April 23, 2024, 08:24:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: A good choice for Controlling Ableton Live?  (Read 2103 times)

escmode

A good choice for Controlling Ableton Live?
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:46:38 pm »
Hey good people,

So I was considering buying the Beatstep solely to use as a midi controller for Live. I'll get some use out of the sequencer for sure - but as I've just sold my Push, I need some knobs to control plugins parameters within Live. I've looked at the small Novation Launch Control, but the Beatstep at least in theory, seems to offer more.

Unfortunately, from research it seems the Beatstep isn't plug n' play as far as integration with Live goes. Is that still the case? Am I better off looking at alternatives. I really want a small form factor.

Thanks,
Patrick

DonovanBartish

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: A good choice for Controlling Ableton Live?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 06:45:29 pm »
At this time, I think the best choices for backpack Live controllers would be the Akai APC Key 25 or the APC Mini...

Having said that, I have python scripts I've been writing for Ableton Live that would work with basically any Arturia controller with buttons or pads, but I'm not quite finished yet,  and it'll probably be at the end of April before I have anything that I can share with others. The scripts I have written were originally designed for the MiniLAB, but since I recently got the Beatstep, I should be able to port the scripts without too much trouble.

The way I understand it, it costs a lot of money to have Ableton custom write control surface scripts, so Arturia have stuck to providing only minimal User Remote Scripts for Live.

I spent so much time writing mine that I'm considering selling them but I'm going to at least need testers some time here in the near future...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines