March 19, 2024, 07:01:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Use of MCC together with DAW app.?  (Read 9428 times)

heckstall

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Use of MCC together with DAW app.?
« on: December 19, 2014, 04:05:44 pm »
Newbie question: Is it possible to connect both the MIDI Control Center together with my DAW (Reaper in this case) connected as MIDI input channel.
I am only able to connect MCC or DAW. Is there a way to use e.g. LoopBe1 (or MidiYoke or ....). Thank you!

stuey

• Spark Moderator
Re: Use of MCC together with DAW app.?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 05:02:05 pm »
Hi,

The Midi control centre is a universal app that when connected to Arturia devices, can be used to edit their parameters and settings.
The easiest thing to do is to look at the Midi implementation chart of the device you want to control, note down the CC numbers of the desired settings to tweak, then open up your Midi control centre and making sure you have an Arturia product connected, change the relevant values.

What Arturia hardware do you own?

Thanks, Stuart   

Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

heckstall

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:02:24 pm »
Hello Stuart,
I use the Beatstep sequencer/controller. In my Reaper DAW I have VST plugins that I connected to the MIDI output of the Beatstep. Having both DAW and MCC connected is not allowed.
In the past I used a similar application with BFD2 drum VST controlled by drum pads. At the same time a controller like MCC was connected to the drumpad's electronics to tweak several parameters.
I do not see a MIDI-thru on MCC so I guess it cannot be done (pity  :'(). A virtual MIDI-cable would do the job too but I do not know how. I presume I am not the first one with this "problem"?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 10:06:25 pm by heckstall »

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 11:24:51 pm »

I do not see a MIDI-thru on MCC so I guess it cannot be done

?
Hi,
I'm not sure I understand... The MCC is just an admin tool really, it's just to write info to your beatstep and whatever other Arturia things you have. It doesn't work as an instrument so it doesn't transmit anything through it, hence no input or output. It will see your beatstep but only to configure it. (Via USB)

Plug in your beatstep into your machine and it should just pick up anything you open, as long as you have the input selected and your midi channels have the appropriate input, then any VST's on that channel will be playable with beatstep (or any controller you have plugged in).

In the past I used a similar application with BFD2 drum VST controlled by drum pads.

What did you use before?

I use BFD2 and Abbey Road Drums with beatstep.

I would verify that you have your midi inputs set up correctly, also try it with USB.

Thanks, Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

heckstall

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 08:54:35 am »
Hello Stuart,
I guess I do something wrong but;
I connect Beatstep with the MIDI in and output of the DAW. MCC complains when I try to sync it with Beatstep.
When I connect (sync) MCC first with Beatstep my DAW complains another app has already been connected.
So I think MCC and DAW cannot be connected at the same time with Beatstep.

For my eDrums I used Megadrum, a DIY control unit.
Thank you Stuart!

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 10:21:31 am »
MCC complains when I try to sync it with Beatstep

Hi, it needs to be connected via USB to sync, then once set up, you can use Midi. But there is no need to have it open when in your DAW.

Thanks, Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

heckstall

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 06:18:06 pm »

But there is no need to have it open when in your DAW.

Thanks, Stuart

But that is exactly I want to do:
Configure beatstep controls within MCC, e.g. controls to change drawbar settings of my VST-hammond, and check the effect by activating the controls on Beatstep (and listening to the sound).
Now I have to connect (sync) and disconnected both DAW and MCC again and again.
Thanks.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 06:59:20 pm »

and check the effect by activating the controls on Beatstep

What do you mean by this? Do you mean that you are 'learning' control when you have both open? There's no need to do that.

Restore the default beatstep setting to your computer, rename as hammond then store it on your beatstep - Close MCC
Open your VST, go into learn mode and move the controls you want control for. Either save or come out of the DAW midi learn mode and you should have control. You can now store that setting on any pad you like.

Or if you need different control options, rather than editing the same patch - Save a new one. Duplicate that same preset onto your computer, save onto another pad on your beatstep and change the midi CC for the control you need to alter. Then re-learn that new CC and you have 2 presets.

There is no need to have the MCC open at the same time. If you know the Midi CC numbers you need to edit, just input them, if you don't, you save a default pad and let the software learn the controls.

Hope that helps

Thanks, Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

heckstall

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 08:58:49 pm »
Thank you Stuart!
My PC crashed today so cannot try this at the moment, but I think this will work for me. Did not realize the learn mode

frenzy909

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 03:25:11 pm »
So I also want to be able to run the two at the same time. E.g., to be able to edit the userscale while working in my DAW on a project...

It seems a very severe (and unnecessary) limitation not to be able to do this...?

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 12:03:38 pm »
So I also want to be able to run the two at the same time. E.g., to be able to edit the userscale while working in my DAW on a project...

It seems a very severe (and unnecessary) limitation not to be able to do this...?

There's no need to have it open at the same time. The MCC is purely a utility app and should be used only to edit the hardware you want to set up. Edit CC, pad control and presets then save and forget it.

Why don't you just save 16 variations to the pads and change between them, evenedit them on the fly? Either save the edit or revert to your saved version.

Thanks,Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

frenzy909

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 01:10:44 pm »
Why don't you just save 16 variations to the pads and change between them, evenedit them on the fly?

Ok, let me augment: I want to be able to change the "user scale" on my beatstep on the fly. I have not seen a way to do this?

(but I might have missed it, since I also don't see how to edit the assignments of CCs to pads/knobs on-the-fly?)

Any pointer is very welcome!

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 07:20:09 pm »
I'm interested to know what scales you'd want besides the 8 scales you have to your disposal?

When I say 'on the fly' i mean edit notes, for example when you have a sequence running.

Thanks, Stuart 
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

frenzy909

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 12:17:48 am »
well, any scale I think I'd like to make up at that instant. E.g., if I want to only use one or two notes from a particular drum-synth, it would be very convenient to select a scale with only these two in there. And also for melody making it would be cool to just define arbitrary scales on the fly... ;-)

frenzy909

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 01:46:23 am »
Oh, and according to the manual, there are "some very cool sequencer options that can only be accessed through the included MIDI Control Center software" (swing etc.)

However, that just means that you can't really use them with your DAW... It's only useful for controlling other equipment after you go through the effort of opening up this control center...?

Seems not very well-thought through?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines