March 29, 2024, 02:28:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Spark Mulit Ouput (and preset) issues with cubase and changing kits.  (Read 2535 times)

:'(
I have such a difficult relationship with Spark. I need it, but it gives me many problems. Using it in win 7 64 cubase 7.5, I have spark 2 as a vst plugin. I have long struggled with recording midi data with it and having it work that way, it doesn't work the way I want it to. I have to record audio output to a buss and just record it. I have mastered this and want to expand out to 16 outs so I have more control at mixdown. I have mastered how to do this also, after many hours of trial and error, it works ! Nice!

Here's the issue. When I change drumkits in the project, it screws with the outs. It goes back to master. Every time. I don't change project, just drumkit. I even do it while recording, in a break. It works fine for me, but why does spark revert to the master outs every time? And on top of that, my presets for the outs (master/16) do not work. They do nothing. I have to manually change each channel, every time I change kits. I can't deal with that.I can't save my own presets for the mixer outs either, it must be a software issues. Is there a fix for this in the works, or a trick i can do right now? Thanks folks.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: Spark Mulit Ouput (and preset) issues with cubase and changing kits.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 01:18:22 pm »
Hi , i think arturia are looking at the multi out issue .but since spark was first released the kits have always been linked to the outs programmed in the kit. you say you can't save a project with multi outs .what daw are you using?
my work around is to make a template project with the multi outs already assigned then just add intruments to each pad.

you also say you have problems with recording midi/audio, you can do all these things with spark maybe you missed something.

if i can help let me know

regards

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 07:30:27 pm »
Maybe what I want out of spark isn't possible.  Cubase 7.5 in it's most modern form is the DAW. I have already done what is suggested: I make a template with outputs routed in cubase. I've got the hang of that. I can start a project and record 16 outs right away. The problem is when changing kits. In a session, I will change kits OFTEN. This really slows me down. Especially with presets not working right, I have to change every channel.This is less of a problem with my older macbook, as 16/master mixer presets actually work.  Meanwhile, I am performing live with spark and missing out. Not good. Changing kits is a part of the performance.

Do I have to open up kits I want to use ahead of time and change the outputs and save? would that work?

Midi record just isn't working for me. As mentioned before, I change kits mid performance, I cannot get the system to automate kit changes. I can get far in the process, but it just is too limited. I can record automation and program changes mostly. I did a recording like this, where I run the spark sequencer AND trigger pads on top of it (that don't get added to the sequence) and the pads I trigger do not get recorded. I end up with an inaccurate recording of what I performed and it ruins my project.

Is there ANY way to get spark in MIDI data (so you can edit and tweak later) recorded EXACTLY as it comes out of spark (midi pads and sequencer patterns at the same time)?

I feel like I almost made it to this point, but my drum hits were doubled by spark and it sounded awful. It seems like spark can only accept midi from pads OR sequencer to good effect. If you try using both, it's doomed to fail.

multi out is not even really what I want, It's a compromise. DAW integration is something I expected to be done better at this point by Arturia. I started with 1.6 and it never quite did what I wanted it to do. I expected 2.0 to fix many problems, but it has come up short. I also get a TON of crashes both in my pc desktop AND my macbook, both in standalone AND VST plugin. It happens most frequently when I am saving a project or kit. I am thinking about dropping the Spark at this point for NI.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 08:11:53 pm »
Hi . i don't have a problem with midi record in cubase i can record and play both the sequence and pads i have added my cubase template
and a screenshot .
as i said before i think arturia mentioned they would look at the kit and multi out problem in a future  update .
for no what about having multiple spark plugins open
or use a template and change interments only as this doesn't change the output.
if its not for live use could you not overdub?

hope this helps a bit
http://ul.to/88f7k3ua    link for a template /multiout project to use with this cubase template

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 08:54:05 pm »
I will try the stuff you posted, Terry, thank you. The multiple spark plugins idea could work. What I do is sort of complicated and hard to explain. I have a 3 pc band ( spark for rhythm, I play bass guitar at the same time, vocalist and synth player) and we record everything live in 1 take. I end up with a huge cubase session 1+ hour long, which I break down later. I'd like to have the entire performance captured on cubase and be able to edit out silly stuff that I didn't want to do after the fact. Changing instruments individually isnt' fast enough, I need to change the whole kit. Can this be automated?

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 10:29:03 pm »
Also, what version of cubase is that screenshot from? My midi devices do not have the same names at all. What operating system/platform are you on? Are you using spark 2 and the LE controller? It looks like you have the VSTI opened in the instrument rack, with a folder included and a midi track? Does automation show up inside that folder whe you expand it?

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 08:39:58 pm »
Hi I'm on mac 10.9.5  cubase 7.5.3  . have you checked the manual to see if your setting sparkle up right? or do you have spark cdm?
TerryM

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 06:11:52 pm »
there doesn't seem to be a "right" way to set up spark. At least in cubase. I can use it so many different ways, but none of them are really what I want.

I have had some success with this the last few days because of your help, I thank you, Spark still isn't behaving correctly, though.

Here is what happens now:

I set spark up as you suggest. I have a midi track, and another track for automation. I play, record, and it seems to MOSTLY play back the right thing.Spark pad hits are all on a midi track, available to edit, how I want. It isn't QUITE what i really played though, i can tell.  To check, I set up an audio buss to record spark perf as an audio track at the same time (as a backup).

Now, I can play back and compare these 2 performances. They should sound the same, right?

NOPE.

Sometimes the midi and audio match, often, they do not. I don't understand. I've been using DAW sequencers for almost 20 years and I am certainly not a stupid person. SPARK VST integration makes no sense.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines