March 28, 2024, 12:08:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sequencing externals  (Read 9348 times)

Distressor

Sequencing externals
« on: January 17, 2015, 05:16:22 pm »
Hi,
I am looking for a hardware to sequence drums coming from the D16 Drumazon AU Plugin running in Logic Pro.
As far as i understand Spark LE will sequence its own drum samples only.
Is this correct or can i use the internal sequencer for different AUs or even external hardware as well?
If the answer is yes i'll buy it right away.
Thanks

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
Re: Sequencing externals
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 05:40:15 pm »
SparkLE (and Spark) hardware are "just" MIDI controller surfaces, with no local processing power that includes standalone sequencing. All sequencing (and sound generation) is done by the software side of Spark/SparkLE, now known as "Spark 2".

BeatStep is the only hardware controller + Standalone sequencer that I know from Arturia (if we exclude their hw synths seqs)

Distressor

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 05:57:02 pm »
Hi Koshdukai,
thanks for the fast replay.
Do you know if the Spark2 software sends out midi note numbers from its sequencer?
Does the SparkLE hardware controller communicate with the software with regular midi messages or is there a special Arturia protocol running?

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 03:23:11 am »
Well, Spark2 should send MIDI out from the pads and the sequencer.
There's a "Send MIDI from..." Yes/No setting in Prefs to turn that on/off.

Running as Standalone, you'll have to set its Setup, Audio MIDI Settings, MIDI Output
and running as VST/AU, your DAW will have to allow MIDI out from it to be directed to other MIDI in instruments or MIDI output ports.

Problem is... this isn't working in 2.1, at least I'm currently unable to make it work either as Standalone or Live 8.
(TBH, I've never been able to understand properly if it was me doing something wrong, if I understood it wrong and expected something it wasn't meant to do or if this was/is something that never worked and I was unable to explain it properly for this "bug" to be fixed).
EDIT: Just tried this again with Live 8 and it works, as long as Live's own sequencer is running along with Spark 2's own sequencer. If Live is stopped but Spark 2 is running, no MIDI is passed out from it by Live.

Regarding the controller, it uses regular but a special set of MIDI CC's and Notes to mirror the software state and to send the user actions on the controller to the software.

Both Spark and SparkLE have a user-configurable "Generic MIDI Controller" mode, like any other MIDI controller, to allow it to control other software, while in this "Generic" mode.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 06:13:41 pm by Koshdukai »

mixalis

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 03:52:08 pm »
I would love to see a tutorial on how to sequence externals with sparks sequencer

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 04:37:47 pm »
Hi all ,i can use spark to play other drum instruments in cubase ok if i get time to make a video i will . i know its tricker in other daws due to the  midi set up . but all you do is have spark track open and say add groove agent and set the input of groove agent to spark midi out.
arm the track . also make sure your pads are on the same midi notes in spark . press play now the sequence is playing groove agent.

hope this helps

regards

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 10:26:53 pm »
I guess BeatStep PRO can solve this more easily now, if you don't intend to use Spark's sounds

http://www.arturia.com/beatstep-pro/overview
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:28:53 pm by Koshdukai »

Beetlebum

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 07:33:30 pm »
Thanks Koshdukai!

I can get also midi output from the Sparkle VST sequencer in Plogue Bidule only if I slave the VST to the host sync.

I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but have asked Arturia support about it.

Beetlebum

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 06:29:06 pm »
I was finally able to get the sequencer to output the midi note data running the Sparkle VST inside Bidule.

To get midi note output from the Sparkle VST sequencer, the sequencer must be provided (host) sync, and receive a 'start/play' command. In Bidule I did this by using a Step Sequencer object and slaving the Sparkle VST to it.

Without out an external sync, all the sequencer puts out is active sensing. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not.

Another similar thread over here:
http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=83345.0

mixalis

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 02:18:03 pm »
Can i see a video on this? i want to control groove agent with spark sequencer as well!
but i cant find out how yet...Also there is no similar video on the net..it will be helpful...

Hi all ,i can use spark to play other drum instruments in cubase ok if i get time to make a video i will . i know its tricker in other daws due to the  midi set up . but all you do is have spark track open and say add groove agent and set the input of groove agent to spark midi out.
arm the track . also make sure your pads are on the same midi notes in spark . press play now the sequence is playing groove agent.

hope this helps

regards

terrym

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 04:15:38 pm »
Hi, There is a bug in spark 2  and it's not sending any midi data out . this is being looked at by arturia ,

regards

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments

mixalis

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 07:26:46 pm »
Ok...When the fix is done, please make a quick video on this..

Thanks!

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 07:36:05 pm »
No problem.
TerryM

mixalis

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 03:05:46 pm »
Hi there! I hope you can make this video now that the fix is here....

mixalis

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 11:19:06 am »

hope this helps

regards

terrym

how did you made the pads on the same midi notes in spark?         i tried with midi control center but didnt work

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines