March 28, 2024, 09:32:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Random power-on issues  (Read 4387 times)

jooga1972

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Random power-on issues
« on: May 01, 2014, 03:59:29 pm »
Hey all,

First post here though I've had my MicroBrute for a couple of months now and have been lurking around the forum for info and input. I can say (knock wood..) that my exploring the MB has been problem-free so far and this small but huge-sounding synth (I simply LOVE the sounds one can create with it more and more...) is now  totally incorporated in my live rig (Reason MIDI sync to MBrute, MBrute CV out to Korg Volca Keys CV in..the rest of the synths are set up separately) as we've been busy preparing for our band's first gig. These days I encountered an issue which, in my opinion, is definitely abnormal: sometimes when I turn the power on the only led that dimly lights up is the green one by the ADSR section and the synth doesn't play any sound. If this happens I reboot the MB and all the leds light up and the synth works as it is supposed to. The synth, more often than not, powers up normally but this random 'unpower-up' tends to occur regularly. I've only used the PSU supplied with the MB in the box.
I'm a little concerned if this presumed malfuction can become persistent rendering the MB unusable...which would turn me very mad.
Anyone had any issues like this or has suggestions as to what the source of the problem can be?  Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Gabor
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:09:33 am by jooga1972 »

zapoteke

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Random power-on issues
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 11:22:48 pm »
Hi all!

Me also new here and exactly as Gabor I have encountered the SAME issue  :o 

Have a different set up but as I stod "jaming" today the microbrute just fell out and in a couple of times and then "died". Un hooked everything and just put in the power and it seemed working again for a minute and the same thing happened, "died" and when flicking the power switch the green one at the ADSR section lid up for a moment and then again - dead.

Is it CV-problem? I'm quite new to using CV/Gate as triggers and such.

Is it a warrant issue?

Cheers,
MArkus

jooga1972

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 02:30:29 pm »
Hey Markus,
Sorry to hear you have similar issues with your MB. Do I understand it correctly that your synth tends to go 'dead' while in use? If so, I'd take it back to the dealer as this sounds like a total malfunction. My MB, at this time and hopefully forever, only 'plays dead' every now and then right after I switch it on and a simple switch off/switch on takes care of the problem, whatever it is.  I don't think these issues have anything to do with CV or triggering. The PSU or something power-related inside the MB may be the culprit.
Let's hope Bruno or someone at Arturia's tech dept is reading this and will chime in with suggestions or solutions.
Cheers, Gabor

zapoteke

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 04:42:23 pm »
Hi Gabor!

YES! It died while I was playing/using it yesterday. And I swithced everything off, pulled out all the cables, put them back in and switched it on and it worked for like a minute again and then died ones more. And now it won't power on as it should...  ???

Yes I think I have to report this as malfunction cause I have never experienced this kind of behaviour in analog synths before.

cheers,
Markus

jooga1972

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 05:03:40 pm »
This is bad news Markus, I hope you can sort it out soon. The MicroBrute is truly a great-sounding and highly compact analog synth, too bad though that the same amount of effort and care were not invested in quality control. This is a relatively new product which is available at a really good price but none of these facts can justify as an excuse for MicroBrutes going dead or malfunctioning in any way, all this too soon after buyers had started using them. I'm only saying this because I read some arguments posted here on behalf of Arturia that this is a cheap (affordably priced) analog synth and as such we should accept that cheaper = less reliable. I'm not quoting this but this is what that post was supposed to communicate. A really weird way of handling technical issues and customers, to say the least... Anyway, I would have gladly paid 100 or 150 EUR more for a more stable and reliable instrument. Mine still works OK (though I'm not sure if the mod-matrix is flawless.... some patchings seem to totally leave the sound unchanged whatsoever.. yet I may not do things correctly...I will have to experiment more with this...) but I'd lie if I said I'm not worried a little. Also, I guess I'd love to add a BeatStep to my rig but it's another affordable device so what should I expect? I'll wait for more user feedback before I decide and buy... or not buy.
In case you haven't tried yet, you may want to check if your MicroBrute powers up with a different PSU that has the same voltage and amp specs. Others have had similar 'no proper power up' issues and in many cases the PSU turned out to be defective.
Cheers, Gabor

jooga1972

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 11:21:14 am »
Last night I did a little experimenting which led me to believe that  it may be the power switch that causes the random power-on issues. I switched the unit on, then repeatedly unplugged and replugged the PSU with the main switch being in the 'on' position all the time. The MB powered up all right every time. Then switched it on and off and out of about 10 tries the synth once failed to power up as it should (only the green ADSR lit up dimly..). All in all, these power issues are probably either PSU- or, in my case at least, main switch-related.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:09:49 am by jooga1972 »

mmillerm

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 03:55:38 am »
I experience the same issue as Jooga does, with probably about the same frequency.

zapoteke

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 11:22:18 am »
Update on my side...

I tried another PSU but that appeared to not work at all, wrong size of the connector. So after had the Brute shut off for about 24h I tried to connect everything again as I had done before and it magically worked! Had my fingers crossed and started everything up and let the set up play and play over the night and in the morning everything worked as should. Shut everything down and let it be for a day and started it up again and it still works...   :D

So for the time being I just have my fingers crossed BUT I can't risk taking this to a gig and have it brake down on me.  :-\

I still think there is something fishy about it... I will buy a new PSU just to be on the safe side.

/Markus

p.s. if someone is curious my set up on the matter was: TR-606 (triggin the MS20 and through the MS20 givingthe Dark Time a clock to trigger MB) MS-20 mini, Doepfer Dark Time and the Microbrute
d.s.

jooga1972

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 09:57:35 pm »
Update on my side...

I tried another PSU but that appeared to not work at all, wrong size of the connector. So after had the Brute shut off for about 24h I tried to connect everything again as I had done before and it magically worked! Had my fingers crossed and started everything up and let the set up play and play over the night and in the morning everything worked as should. Shut everything down and let it be for a day and started it up again and it still works...   :D

So for the time being I just have my fingers crossed BUT I can't risk taking this to a gig and have it brake down on me.  :-\

I still think there is something fishy about it... I will buy a new PSU just to be on the safe side.

/Markus

p.s. if someone is curious my set up on the matter was: TR-606 (triggin the MS20 and through the MS20 givingthe Dark Time a clock to trigger MB) MS-20 mini, Doepfer Dark Time and the Microbrute
d.s.

Glad to read your MBrute works as meant to! :) Also, it sounds like you have a very nice arsenal of synths. :) Analog gear in my setup at this time includes the Brute and a Korg Volca Keys (which is a powerful little fellow at a very affordable price, btw...). I also have a microKorg and a Teenage Engineering OP-1 (the Swedish weirdo...love it a lot!). Soon a Waldorf Pulse 2 will be joining the team, just get a little stronger on the analog-side. :)

wackelpeter

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 05:18:17 pm »
As mentioned in the other thread, i didn't think it's the psu... have used another psu with similar values and it was the same...
when it's not working try to get the filter on self-oscillation you'll see the filter still works, same for the EG the green LED behaves like the EG settings are...
VCA should work also try to put some Audio Signal to the ext. Audio in jack and i guess you will hear the sounds and can manipulate them with the filter...

as most of you seem to have used the patch-matrix when it died i suppose it could be shortened something on the inside when the cable was plugged in (believe it's not much space left inside and i slightly remember having read something about this here)
i for instance had plugged in some of the patchcables to modulate filter or pitch... don't remember know output was modulating which Input but they where plugged in... but in my case it wasn't working with the cables unplugged...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines