March 28, 2024, 04:24:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab 49 has a broken Middle C key.  (Read 32079 times)

martinbril

Re: Keylab 49 has a broken Middle C key.
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2015, 04:08:48 am »
Talking about broken keys..
I just got a used Keylab 49. Everything seemed to be working perfectly until I realized that the C1 was unresponsive, only on the aftertouch! The C2 and upper C also don't always respond accordingly.
Anyone has experienced that problem? How did you fix it?
It looks to me more like a connection problem such as the IDC ribbon connector.
In this case, any idea where to get a replacement?

sonic5397

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2015, 07:11:31 pm »
Just to add a couple of comments to Reybarr's fix:  I too just repaired a key that was raised above the others (on my "The Laboratory", not the KeyLab).  Here's how I did it:

1. Took off the outer screws like Reybarr
2.  Turned the keyboard over (so the keys and controls were facing up - like it would be when you play it).
3.  Grabbed the wooden ends and pulled them towards me.  Once the plate under the front of the keys cleared the front of the keys, I rotated everything backwards so that the controls were behind the keyboard.  I left the ribbon cables attached. 
4.  I removed the spring at the back of the key, then pushed down the key and pulled it towards me.  This released the key
5.  Found the little rubber bumper that came off and super-glued it back in.  NOTE:  This part gets glued in about half way down the length of the key (about the depth of a black key on the keyboard (I kept trying to see how it would fit in back near the spring assembly).
6.  Put everything back together and all is well.

Fingers crossed!!!

midinut

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2015, 09:45:52 am »
I've got a KeyLab 61 that I bought used from a forum member. It has worked fine for about a year now. I have the top G on the keyboard popping up as well. I don't expect them to replace it or cover it under warranty, but I would like to order either a new key, new keybed, or something. I don't mind opening it up as I once was a keyboard tech in another life. I filed a support ticket explaining my situation about a week ago but have not heard anything back.

On another note, I also have a MiniLab and am missing one of the little rubber "feet" on the bottom. Whenever I set it flat on a table it wobbles on me. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should try there. I filed another support ticket on this as well hoping they will respond and let me order the part from somewhere.

I'm trying to set up MainStage on a MacBook Pro and am using the KeyLab 61 on top of a M-Audio KeyStation 88es. Pretty righteous combination. If I can't get the KeyLab 61 fixed I can always use my MOXF6 as my top board plus that would give me a backup as well if the MBP goes south. Sorry, just thinking out loud!

JewelzFinazzo

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2016, 01:02:47 pm »
Wow my Keylab 61 has about 6 raised/broken keys. Sure they all work, but this is some total crap. Also my pitch bend wheel is broken. I felt it when it broke. It literally felt like a rubber band was being used for it to bend, and I felt it snap. Im not hard on any of my equipment. These things were just built crappy. So now I have to call Arturia and hopefully work something out that will of course cost me more money to get fixed. Im seriously contemplating throwing my CrapLab off a roof and videotaping it, then posting the video to Arturia's IG for a a month straight. There's absolutely no reason why a keyboard of this so called caliber should be built so horribly!!!

fizzyfizz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2016, 01:07:03 pm »
I can't believe people are still having problems with these keyboards. I got rid of my broken-on-arrival Keylab in December 2014. There's no doubt Arturia's software is great but their hardware stinks!

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2016, 04:29:47 pm »
I'm still using an antiquated The Laboratory 49 controller, with V-Collection 4, and I haven't had one single issue.
It has sat on my recording desk for 4 years now, and the only move was from the apartment to the house we bought 17 months ago.
I'm wondering if some of the issues reported are a result of handling.  I know the keys are lightweight, and I cringe on occasion when I apply after-touch, but I can't imagine to see how this is a common issue.  I do agree that the keys/action could use an upgrade, like the fatar keys that go into many synths as an O.E.M. standard, like most of the Rolands, Korgs, Alesis, & such.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, because I would be ticked too, I'm just finding this occurrence to be rather surprising. That's all.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

Semaphore55

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2016, 04:54:01 am »
I'm still using an antiquated The Laboratory 49 controller, with V-Collection 4, and I haven't had one single issue.
It has sat on my recording desk for 4 years now, and the only move was from the apartment to the house we bought 17 months ago.
I'm wondering if some of the issues reported are a result of handling.  I know the keys are lightweight, and I cringe on occasion when I apply after-touch, but I can't imagine to see how this is a common issue.  I do agree that the keys/action could use an upgrade, like the fatar keys that go into many synths as an O.E.M. standard, like most of the Rolands, Korgs, Alesis, & such.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, because I would be ticked too, I'm just finding this occurrence to be rather surprising. That's all.

Because the original ( non-updated )  keybed in these is an absolute pile of shit. They were manufactured poorly and they break. Look on eBay and all you will see is used keylabs with broken keys. This has nothing to do with handling, it's a manufacturing defect/cheap manufacturing that has caused this and Arturia is beating around the bush to fix this and a few other known issues such as weights falling off, encoders that act funny, sliders that feel like they have sand in the track, etc.

I have 2 keylab 49's right now that I updated the keybeds on because they were broken, I had a keylab 25 I updated the keybed on because it was broken and I have another keylab 49 I am currently selling that has the old keybed in it that is fine plus two other keylab 49's in various pieces.

For you guys with keys popped, the key itself isn't broken, it's the stop that is broken.

It's a damn shame because these could have been amazing controllers!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 04:58:22 am by Semaphore55 »

svobodov

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2017, 12:30:57 pm »
Hello. tell me where I can purchase "Arturia 25-Key Midi Controller Replacement Parts Repair Set"? can I order it from Arturia?
I would be grateful for any iniormation.

mylescdavis

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2018, 11:35:40 pm »
Rio,

it was really simple.

Take the bottom outer edge screws off. This will release the top of the keylab from the top region of the device. be careful when you separate the sections. there are two cables connected. one cable is the aftertouch, the other is the cable that connects the keyboard. I marked the aftertouch cable with a sharpy marker just to stay aware of how it needs to be reconected. it has no markings showing how its polarity is. disconect them and you can work on the keyboard without having cables restraining you.

The key pops of easy.  All you need to do is take the spring off. it just takes a little courage to pop it off. you will see how it is. it comes right off by dislodging it.

Once you do that the key itself has a tab that needs a little pressure to release it. i used a little screwdriver to bend the tab to release the key. Once released, push the key forward and it will come right off.

There should be a broken peace inside the key. (hopefully its still there). The broken piece fell out.  Its a plastic bumper that is what keeps the key from popping up.

I took the broken piece and cleaned it off as much as I could of broken debris.  I got some crazy glue and glued it back on.  You will see how it originally sits. Like a puzzle. It will fit.  Dont glue it until you understand how it sits.

I put the crazy glue on the broken piece and put it in place. I held it for 30 seconds to make sure it was sitting right.  make sure the broken piece is sitting flush before you let the glue dry. 

I let it sit for a hour over lunch. When I returned it was as good as new.

Just do the same putting it back together carefully.  I was surprised that I actually did it.  Its been a hassle, but I feel better about it.

Good Luck and thanks for sharing. I hope this helps

Oh ,, when you put the screws back in on the bottom panel, dont torque them too much because the screws can strip. 

Steve

let me know how it goes

A few years later, and you fixed a problem I thought I had to live with, after Arturia "fixed" the messed-up key, and then it did the same thing in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Myles

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines