April 18, 2024, 02:00:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: SparkLE - first impressions  (Read 1611 times)

punkdSICO

SparkLE - first impressions
« on: May 15, 2014, 04:21:30 pm »
Im back up with Spark!!  Just got a SparkLE.

Previously had the big Spark controller but had a love/hate relationship.  Loved the sound and general analogue feel but, hated the fact that despite the 35(?) knobs, you could only access 3 of the 6 Synth Engine parameters at once (the strongest part of the machine).

Purchased the V Collection which comes with the Vintage DM so, sold my main license and controller.

Here are my early thoughts on SparkLE:
-   Its dinky.. Really dinky!  I don’t think the videos really show you how small it is.  I really love the small/solid size..
-   Same 3 knob access to the 6 synth engine parameters but, there are only 3 knobs so I don’t feel cheated.  The big controller just fustrated the hell out of me “all this knobs but so little control!!”
-   The pads and knobs are quite a bit smaller then the big controller (not a problem for me)
-   The pads are not as solid as I would have hoped – the actually wobble within the housing
-   Pads can acidently multi trigger due to their lesser quality
-   I could not work out how to change screens from the controller like you could with the old controller

Overall, despite how the above comes across, Im really impressed with it.  At 200euro I think it is a fantastic price.  I also have the latest NI Maschine and love the fact you can access the complete synth engine without having the reassign knobs but, for reasons that I cant put my finger on, I prefer Spark.  Maybe it is because Spark is not trying to be a DAW and knows that it is a drum machine.  Im a huge analogue snob and have little time for anything digital or VSTi’s but Spark still seems to have its own Mojo in a way that most digital stuff lacks..

Im impressed, Arturia..  Good one..

Paul
www.punkdisco.co.uk
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
Text SLUT to: 29 7 29 7
Here’s the video:  www.youtu.be/Zl0PTZKy7fg

djwaxxy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: SparkLE - first impressions
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 02:25:11 am »
I have maschine too and I prefer maschine in standalone mode its so much deeper and has real song structure but some of the kits sound more analogue and phatter on the spark.i have most of the maschine expansions and they are more modern sounding but for retro sounding drums the spark beats it hands down.i also like the filter pad on spark its a good idea but they need to do something concerning massive spikes in volumes when using it too filter separate sounds if your trying to filter a kick or synth part it goes crazy and distorts im hoping its just a bug and arturia fix it soon

kcearl

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:48:04 am »
I have both too and its funny how little overlap I feel there is...Sparks a drum machine, Maschine is a groovebox...both have strengths and weaknesses.

Kinda like comparing an xoxox box v an MPC.

I prefer Spark, round robin user kits are a winner, the modular drums are excellent too. Maschines library and expansions are superb though. Best to own both...plus some hardware lol

punkdSICO

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 01:15:11 pm »
I have both too and its funny how little overlap I feel there is...Sparks a drum machine, Maschine is a groovebox...both have strengths and weaknesses.

Kinda like comparing an xoxox box v an MPC.

I prefer Spark, round robin user kits are a winner, the modular drums are excellent too. Maschines library and expansions are superb though. Best to own both...plus some hardware lol
Agreed – it is surprising how little Maschine/Spark overlap there is.  On paper you would be forgiven for thinking they are both just variations on a theme.  In reality, they are very difference.

You are spot on when you say:

Spark      = x0x drum machine (on steroids, obviously)
Maschine   = MPC type sampler (also on steroids).

Spark + Maschine = great combination..

Im really glad I have Spark again.  All I need to do now is work out how to get easy and constant control of the 6 synth engine marco knobs without having to reassign the knobs..
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
Text SLUT to: 29 7 29 7
Here’s the video:  www.youtu.be/Zl0PTZKy7fg

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines