March 28, 2024, 03:10:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Why?  (Read 12844 times)

aaron aardvark

Why?
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:41:53 am »
I own all sorts of Arturia software: the V3 Collection, Spark Vintage Drum Machine, Spark Dubstep,etc. Disappointed that ever since Vox-V, every new Arturia software product won't work with my Mac OSX 10.6.8 (and Cubase LE4).  I tried Mac OSX 10.9.2 and Cubase 7 (trial version): I couldn't get Mg Modular-V, and another one (MiniMg-V, I think) to work at all (I realize this might be fixed by now), or my u-he synths to work right.  I reverted back to my old set up after lots of wasted time and effort.  Other synth plug-in companies can make new products that work with my old software, why can't Arturia?   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:35:42 am by aaron aardvark »

jackn2mpu

Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 04:18:02 pm »
I own all sorts of Arturia software: the V3 Collection, Spark Vintage Drum Machine, Spark Dubstep,etc. Disappointed that ever since Vox-V, every new Arturia software product won't work with my Mac OSX 10.6.8 (and Cubase LE4).  I tried Mac OSX 10.9.2 and Cubase 7 (trial version): I couldn't get Mg Modular-V, and another one (MiniMg-V, I think) to work at all (I realize this might be fixed by now), or my u-he synths to work right.  I reverted back to my old set up after lots of wasted time and effort.  Other synth plug-in companies can make new products that work with my old software, why can't Arturia?
There comes a time when developers can no longer support an older operating system due to program constraints, particularly when going to 64 bit plugins. When you tried OSX10.9.2 did you try the Modular V and mini in standalone mode? I have two partitions on my iMac; one runs OSX 10.8.5 and the other is OSX 10.9.5. Prior to downloading/installing ASC (the new authorization system) my three synths (Mg Modular, Mini and CS80) ran just fine in OSX 10.8.5 but the Mini wouldn't run in OSX 10.9.5 while the other two would run no problem. Updating to the ASC and new versions of the three synths they now work fine in both OSX versions.

Perhaps if you posted what specific Mac you have we might be able to help better. Sometimes you just have to dig in and change to a newer operating system to be able to use current synths or other software.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

aaron aardvark

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 06:31:02 am »
Thank you for replying!  I reverted back to Mac OSX 10.6.8 before Arturia came out with Vox-V, Solina-V, and Matrix-12V.  Since then, Arturia came out with newer revisions that may have fixed my earlier problems.  I also found out that my Tascam US-144 audio/MIDI interface (not a MKII or whatever the newer one is) does not work with the newer Mac OSX's, which sucks (no more updates on that unit).  I realize I can't operate on Mac OSX 10.6.8 forever, but some of Arturia's competitors have just come out with synth plug-ins that still work with my older OSX.  I would have gotten the V4 Collection upgrade (and Analog Lab updates) for sure, had it worked with OSX 10.6.8.  Based on what I went through, I'm not going to operate in anything newer than Mac OSX 10.6.8 until I get a new Mac computer (which could be years from now).  If I remember correctly, MiniMg-V and Mg Modular-V didn't work for me in standalone mode either with Mac OSX 10.9.2 and Cubase 7 (trial version).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 06:33:38 am by aaron aardvark »

jackn2mpu

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 01:13:17 pm »
Thank you for replying!  I reverted back to Mac OSX 10.6.8 before Arturia came out with Vox-V, Solina-V, and Matrix-12V.  Since then, Arturia came out with newer revisions that may have fixed my earlier problems.  I also found out that my Tascam US-144 audio/MIDI interface (not a MKII or whatever the newer one is) does not work with the newer Mac OSX's, which sucks (no more updates on that unit).  I realize I can't operate on Mac OSX 10.6.8 forever, but some of Arturia's competitors have just come out with synth plug-ins that still work with my older OSX.  I would have gotten the V4 Collection upgrade (and Analog Lab updates) for sure, had it worked with OSX 10.6.8.  Based on what I went through, I'm not going to operate in anything newer than Mac OSX 10.6.8 until I get a new Mac computer (which could be years from now).  If I remember correctly, MiniMg-V and Mg Modular-V didn't work for me in standalone mode either with Mac OSX 10.9.2 and Cubase 7 (trial version).
If you would get a new audio interface then you wouldn't have problems running Arturia and other stuff on a more modern version of OSX than 10.6.8. Sometimes you have to let go of the old outdated no longer supported hardware and buy new stuff. Audio interfaces aren't that expensive depending on what you need.

You haven't said what specific Mac you have and that would help as some older ones won't run Mavericks or Yosemite.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

aaron aardvark

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 07:49:50 am »
I have a 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3.  It's about 5 years old.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 12:46:19 pm »
I have a 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3.  It's about 5 years old.
CPU wise you should be able to run Yosemite but memory wise you're going to have issues and should really add more ram. You still haven't said EXACTLY what iMac you have - we need screen size and model year. Depending on size and model year some can take up to 32 gig (27 inch models). You could also get Mountain Lion from the App Store but you have to call for that; last I saw it was listed at $20 US. Yosemite might be free but as it's relatively new developers aren't up to full speed with it so it'd be worth it to get Mountain Lion and if you do get the OSX 10.8.5 combo updater from Apple.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

aaron aardvark

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 09:24:18 am »
My iMac was purchased (re-furbished) in November 2009.  It has a ~24" (visible)/(~26" outer black border of screen)  diagonal screen.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:27:04 am by aaron aardvark »

jackn2mpu

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 01:14:09 pm »
My iMac was purchased (re-furbished) in November 2009.  It has a ~24" (visible)/(~26" outer black border of screen)  diagonal screen.
Still not what I asked for. I need the exact Mac model - like is it a mid 2009 model or what? Go to 'About This Mac' in the Apple menu at the top left of the screen. When the next window opens click on 'more info'. When the next window comes up (which is the system profiler window) expand the arrow for Hardware and in the right hand pane which is titled Hardware Overview you'll have a model name and model identifier. I need the model identifier number. I ask this because the info you give me doesn't jibe with what MacTracker says is possible for a mid2009 24 inch iMac. Specifically the cpu MacTracker shows isn't what's available your machine. Like I say not all Mac models can take the same amount of ram and we need to know the EXACT model you have to be able to help.

But in the end you really need more than just 4 gig ram.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 02:58:51 pm »
Serial number will do it, :)

Then you can check online the exact model.

Update the RAM to something like 16Gb, update to Mavericks (I always use the version before the current version of Mac OS ) then you should be fine to use the current Arturia products.

You may then run into issues with you audio device. Check to see if your audio i/o is compatible with Mavericks first.

Upgrade.. Happy days!

Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

aaron aardvark

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 06:22:05 pm »
Model Identifier: iMac9,1

Processor Speed:   3.06 GHz
  Number Of Processors:   1
  Total Number Of Cores:   2
  L2 Cache:   6 MB
  Memory:   4 GB
  Bus Speed:   1.07 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:   IM91.008D.B08
  SMC Version (system):   1.45f0

I don't feel comfortable about going public with the serial number or hardware UUID.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 07:08:47 pm »
That's base RAM for that machine. As mirrored by other posts, i'd upgrade the RAM. You can only get 8Gb Max in your machine so firstly do that, then upgrade your OS. Mavericks should be fine but i'm sure Yosemite will be ok if you want brand new. 

Worth a read.

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/205/macdriverformavericks_beta_en4_tomdoc_d(bk)_revb2.pdf

Hope that helps
Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

aaron aardvark

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 12:26:31 am »
Thanks for the info guys.  That Tascam link covers the US-144 MkII: mine is not a MkII.

jackn2mpu

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 01:30:42 pm »
Thanks for the info guys.  That Tascam link covers the US-144 MkII: mine is not a MkII.
I would take this as a sign that in addition to more ram you're going to need a more modern interface. When I got my current system that came with Mountain Lion I had to give up a perfectly good Edirol UA1000 that had worked well for years because there weren't drivers that worked on an Intel Mac machine for it. Getting a new interface will also get you something with way better sound than the Tascam; not that they're not a good machine but certainly not up to current standards.
musicman691
Qapla!
MacPro 2012 cheesgrater
OSX 10.13.6
3.46 GHz hex core cpu
48 gig ram

aaron aardvark

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 09:45:13 pm »
I feel like Tascam is just forcing people to spend more money on interfaces by not updating products that are not very old.  I have seen a couple of people on the internet say they won't buy Tascam again for that reason.  I have lots of music gear from the 80's (starting in 1981) and the 90's that still works, why should a piece of hardware become obsolete after only 5 years?  I understand the computer technology is rapidly getting more complex, but is there really that much technology in an interface?  People are often spending a lot of money to make their recordings sound like they were made in the 60's, 70's, or 80's.  OK, I'm done ranting for the time being..........well maybe not.  Arturia makes lots of synth plug-ins to sound like synths that are 30, 40, even 50 years old.  OK, now I'm done ranting.  Thank you for replying.  :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:48:09 pm by aaron aardvark »

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 11:03:55 pm »
The thing is, your gear from the 80's hasn't been made to support a specific thing as your Tascam has. That thing being a computer will become obsolete at some point. So your old gear should last for years because it's probably a standalone product.

Also bearing in mind that the new version of that unit is £125, i mean it's probably not worth the redesign or support to update it. Sad as it is, but we live in a throw away world, unless that is you buy top end gear which will cost you ten times the cost of that Tascam.

Tascam used to make nice 4 tracks :)

Thanks,
Stuart     
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark