March 28, 2024, 08:55:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Matrix 12 volume low  (Read 3033 times)

jackn2mpu

Matrix 12 volume low
« on: December 25, 2014, 04:21:20 pm »
Compared to other Arturia synths the volume on the Matrix 12 seems very low. This is both in standalone and in ProTools 11.3.0. Volume maxed out in the synth gui and still low compared to everything else. Happens throughout all the factory patches and some are even lower than others. Is there something I'm missing?
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

GrantPettigrew

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Matrix 12 volume low
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 12:34:16 am »
Yes, I am having the same issue -very low preset volume compared to other plugins (including other Arturia ones)...

reddog

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 02:05:47 am »
Try raising the volume using the Master Volume knob just to the right of the preset name display (it's a quite a dark grey colour and not too conspicuous).

But yes, many of the presets' volumes are quite low.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 02:43:39 am »
Try raising the volume using the Master Volume knob just to the right of the preset name display (it's a quite a dark grey colour and not too conspicuous).

But yes, many of the presets' volumes are quite low.
That's the first thing I did (as if I didn't know what that control was for - this ain't my first rodeo) and even with that at max a lot of the patches are low in volume.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

GrantPettigrew

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 06:03:45 pm »
I have had "volume" issues before with Arturia plugins, where the sound volume jumps from low to high, but the Matrix 12 volume is just very very low.

I think the Solina is behaving similarly, so maybe related to the most recent software title releases.

Surely it must be a simple thing to resolve, and I wonder why this wasn't picked up in testing before release ?

I've never had any volume issues with any other manufacturer, and I have quite a few plugins now.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 12:34:40 pm »
I have had "volume" issues before with Arturia plugins, where the sound volume jumps from low to high, but the Matrix 12 volume is just very very low.

I think the Solina is behaving similarly, so maybe related to the most recent software title releases.

Surely it must be a simple thing to resolve, and I wonder why this wasn't picked up in testing before release ?

I've never had any volume issues with any other manufacturer, and I have quite a few plugins now.
The first issue I think is due to the s/w picking up where your volume pedal is and immediately jumping to that from what the patch is without any kind of data smoothing. But once past that I've not had that kind of issue.

There are general volume issues with Arturia product in that they are not consistent in how they respond to incoming cc7 volume control messages. And some are obscenely loud at the top end - for example the Mg Modular distorts before you even get half way with the volume pedal as shown on the instrument gui volume control. And this just makes the low volume level with the Matrix even more obvious.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

andyjh

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 04:12:46 pm »
I had a quick check of the levels from Arturia plugs ins,  and this is what I got, using a dry pure square wave on middle C

dB output

Matrix 12  -16.3 (default level) -9.8max

SEM    -6.2 @0dB   +14.2 max

Solina   -9.8 @0dB   +14.2 max

Vox  -12 @0db (0dB is max)

Wurlitzer  -13.5dB@0dB   -3.5 max

2600  -1.2@0db  +18.7 @ max

CS80  -9.6@0db  -1.9 @ max

JP8  -2.9  (max)

Mini  -7.4 @0dB  -1.4 max

Modular  -8.1@0dB  +27.8 max

Prophet  +1.7 (at 1)  +11.2 max

Probably shows the inconsistencies that everyone is noticing,  the Modular V can be a bit violent with it's level - and it seems the Vox is the quietest, followed by the Matrix.

The biggest inconsistency is what Arturia seem to classify as 0dB,  although they may be a allowing for what the effects can do to the level, which I didn't test

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines