March 28, 2024, 12:50:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BSP disconnecting, sync in Cubase 8 - SOLVED  (Read 7134 times)

maudibe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
BSP disconnecting, sync in Cubase 8 - SOLVED
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:02:33 am »
Hi there guys (and hopefully Arturia mods).

I got my BSP over the weekend and did all the update, read the manual etc etc.

All is good apart from the one thing important!

I am syncing to Cubase 8 - easy to set up. It works. For about 1.5 minutes  ???

I have then closed Cubase and opened MCC - only to see that indeed connection has been lost. .... A reset of the BSP and MCC connects the BSP up again. I relaunch Cubase and all is good again for about 1.5 minutes... then the baby drops off again. Ho-Hum.

I have swapped USB ports... nope

I have looked at every setting in the Mac (new-latest 27"), everything in MCC and everything in Cubase 8. All is good.

The only thing I have not tried is using an external power source for the BSP. I have a feeling this may be the issue:

The BSP is quite happy for hours to sit connected on the MCC page.

But as soon as we launch a DAW the countdown begins  :(

So, I have a feeling that this must be a power issue as the BSP struggles to send clocks and gates etc on the meagre 5v supply offered over USB. Is this good thinking?

So far, I have not been able to save anything to the MCC, because every-time I have something interesting then I go to MCC and i am disconnected. The only way to reconnect it so pull the USB or switch off. Bum.

Sync is working fine with CLK in off my euro rack. Thank god.

However, I really would like to use the USB to achieve sync. rather than clock as it seems tighter and more integrated with my system as a whole.

Arturia - if you read these posts.... PLEASE - sort this issue out or give advice as to why this is happening nd a work around. Meanwhile I am buying an apple type power adapter to see if this helps re the power idea I have put forward.

Otherwise a terrific product!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:25:02 pm by maudibe »
48u Euro :) Korg Karma, iMac, BSP

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
Re: Beatstep Pro disconnecting, losing sync in Cubase 8
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 01:58:02 pm »
Hi,
We've tried to sync Cubase 8 and the BSP (10.10 Yosemite) and no sync problem for more than 5 minutes. What's your OS version?
Best

maudibe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 09:49:46 pm »
Hi Valentin, thanks for looking into this.

I am using Yosemite 10.10.4 (spanking new Mac), Cubase 8 latest update.

I've been using the BSP today and again it disconnected, but after a longer time today - about 10 minutes. However I was starting and stopping Cubase regularly, as I was working on a piece, rather than just playing about. So the drop out seems to be caused by an extended period of continuous playback whilst synced. Is it a buffer overload in the BSP?

Also today, I did not use the Gates or CV's - I was only driving a couple of VSTi's via the USB. So presumably less load on the power requirements?

I did not bother trying to sort the USB connection issues today -  (life is too short!), but continued to use the BSP clocked from my modular, which itself is locked to Cubase via Expert Sleepers Silent Way software. So this is a workaround for me.

However, of course, once the disconnect happens I can not then back up my BSP sequences to the computer, as I have to switch the BSP off or pull the USB in order to get the MMC to see a connection.

To get the most from the unit I really need to be able to reliably save my work during a session, and of course syncing via USB would be preferable. I don't think i'm the only one finding the connection falling off, and not being able to use the MCC reliably for updates, parameter changes or saving.

Thanks again for taking the time to sort these teething troubles out - you have a wonderful product, and once the firmware has had a few niggles removed it will indeed be the workhorse of the decade!

I look forward to firmware updates to strengthen the performance, and hey, some of the suggested functions, such as nudge forward or backwards by a step ;) LOL.... it would be very useful!

Kindest regards, Steve aka Maudibe

maudibe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 08:18:08 pm »
Hi Valentin, understand you all must be super busy - but any news on this. I've put a ticket in but no reply as yet.

Best, Steve

PS - I have a 2.1amp 5v power supply coming tomorrow - I will of course let you know if this improves matters using your Y cable adapter, so only the data is going to the Mac and the power is supplied on the other side. Grasping at straws  ;)

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 09:53:48 pm »
Hi steve, could you try deleting your drivers in the audio midi setup on your mac . turn off the bsp  find your beatsteppro drivers and there are 2.

and turn on the bsp again and you should see at least one driver  now turn off the bsp and hold down the three transport buttons while turning the bsp
the other driver should appear named beat step pro updater

try this and let me know how you get on

regards
Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

maudibe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 11:36:00 am »
Hi Terrym,

Did the delete and re-instal of the drivers following your instruction - still the same ( I thought we had it cracked - but after syncing ok on a 10 minute piece it just stopped). Then launched the MCC and got the pop up error that the BSP was disconnected. In the main MCC screen, no connection :(

All looks good in the MIDI setup page in the Mac.

Next....

maudibe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 12:06:48 pm »
Hi Terrym

Looks like we have it solved  :D

After my re-instal I thought I'd try one niggling thing after I mentioned about buffer overload... (although this might not be the case, it lead my thinking)...

In Cubase sync. set-up there is an option to keep sending midi time code / clock even when the transport is stopped. I had this option checked so that the BSP would continue to run even if I stopped playback of the project (mainly so I could continue working on a groove, irrespective of the rest of the track playing or not). Anyway, I have now de-selected this option and it appears that all is good.

I'm playing in Cubase today, so check to see if the problem has really gone away or just delayed  :-X

So anyone having similar issues; ensure that "transmit MIDI whilst transport is stopped" in NOT checked.

I would think that most DAWS offer a similar function....

Cheers Terrym and Valentin  :-*

maudibe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 03:15:03 pm »
 :(  Think I spoke too soon - I lost connection again last night. Mind that was after a fair while of backwards and forwards in a project.

I will monitor the situation and get back over the weekend.

:-*

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 03:44:04 pm »
Hi , I had the same problem today  . does the mcc ask you to update the firmware?

Ill send the team a question

Terrym
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:27:52 pm by terrym »
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments

maudibe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 10:21:59 pm »
Hi Terrym

Right, unfortunately the USB is still falling off, despite doing the re-instal as you suggested, and double checking my sync. settings.

Here's the latest:

I have re-booted everything and started to play a blank project in Cubase 8 at 95 bpm. After approx. 150 bars the BSP disconnects (I don't have the exact number, as I went to get a beer at 140 bars and when I came back at 160 bars it had stopped! LOL

So I stopped and shutdown Cubase, opened the MCC and got the first pop up message "Error, BSP Disconnected"  - then I got the next message "Update Firmware" or something similar. The MCC couldn't see the BSP as it is disconnected, so I just shut it down.

It's a bit disappointing really. However, the clock input continues to work, so as previously mentioned, I will use that until the USB sync is fixed. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have a modular to rely on though!

Let me know any news. Meanwhile I really do think this is a great product if the USB is sorted - I wouldn't like to put anyone off getting it, but for sure, if you can't clock it directly from your DAW, then that is a bit of a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Best, Steve

maudibe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 07:38:12 pm »
Any news on this Terrym?

:-*

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 08:49:15 pm »
Ok I had a look at this today in cubase 8  fully setup with the beat step pro . So i synced up and let it play got to 150 bars no problem had a personal call came back and the bsp had stopped and not connected anymore.
so i repeated the test and could not repeat the problem
but could you tell me what your project length is in cubase
I had mine set to 12 minutes  and mine fell down after this time. but i could not repeat this fault

i will test further but could you make your project longer and let me know if it falls down within project time

terrym
TerryM

maudibe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 02:01:50 am »
Hi Terrym

So - first try tonight got as far as bar 9 - however the BSP had been switched on and connected for several hours.

So rebooted the Mac, opened Cubase, checked sync connections, pulled BSP USB and re-connected. Played at 95bpm and got as far as bar 65 before it stopped.

Quit Cubase, opened MCC - disconnected message - firmware update offered, but not connected, so shut down. Good night BSP.   :-\

Otherwise known as "totally frecked"  ::)

Meanwhile clocking the BSP from external (euro-rack) clock continues to work as expected.

Your continued interest and feedback to Arturia is appreciated. (PS - I still have not received a response to my original ticket!)

Best, Steve

maudibe

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Beatstep Pro disconnecting, losing sync in Cubase 8 - SOLVED
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 06:24:00 pm »
 :D

OK - Terrym and Valentin. Thanks for your patience and help whilst I sorted this out. I have had another chance to play today. Despite being pro, experienced, etc etc. I am guilty as charged of being a complete noob with the BSP. LOL.

Today I decided not to use MTC and instead use MC. All is good, in fact very good - it has not dropped a beat all day.

In defence, I guess I come from the old school that used to use MTC as a 'default' so that the receiving MIDI device would follow time, rather than clocks. Aye - things have moved along and of course midi clock now follows song position with bars beats and ticks. So, dusting the cobwebs off my grey matter, setting Cubase to clock rather than time code now works fine as expected. Terry - I bet that is what you had done too?

Perhaps a note in the manual is worth it?

I suppose a lot of fresh engineers, producers and composers would go straight to clock rather than time code; but us old gits might make the mistake of choosing time code, thinking it is the only one to tightly follow the song position. The best thing about this game is you never stop learning.  :-*

Best, Steve

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines