March 29, 2024, 10:02:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: effects pedals with the minibrute  (Read 18744 times)

manisnotabird

effects pedals with the minibrute
« on: June 26, 2014, 07:41:53 am »
It is my understanding that some effects pedals do not like the output of synthesizers, while others work fine with them. I am interested in analog delay and analog flange/phaser pedals (I can get a huge array of digital effects by running my minibrute through my audio interface into my DAW). Anyone have any particular success running their minibrute through analog delay/flange/phaser pedals? Or had pedals that didn't sound good through the minibrute (perhaps despite sounding good for guitar)? Looking for things on the relatively cheap end of the spectrum—$150 or less— and stuff relatively easy to find on craigslist in a big city (I live in Austin, TX).

Ssuraea

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: effects pedals with the minibrute
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:45:27 pm »
The output level and impedance of synth outputs are both wrong for guitar pedals, so results can be a bit...tricky. Personally I like the effect, particularly with distortion pedals. I use Boss by the way. As a rule of thumb, if you keep the output of your synth turned down you should be able to use guitar pedals without overdriving them. Another issue to be careful of is that the output coming out of the other end of the pedals will normally be expecting to "see" a guitar amplifier, so again, the type of line input (mixing desk for example) you normally plug your synth into is all wrong for a pedal and you will have to adjust the gain to compensate. I haven't researched this but I bet that someone somewhere makes a "loop" pedal which converts line levels to guitar levels so you don't get those issues. If not, then one of you clever people out there could make a fortune!

You can have that idea for free  ;)

squil

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:57:52 pm »
i used the minibrute with a lot of guitar pedals. never had a problem. it sounds great. as Ssuraea said sometimes you have to turn the output of the brute down a little if you don't want to distort the sound. which can sound good too.
i don't know what people offer on craigslist. electro harmonix are quite nice and relatively cheap. they are a little noisy but i like the sound. i used the memory boy, small stone, small clone, holy grail with the brute and they all sounded great. i bet there are not too many effect pedals which sound bad with the minibrute (or any synth). but be careful! you can get addicted to effect boxes. like me.  :) :'( ;D

mojotele65

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 04:25:25 pm »
As a guitar player who recently has become addicted to Synths, i have a ton of pedals. i have tried most all of mine with the MiniBrute.   i have not really found any that didnt sound good.   My reccomendation would be a Delay (some of my favs on the cheaper end are: Line 6 Echo Park, TC Electronics Flashback, Boss DD-20, Boss Re-20 space echo -love this one) then a reverb TC Electronics Hall of Fame is affordable and pretty good, then a fuzz pedal.  Synths from a Bass and Lead point of view dig fuzz, my current fav is the Barber Trifecta, and the Zvex fuzz factory. 

Edit: I forgot to add,  use a looper at the end of your chain right before you go to your mixer or sound card,  you can use it as your place to layer your ideas/loops/phrases.  i have bee using the ditto looper, small and easy to use.

Mojo
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:23:52 pm by mojotele65 »

BodoBrute

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 03:04:04 pm »
Hi,

I personally use an Ibanez CCL Analog Chorus and an Alesis Nanoverb with the Minibrute. Both work fine and sound nice (Nanoverb) to fantastic (CCL Chorus). I am also an experienced guitar player with a large stompbox collection, and concerning output levels and impedance I'd like to contribute the following:

Modulation FX (phasers, flangers, chorus...) as well as reverb/delay FX won't stir up much trouble. They are best used in an FX loop anyway (i.e. when connected to a guitar amp), where output levels and impedance are not that different from a synth. Just use and enjoy them, and do not worry.

Amplifying FX (in particular, distortion and wah wah units) may be tricky since the output level of a synth can (but not necessarily is, you just have to try it) be a bit high for them. Being a bit careful with the gain knob (in overdrive/distortion pedals) is not a bad idea. Also, distortion pedals for bass (!) guitar are worth a try since they are designed for operation with the higher output levels of a bass guitar.

Also, be careful if your speaker setup includes tweeters. It is not a bad idea to make them switchable and turn them off when playing a synth through a distortion unit. The keyboard player in a former band of mine some 20+ years ago just blew them within under 5 seconds when he played some 'Deep Purple Distorted Hammond Organ Sound' using his DX7 with the distortion unit he borrowed from the second guitarist...  ;)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines