close to returning this thing...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 02:20:09 pm »
Hi, do you have midi sync setup in logic x ok a little tip is to go into pref and midi /sync at the top delay the midi by -2.0 ms  then at the bottom press on project sync and make sure beat step is on destination 1 .

give that a go and let me know

terrym
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:57:04 pm by terrym »
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

brandonpturner

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 04:18:09 pm »
Hi, do you have midi sync setup in logic x ok a little tip is to go into pref and midi /sync at the top delay the midi by -2.0 ms  then at the bottom press on project sync and make sure beat step is on destination 1 .

give that a go and let me know

terrym

I DO have sync set up. I have not tried a negative delay yet. How do I know when to delay something? Will that effect Logic's connection with every device?

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:38:13 pm »
If your running logic in a loop and you find the beat step not playing ball ,i delayed it by 2ms and this sorted it out .
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments

brandonpturner

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 07:29:21 pm »
Thank you. I will try it. I obviously want things to be able to loop accurately. Here is a screenshot of my Logic settings. Sorry for low quality. I was remoted in.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 08:22:00 pm »
ok i think i set it to 20 ms but show up as 2.0 in logicx not hundred percent sure but it works for me i think there is a 20ms delay in the signal anyway reaching beatstep .
And set the midi destination to beat step only unless you have more than 2 midi things that need sync

terrym

TerryM

brandonpturner

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 08:53:49 pm »
Thank you again. I'll try when I get home.

Elsius

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 10:59:09 pm »
Tried that way and doesn't work, need help terrym!

jasonwann

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 08:32:16 pm »
The solution is to chuck the BeatStep. They have abandoned the product. There are CRITICAL issues with this product that haven't been fixed yet and Arturia show no signs of doing so. I.E. BeatStep loses sync when changing note divisions (1/8 to 1/16, etc), Sync issues with Logic, etc. It's a paperweight and I wish I had returned it when I had the chance, unfortunately I chose to believe Arturia when they said "upcoming software will address these issues". Didn't happen.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 04:51:23 pm »
The solution is to chuck the BeatStep. They have abandoned the product. There are CRITICAL issues with this product that haven't been fixed yet and Arturia show no signs of doing so. I.E. BeatStep loses sync when changing note divisions (1/8 to 1/16, etc), Sync issues with Logic, etc. It's a paperweight and I wish I had returned it when I had the chance, unfortunately I chose to believe Arturia when they said "upcoming software will address these issues". Didn't happen.

There will be a new firmware update soon!
TerryM

jasonwann

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 04:38:12 am »
Will the new firmware fix the sync issues with Logic? Will I be able to switch note divisions and not have the BeatStep lose sync? If so, I might plug it in and try using it again. If not, I will continue to use it as a paperweight because it's actually functional for that purpose.

Lofvberg

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Swedish Hotsynth Quintet
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 08:23:03 am »
Will I be able to switch note divisions and not have the BeatStep lose sync?

No. No you will not. Still has the same bug as before, as far as I can ascertain. On changing divisions or loop length the sequencer still jumps directly to step 1, with no regard for the beat. I can't believe they did not fix this.... It is sad, really.
Kandidat Löfvberg
Member of Swedish Hotsynth Quintet
http://soundcloud.com/shotq

Steevun

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 04:14:35 pm »
I think i have the same problem..................

jasonwann

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 01:42:24 am »
 We all have the same problem, we bought this product and it doesn't work as advertised. It's garbage and Arturia doesn't appear to have interest in fixing it. I'm using it as a paperweight at it's fantastic for that.

yoyz2k

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 09:10:31 pm »
I don't have a beatstep.
But can you try to reproduce it with a hardware sequencer : mc303, electribe, yamaha qyxx or whatever but no PC/Mac.
Seem to be a really big issue and I can't think they have messed a really obvious timing bug.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines