March 29, 2024, 07:58:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Arturia Keylab 61 and Keylab hardware  (Read 4681 times)

mintjamman

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Arturia Keylab 61 and Keylab hardware
« on: December 10, 2014, 07:01:38 pm »
Ok I have been using Arturia software for a few years now mainly instruments for live use, I have just purchased V Collection 4 and although I have suitable keyboards which could be used for a controller I have decided to get a dedicated controller for this job, hence I like the idea of the Keylab boards namely the Keylab 61. So a couple of questions maybe for those of you using such a configuration and who may also use the stuff in a live situation.

1. There appears to be a lot of complaints about the Keys of the Keylab hardware being cheap and inferior with stories of broken keys, plastic parts breaking and keyboards that have damage or issues straight out of the box which seems to suggest a Quality Control Issue, Seriously are they this bad?

2. Does anyone know where these boards are made ? the 88 key version is rumoured to be a Fatar keybed so that should offer no such problems but what of the 49 and 61 versions ?

3. The keylab offers as I understand it seamless control and interface of the Lab and the V Collection, are there any other master midi controllers that could also do the exact same job as the keylab ?? like the Novation or Roland A800 pro ?

Thanks for any insight that can be given on these points  ;)

mintjamman

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Arturia Keylab 61 and Keylab hardware
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 01:03:21 pm »
Since posting this I have done a fair bit of research and it appears unfortunately that the Arturia Keylab controllers do not fair well from keys breaking and other keybed related issues along with mechanical failure of some other parts. This will I am afraid stop me buying the Keylab 61 which is a shame as the whole concept is a brilliant idea evidently let down by cost cutting of the keyboard, Arturia should have spec'ed a far better keybed for these products even if it meant coming to market somewhat dearer, there are enough cheap controllers flying around but customers will pay more for something better which is what I intend to do. My next problem is to seek out a 61 note controller which has a professional quality keyboard and has control functions to match the Aurturia and the Lab.

Anyone ?

NCKeys

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 09:35:32 pm »
I really like the Keylab 61. I have owned it since last December (2012).
However the keys (keybed) seems below par. I had to replace a broken key and noticed the other day a B key in the middle of the board is sitting higher than the rest.
I purchased this keyboard for two reasons: 1. the layout of the knobs, sliders and pads. 2. the software.

Really disappointed in the keybed quality.  :( 

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 12:01:23 am »
The Keylab 88 might be a more viable option due to the piano weighted action being more durable.  Not sure if that version has aftertouch though, but it does have space to set your macbook.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

albigenman

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 06:22:27 pm »
I just purchased a Keylab 61and ordered it directly from Arturia in France.  Straight out of the box, hooked it up, registered, installed, and followed all instructions. Top octave of keyboard doesn't work at all no matter what I try. Even upgraded firmware to 1.33, turned on and off, restarted everything possible, all to no avail.  I have tried contacting tech support, but to no avail so far.  any suggestions. I like the layout, and for the most part functionality of the unit, but if I can't rely on it, I need to return it, and I don't even know how to go about that.

m1ke

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 06:45:01 pm »
I own a keylab88 which is a great keyboard, it's a fatar obviously (my dealer told me).
The knobs and pads are the same like keylab49, 61. Those have a different keyboard.
The only problem I have with my keylab88 is that it does not work with several external 5V supplies.
But USB is OK.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines