March 28, 2024, 09:43:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: iProphet observations  (Read 6718 times)

Christopher Winkels

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
iProphet observations
« on: October 08, 2014, 12:29:49 pm »
I notice there isn't a dedicated forum for the iProphet (yet), so a few observations after two days of owning it.

Overall I like the sound a lot, but there are quite a few shortcomings.

1.  Kind of disappointed in the maximum of four voices polyphony (running on iPad2).  I wonder if later iPad iterations with greater processing power offer more voices.  Anyone care to enlighten me?  I also don't see any mention of polyphony on the Arturia web page for iProphet. 

2.  Why is there no facility for user-generated waveforms?  I thought that's why the first 32 waveform slots were blanked off; so that the end user to insert his or her own.

3.  Oscillator sync is mentioned in the promotional blurb but I don't see it implemented.  I do see LFO sync, but a scan of the user manual doesn't reveal any mention of what it does or how to access it.

4.  About that manual (User Guide in app parlance).  It's terrible.  It glosses over so many areas and reads more like a marketing document than an educational one. 

I know this is only a $10 app, but a little more thoughtfulness and forthrightness would have been appreciated. 

turingmach

Re: iProphet observations
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 04:20:00 am »
Christopher,

1. Using an iPad mini Retina (a.k.a. iPad mini 2), I too get only 4-note polyphony.  Curiously, on the Main edit page under “AMP,” touching “All Voices” pops up a window with 8 pan pots; the left 4 do what you’d expect, the right 4 do nothing.  I noticed also there is no double/split mode.

2. The first 32 waveforms were used for user-defined waveforms on the VS.  The user would select, set the harmonics, and mix 4 waveforms—including ones which were user-created, if I remember correctly—and save them to one of the first 32 slots.  No idea why this wasn’t implemented.

3.  The original had no oscillator sync.  My only guess as to what LFO sync might be is for syncing it to an external clock.  (?)

4.  Google “Prophet VS manual” to find the original manual in .pdf.  It might be helpful if you’re unfamiliar with the VS.

5.  You didn’t ask, but next to “Master” and “Bend Range” above the wheels is a little keyboard icon that, when touched, opens up some other options, one of which is “Voices.”  The VS would use “Circular” when in poly mode.  You’d normally want this with longer release times and are expecting notes to overlap.  (This one got me for a couple minutes until I found it.)

Christopher Winkels

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:18:42 am »
That's a shame about the polyphony.  The whole point of this machine is big, evolving pads.  Having only four voices curbs the ability to do that while still maintaining decently long decays. 

This really feels like 7/8-ths of a finished instrument.

Mr.Singlinlindon

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:01:17 pm »
Anybody know if Arturia offers a discount bundle if you buy all 3 iPad synthesizers?

mdesignffm

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 10:30:30 pm »
iprophet is practically unusable. hanging notes, buggy polyphony, crashes. gave mine back today.

ndrecchia

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 04:10:47 am »
unusable and if you make personal presets, after many days you cannot more find the saved presets.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines