April 16, 2024, 01:53:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: KeyLab 88 : Firmware upgrade Error & Sustain Pedal Polarity  (Read 12281 times)

jimBroski

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
KeyLab 88 : Firmware upgrade Error & Sustain Pedal Polarity
« on: January 23, 2015, 03:37:10 pm »
Hi everyone,

As some other people before, I also have the problem with my new KeyLab 88, that my sustain pedals polarity is reversed. If it is not pressed, the value is 127 and if I press it down, it is 0. I tried reversing it in the MIDI Controller with the result, that it just simply stayed on 127 no matter if I press it down or not.

Has somebody a solution for that? From previous forum posts it seems like nobody found a solution yet.

I tried fixing the problem by installing a firmware update (my KeyLab is running on 1.0.0.8 ), but as I tried installing 1.0.0.10, I got the following error message: "There was an error during the burn process: Please reset the product and retry again"

So I tried resetting the keyboard, holding both octave buttons as I plug the USB cable in, but it didn't tell me if it worked. And afterwards I still couldn't install the new firmware.

Any suggestions for how to fix that problem?

I'm using a MacBook Pro 13 Retina with Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10

I hope you have a solution?! The Tech support doesn't seem to receive my contact message.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:44:00 pm by jimBroski »

baromaro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: KeyLab 88 : Firmware upgrade Error & Sustain Pedal Polarity
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 07:04:14 pm »
I opened my Roland damper pedal and I used a welder to switch the cable of the internal button to the NC contact.

I had the same problem with updating my firmware. I don't know how, but after a lot of try I was able to update my keyboard.

jimBroski

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 07:47:13 pm »
Thank you for the response!

Regarding the Pedal: I use the same pedal also on a different keyboard. There must be a better way to fix this than to weld something. I just got the KeyLab new.

Regarding the update: Well. I tried many times. I don't really know anymore what to do differently.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 10:43:35 pm »
I have a Roland sustain pedal too, and reversing the polarity in the Midi Manager has resolved at times, but it doesn't stay consistent. 
I think getting a sustain pedal that has a polarity switch might be an easier work around for now until this gets resolved long term.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

jimBroski

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 11:01:42 pm »
Thank you. I guess that's what I will do. Seems to be a general problem with all KeyLab 88 models.

Has anyone a solution though for my problem, that I can't install the firmware update? Is there maybe an alternative way?

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 12:26:59 am »
I think it's a problem with their controllers in general.
I have The Laboratory 49, installed on both a PC, and a newer iMac with the same results.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

Legs

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • legslarsen@email.com
    • UNA
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 07:42:55 am »
Try the LiveWire LWS250 Universal Sustain pedal. I use it and it works fine... but, today at a rehearsal using Ableton Live, uvi Workstation, a couple of times the sustain pedal stuck open. So that could be verifying what's posted above. Not too much fun if it happens in a live gig sitch.
Richard

jimBroski

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 10:01:49 am »
That's kinda annoying. I hope they fix this soon. Until then I guess I have to get a pedal with reversible polarity. But this is still pretty annoying. Makes me consider to return it while I still can and switch to the MPK 88 - which is a shame, because despite the problems I really like the rest of the keyboard!

Regarding the firmware update: I got it to work! My problem apparently was, that I did not unplug it and plug it back in while the little window was open.

jimBroski

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 11:11:11 am »
OK, so I found another workaround. It's not ideal, but it works for now.

Apparently the Expression Pedal In reads the polarity the correct way. So since I'm not using an expression pedal, I was able to just plug my sustain pedal in there. In the MIDI Control Center I then selected the Expression Pedal and gave it the CC Number 64 (for sustain). Now it's working.

trinitycadet

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 08:34:30 pm »
I just got my Keylab 88 and I'm experiencing the same issue with the sustain pedal.  There is definitely a glitch in the software.  I use MainStage 3, so I can reverse the plugin's response to the command.  However, I have to go to every sound I might use and make the change.  It would be easier to buy a pedal with the right polarity.  I have four of the wrong ones! 

I like the way it plays and it is really built well for how light it is.  However, there are silly limitations that any thoughtful modern company should have overcome.  It's good board that could be great!

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 04:08:29 pm »
Hey guys, some of you may already be aware of this, but an update of the Keylab 88's firmware has recently been released :

http://www.arturia.com/support/updates&manuals#keylab88

It should fix the issue about the sustain pedal !

Mitz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 04:27:02 pm »
Hi

KeyLab 88 : Firmware upgrade Error

Can anyone help with the above problem?

In Midi Control Center it says: Firmware Revision Unknown

When I click on Unknown a Firmware Upgrade window appears > Keylab 88 could not get firmware revision. It gives two options Upgrade / Cancel

I click on Upgrade and a window appears > Please select the firmware file to burn...I select KeyLab88-MP-v1.0.17-20150202.led

A window appears > Enter Firmware Upgrade Mode which says: Please unplug the keyboard, then plug it in again. Click 'OK' when ready, or 'Cancel' to abort the firmware update.

I follow the instructions and unplug keyboard, plug it back in and press OK.

A window appears Firmware Update Error Failed to open the device.

Any help with this will be gratefully received; I have had Keylab for weeks now and just want to get it working to play some music...

Steve_Karl

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Music by Steve Karl
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 05:28:10 pm »
Sustain pedal polarity ...

The quick and easy "physical" fix (i.e. if you have a soldering iron) is to reverse the wires on the 1/4" jack.

lincolnlogs7

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 02:44:50 am »
I couldn't find any real fixes on any forums, but after some troubleshooting I figured out a really great way to fix the reversed polarity problem within the keylab controller.

1. Plug in your sustain pedal and give it a tap so that it shows up on the display screen
2. Press the "Edit" button below the screen. It should turn blue.
3. To the right of the edit button are 10 more buttons, press the one labelled "Min LSB"
4. On the display you should see that the minimum value is 0 and the maximum value is 127. Using the "Value" Knob change the Min value to 127 and PRESS INWARD ON THE VALUE KNOB TO SAVE THIS. The knob will click very apparently.
5.Click the "Max MSB" button and repeat step 4 to change it from 127 to 0.

Now the pedal should work appropriately. Arturia should really fix this, glad I found a workaround though that doesn't affect anything else. Hope this helps you guys.

tonycore

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 11:21:57 pm »
i am having the same issue with the sustain pedal; additionally, on most if not all of the non-editable presets in analog lab, the "cutoff" and "resonance" knobs work backwards: e.g., as i turn them clockwise and the value increases, the cutoff frequency moves down and the resonance decreases.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines